2022 Mini SE - In Focus: Active Grill Shutters

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by GvilleGuy, Oct 11, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. mikeg0305

mikeg0305 Active Member

This happened to us. When we picked the car up the dealer said it was charging all night on their Level 2 charger but still only had 60%. Got home and plugged it in to our brand new Juicebox 40 and it took forever to finish the charge. After hours on the phone with the dealer, Mini USA and Enel (Juicebox) the tech person at Enel suggested I check this setting and it was indeed at the lower level.

Easy fix though. Duh.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Jim In Tucson

Jim In Tucson Well-Known Member

I finally had time to get out my bright spot light and look a bit closer to the back side of the shutters. It looks to me like there are two small plastic ‘brackets’ that retain the shutters in place. On the cars where the shutters are ‘loose’ I’d be curious if those ‘brackets’ we’re broken or if the shutters were simply not inserted behind the bracket during assembly. Inquiring minds and all…

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

wessy likes this.
  4. GvilleGuy

GvilleGuy Well-Known Member

It's been a few months with a fair few new SE owners on this forum - is everyone checking their active grill shutter assembly? I would be curious to know if they are still getting shipped with the assembly not properly attached.

5. moofpup

moofpup Active Member

I asked the dealer to check mine at delivery and he said it's ok and that the dealers got a memo about this. It was going to be addressed at the factory because of the number of complaints.

wessy, endquote and GvilleGuy like this.
  6. chrunck

chrunck Well-Known Member

I poked at mine right after I got it and it seems ok.

GvilleGuy likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. endquote

endquote Active Member

Same, I had the dealer check it first, thanks to this thread.

GvilleGuy likes this.
  9. You might also consider a plastic welding product made by Bondic. It is a UV cured adhesive similar to that used by dentists to attach crowns.

Sent from my iPad using Inside EVs

10. Alf_W

Alf_W Active Member

Mine is loose on the drivers side. Going in tomorrow for warrantee repair.

GvilleGuy likes this.
  11. Urbanengineer

Urbanengineer Active Member

Now I have to go see !

ghost likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Alf_W

Alf_W Active Member

Had mine re-fastened yesterday. Interesting observation— the work order said they had to remove the front bumper and grill to inspect and repair it. It was not a quick fix; I waited nearly two hours for the work to completed.

All seems good now.

Miguel A Dessavre and GvilleGuy like this.
  14. wessy

wessy Active Member

I wonder if the memo that was sent to dealers and the attention this is getting at Plant Oxford was all prompted by your discovery and subsequent video, @GvilleGuy? I bet at the very least your involvement was a contributing factor. :D

15. GvilleGuy

I think it was a combination of (1) showing them the problem with my Mini, (2) pointing out that the new SE they had sitting on the curb had the problem, PLUS (3) I told them about all the other owners reporting the same problem from my video, that it got escalated up the chain pretty quickly. So I think it may have helped a bit.

16. ghost

ghost Active Member

I checked mine when I picked it up at the dealer in late Nov, thanks to this thread. Fortunately, they weren't loose. I appreciate the heads up, too, Gvilleguy.

Urbanengineer and GvilleGuy like this.
  17. Thanks for the reminder. I just checked and shutter assembly is loose on driver side. I picked up mine at the end of December but missed to check it out. Will visit dealer to get it fixed.

GvilleGuy likes this.
  18. ER13

ER13 Member

Built in November.

Delivery in December.

No issues with the shutters. All good here, even with the expedited end-of-year QC check at the port.

Miguel A Dessavre and GvilleGuy like this.
  19. Miguel A Dessavre

Miguel A Dessavre New Member

My 2022 SE also have the left side shutter loose. What if is a bad design. Maybe the front wind will take off the shutter again? Did you checked the shutter after the dealer fixed ?

20. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Welcome to this MINI Cooper SE forum. I love your avatar image! If that's your SE, then we need to see many more photos, please. We'd still like to see your SE even if it doesn't have that superb paint job, great stripes, and amazing rims.

21. Miguel A Dessavre

Miguel A Dessavre New Member

Thanks for the welcome o this forum. I wish to have this SE model I got it from the BMW website. This SE is the 2023 prototype. Mine is Iconic Black 2022 MINI SE .jpg

insightman and wessy like this.
  22. TempoHouse

TempoHouse Member

The passenger side shutters were loose on our 22 SE. Dealer fixed it while we waited (no appointment). It took less than 10 minutes I think. I check the shutters every once in a while since the fix, which was about four months ago, and so far they have been fine.

Miguel A Dessavre likes this.
  23. GvilleGuy

My shutters have been solid since they were attached properly. I don't think we've had anyone report them coming loose a second time. My Mini even had a very hard impact which blew a tire since then, and the shutters did not pop loose.

wessy likes this.