electric parking brake problem

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by PapaWangsta, Dec 12, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Actually, the Clarity Plug-In Hybrid is on a fuel-cell platform rather than an ICE platform.

PapaWangsta likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. capt3450

capt3450 New Member

Don't know what year of your car, but in mine (2018) is the sign of the 12V battery need to replace. So check the battery voltage if under ~12v. Temporary fix is jump start or use car battery booster - goodluck

PapaWangsta likes this.
  4. PapaWangsta

PapaWangsta Member

Good info, will check on that. Mine is 2018 as well. Was gonna take the car to the shop for check up but the error showed up in the app for 2 days and went away. Yep always carry the jump starter and spare tire in the trunk just in case.

5. insightman

What kind of jack do you carry for your 2-ton car? I foolishly tried the electric jack I'd been using for years with my 1,850-lb Honda Insight. I'm glad it failed before I got the wheel off. Smart people always use jack stands for safety, but I'm not one of them.

PapaWangsta likes this.
  6. PapaWangsta

PapaWangsta Member

Oh geez, sorry to hear that. I used to carry 2.5 ton hydraulic jack and didn't feel the need for it. Now I only carry a small scissor jack + small spare donut wheel.

Link for scissor jack: https://www.amazon.com/Wheelpal-Scissor-Capacity-Trolley-Ratchet/dp/B08TMRRNCL/ref=sr_1_4?crid=LN0CHLYUOL79&keywords=wheelpal+scissor+jack&qid=1639859247&sprefix=wheelpal+scissor+jack%2Caps%2C130&sr=8-4

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. insightman

Nice jack--much nicer than the ones you have to crank. Do you have a Honda donut so you did you find a non-Honda spare that works with Honda's lugnuts?

PapaWangsta likes this.
  9. PapaWangsta

PapaWangsta Member

I have the Infiniti donut tire. Which fits PERFECTLY on the Clarity no mods needs it. OEM Clarity lug nut fits right on it.
    Infiniti Donut.jpg

insightman likes this.
  10. Robert_Alabama

Robert_Alabama Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, the Infiniti spare shown in the pic above above comes with conical lug nuts and the Honda uses ball lug nuts. I copied these descriptions to help:

"Conical wheel nut feature a straight taper at the seat area. Conical fasteners are also called “tapered” or “cone” types.
    Radius seats are also called “ball” or “rounded” seats. As the name implies, the seat features a radiused “ball” shape that nestles into a ball-shaped pocket in the wheel.
    The golden rule, when discussing seat styles, is extremely simple: Never mix them! If a wheel is designed for conical 60-degree seats, the only fastener seat style that can be used is a 60-degree conical type. The same rule applies for radius and flat seat styles."

So you really should get a set of 5 conical wheel nuts to use with the Infiniti Spare.

BTW, not all of the Infiniti spares use conical lugs. I've seen a few with Mag type lugs (same with the Nissan Wheels).

Also, the Infiniti wheel in the pic fits a 66.1 mm hub. The Honda wheel fits a 64.1 mm hub. You really should use hub centric ring adapter of 66.1 mm to 64.1 mm with this wheel.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2021
    PapaWangsta likes this.
  11. PapaWangsta

PapaWangsta Member

Hmm, I see what you are saying but fit perfectly fine with OEM Clarity lug nuts. Drove around the town no issues so far.
    Correct, you do need hub ring but I've seen people using it without any hub ring.
    This the hub ring on my Infiniti spare donut tire.
    Amazon link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AAOEKCK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Robert_Alabama

Robert_Alabama Well-Known Member

Just because you can do a thing doesn't mean you should do a thing. I wouldn't trust driving far or fast with the wrong lug nuts on the wheel. I'm not as strong on the hub centric adapters, but it seems that the wheel should mimic the OEM fit, so I made that happen with aluminum hub centric adapters JB- welded to the aluminum rim so that the wheel fits flush on the shallow hubs of the Honda, just like the OEM (Nissan and Infiniti have much deeper hubs and fit "deeper" in the wheel). You are right that there are all kinds of opinions on the "need or worthlessness" for hub centric adapters.

PapaWangsta likes this.
  14. PapaWangsta

PapaWangsta Member

Absolutely. Anything that's better than what Honda gave us, just an air inflator. One needs to be creative vs stuck in the middle of the road.

Robert_Alabama likes this.
  15. fotomoto

fotomoto Active Member

Have you tried using it on the 4,000 lb Clarity?

PapaWangsta likes this.
  16. It isn’t necessary to lift an entire 4000lb car off the ground in order to change a tire. The jack, referenced previously, has a 3300lb capacity.

PapaWangsta likes this.
  17. NorCalPete

NorCalPete Active Member

I wanted a slightly beefer jack, so I went with a 2 ton scissor jack: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07NVBDNXM?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title
    I combined it with a 1/2 inch jack adapter:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0793PJBB6?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

We carry a Harbor Freight 1/2 inch torque wrench with a short extension that can be used to crank the jack too. It's my wife's car, so I wanted it to be safe and relatively easy for her to swap on the spare (with appropriate hub spacer and lug nuts). She was able to use these tools without difficulty when practicing changing the tire in our driveway. I also appreciated having those items along when I drove the car from CA to NY and back (after getting her permission, off course!). :)

Robert_Alabama and PapaWangsta like this.
  18. NorCalPete

NorCalPete Active Member

We only carry the spare for out-of-town trips (which haven't occurred often since the pandemic) so I also bought a "storage rack" for when the spare is in the garage. ;)

IMG_20211219_140800881.jpg

insightman, PapaWangsta and fotomoto like this.
  19. PapaWangsta

PapaWangsta Member

Damn, post a pic when you r done with that old school beauty.

20. MrFixit

MrFixit Well-Known Member

It has no engine, therefore I assume you plan to electrify that thing ?? :rolleyes:

PapaWangsta likes this.
  21. NorCalPete

NorCalPete Active Member

LOL! Actually, some people have done EV-powered street rods. I considered that option but both the cost and the skills required are WAY out of my league. The current plan is to complete the build (a 1936 Nash Ambassador) completely on my own, working out of my garage -- this will allow me to learn many new skills (e.g., body work) and help keep costs down. I already have a donor car for the drive train swap (a 1997 Suburban), and the Nash currently is sitting on independent front and rear suspension (from a 1979 Jaguar XJ-12). It's literally sitting on it -- I was getting ready to fabricate the front suspension brackets when the project stalled out due to health issues, and then the pandemic. :confused: If I don't get back to it within 10 years, maybe I'll use my wife's Clarity's drive train for the donor! :eek: Most likely, however, I'll decide to stay married to my wife. :D

PapaWangsta likes this.
  22. Is that a Model-T under the cover?

PapaWangsta likes this.
  23. NorCalPete

NorCalPete Active Member

Good catch! It's a '23 T-bucket. Here it is with the top off.

Top Off - At Bidwell Park.jpg

Attached Files:

PapaWangsta likes this.