Dealership anecdote

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Kerbe, Dec 16, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Kerbe

Kerbe Well-Known Member

So many have commented about the longevity of their fob batteries - I don't know why mine failed. My car has a December 2018 build date and I purchased it new off-the-lot in August of 2019 - with 59 miles on the odometer. When I test-drove it a month earlier it had an empty battery: The Service Manager confirmed that they had never charged the vehicle so test-drives were given running the engine: The salespeople said the Clarity was "noisy and underpowered" and several asked why I wanted it when the Insight had better mpg...

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. fotomoto

fotomoto Active Member

It was from use. This newer tech is low power but works 24/7 searching to connect with the car and vice-versa. Eventually, the car's 12v battery goes down in its continuous search looking for FOB's. In the early days of this tech, Toyota used an on/off button under the dash as a battery saver for long term parking.

4. Steven B

Steven B Active Member

Likely that fast chargers are significantly more expensive that L2 and since they overpaid for their vehicle, Telsa owners are using L2 to make ends meet.

5. My guess is it depends on how often your key is close enough to be talking to the car (it may be in a low power mode if very far from the car, but getting pings if closer)
    Dealers really had no clue. As with many others, I read about the tech and sought out the Clarity at the dealership. I sold myself the car--the dealer had little to do with it. They just did the paperwork.

Not sure what use the dealer is, really. Tesla has a big advantage here, not dealing with the different incentives that the dealer and manufacturer have.

Clarity_Newbie and Kerbe like this.
  6. This is consistent - across Legacy brands selling EVs. They don't seem to be particularly interested, or necessary, when it comes to what amounts to taking an order for the manufacturer.

They're no longer a justifiable expense to buyers.

Clarity_Newbie and Kerbe like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Kerbe

Kerbe Well-Known Member

The only people to whom they have value are politicians as dealerships and dealer organizations pump money into campaigns.

Clarity_Newbie and insightman like this.