Alarm System

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by NextEv, Sep 5, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. fasttr

fasttr Member

Almost all professional thief’s steal a car with a flatbed. So you would need the motion sensors to even know a Mini was stolen. And the alarm protects the wheels as well (if someone hears it and does something) as the alarm will go off if the vehicle slant changes as the car is jacked up. Alarm probably works well if it is in your driveway or garage. Beyond that it is true most people ignore car alarms because they go off all the time.

Texas22Step and Novadar like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

It would prevent thieves from absconding with the SE's catalytic converter, too. Wait...

4. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

I've had friends who've had their catalytic converters cut off recently, it's been hard not to make smug comments. That's not the way to be sympathetic.

Texas22Step, GvilleGuy and Novadar like this.
  5. fasttr

fasttr Member

Big problem with CC everywhere. They just dive under the car with an electric saws all and get it out within minutes.

Novadar likes this.
  6. Tommm

Tommm Well-Known Member

Three of my cars have been stolen. RX-7 GSL (1990), Legend Coupe (1998), 944S2 (2003)

When the RX-7 was stolen I was devastated. My baby. When the Porsche was stolen I, and the people I got of the LIRR train with laughed. It was parked 2 spots away from where the Legend mast was five years earlier.

The same week the Porsche was stolen my beat friend was diagnosed with stage 4. Made the new motor and other work recently done to the car seem trivial. If they want the Mini, have at it. That's what insurance is for.

Texas22Step likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. MustangMan

MustangMan New Member

Looks like it is not on the 2022 model year either as it is not on mine. On my Mustang Mach-E I get a notification that the doors have been opened and which one. I like that a lot and would love it on my MINI.

NextEv likes this.
  9. atlsk8r

atlsk8r Member

Yeah I think the alarm is only included with the Iconic. We paid like $500 to add it to our Signature Plus.

NextEv likes this.
  10. GvilleGuy

GvilleGuy Well-Known Member

Correct - the alarm is included in Iconic. I have set mine off twice by accident. It definitely gets your attention.

11. Texas22Step

Texas22Step Well-Known Member

In a way, paying $ for an alarm accessory (whether as an option or in the price of the vehicle) is primarily for the benefit of the insurance company. The alarm may deter some vehicle thefts or cut short attempts to strip a car, but in the end the insurance should reimburse the owner for the loss (less deductible). Even with a modest discount from some insurance companies for cars equipped with an alarm, you are still paying what amounts to another insurance deductible, upfront, whether the alarm's presence in the car ever makes a difference in the real world or not.

As far as the car itself and sentimentalities, I remember a local auto dealer who for years advertised his low selling prices on radio by saying, "I ain't married to none of them."

As @Tommm wrote above, "The same week the Porsche was stolen my beat [sic] friend was diagnosed with stage 4. Made the new motor and other work recently done to the car seem trivial. If they want the Mini, have at it. That's what insurance is for."

Last edited: Sep 8, 2021
    Novadar and NextEv like this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. TNGJ

TNGJ New Member

Easy, usually with aluminum foil over side mirror

14. NextEv

NextEv Member

Hope they are not monitoring this forum :)

15. NextEv

NextEv Member

I agree with your thoughts. I posted earlier saying that the insurance companies apply some discounts to the policies, thinking it might serve as an additional/possible justification to buy this $500 Alarm System option, but then looked at my own policy closer. It's an embarrassingly low amount of ~$15 annually for two cars!!!

Texas22Step and chrunck like this.
  16. polyphonic

polyphonic Well-Known Member

I can just imagine the headlines "The thieves may have gotten away with it if they bothered to read about the Mini Cooper's special Green+ mode..." :)

Novadar likes this.
  17. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

I believe it's standard since the SE has an LTE connection for updates and navigation, look under Vehicle Settings for Vehicle Tracking. And yes it's easy to turn off if you know where the menu setting is.

setracking.jpg

Novadar and NextEv like this.
  18. Novadar

Novadar Active Member

This is ripe for a Smosh video.

19. Tommm

Tommm Well-Known Member

oops. That's two typos in one post. Teach me to post using the phone. :)

GvilleGuy likes this.
  20. I am 100% sure the SE is car jack proof. Once the driver's door is opened the whole thing turns off and if you keep your key with you you just run like hell.....;)