Trunk Lid Tension Adjustment

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by vicw, Sep 2, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Thanks for the follow up. The takeaway from this might be to test the spring tension before the 3 year warranty expires and if their function seems compromised, request they be replaced under warranty.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. vicw

vicw Active Member

Excellent point, for those still under warranty. It would be interesting hearing the discussion with the dealer, whether the behavior is "normal", or not, especially with a vehicle that they don't have on hand to compare against.

The service rep was concerned about that this morning, which I appreciated, and we first spent a bit of time comparing a new Accord, but they weren't side-by side for a close comparison. The Accord trunk lid seems to behave a bit differently than the Clarity, even with the new springs.

4. soobaerodude

soobaerodude New Member

I have a 2020 Clarity, and just had the springs replaced under warranty. I told them the trunk would not stay open when parked on my driveway and that my previous 2019 never had this issue.

With the new springs, the trunk now stays open. No more head bumps while unloading groceries

5. vicw

vicw Active Member

Glad to see you were successful getting a warranty replacement of your springs, and that it made a difference. Your comment about the trunk closing when you were parked on your driveway (presumably uphill), reminded me that I previously had the same experience. When I had parked on the steepest part of my driveway, to bring the emptied garbage can in, the trunk lid would drop down on me, and I had given up trying to do that. I just tried it several times with my newly installed springs, and the lid stayed up. If I left the lid down a few inches it wouldn't hold, but at least I know it will now stay up if fully raised.

6. That center tab is a potential head banger for a 5’ 10” person.

7. To remove this ad click here.