To regen or not regen?......that is the question.

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Dgercp, Aug 18, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Dgercp

Dgercp New Member

I was impressed with the pure physics logic that coasting on zero regen was optimal to preserve as much kinetic energy as possible. Many have said the efficiency of regen is max 75%. So I decided to do my own little test:

One week of driving basically the same suburban route on eco xero regen and one week on eco regen 1. No highway driving and very careful. No abrupt stops or starts. Used blend of paddle or light brake to slow/stop when needed. No AC.

Findings: 5.88miles/Kwh on regen 1 and 5.84miles/Kwh on zero regen.

My conclusion, There is no efficiency driving difference between setting at regen 1 and regen zero. Seems regen is great when you need to slow or stop but not necessary to be "on" all the time. So do whichever you enjoy most. I did not test regen 3 because it is simply too jerky for me, maybe that would improve efficiency? Maybe auto-regen would?

Appreciate any thoughts/comments and please enjoy your Kona ev :)

electriceddy likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. nigels

nigels Active Member

Thanks for sharing your analysis @Dgercp. I must admit that maximizing the miles/km per kWh has definitely gamified the driving experience for me. I'm always disappointed when I can't maintain a 5+ mi/kWh high score in the summer. I also love seeing the car "getting miles back" through regeneration. For me, it's just a game though. I'm not driving long distances and trying to make it to a charging station. In those long distance journeys it seems that speed (and HVAC use) has more of an impact on range than which regeneration mode you're in. If you have the luxury of driving more slowly, you'll go further on a charge, but take longer to get there, caveat potentially making fewer time-consuming stops to recharge.

In my ICE car I was surprised that cruise control was usually more economical than my driving. It feels like that's not true with an EV, where coasting and maintaining kinetic energy works better than slavishly sticking to a fixed speed up hill and down.

Dgercp likes this.
  4. I am averaging ~120 Wh/km using regen 1 as default eco settings and have used that setting since new. Auto regen is a nice feature and will step up to the plate when required .There is also quite a bit of regen if you apply the brakes lightly, both functions are displayed in the energy use screen showing recuperated energy. It is also probably easier on the gearbox with lighter regen setting and may help avoid the "clicking sound" that has surfaced on more than a few cars, including my previous model 2018 build - which I had set to level 3.

mho likes this.
  5. KonaTom

KonaTom Well-Known Member

I use those settings too and sometimes switch to 0 regen, but always use auto regen too. I see the 2022 has a new driver display. It has kph on left large dial and "rpm" or power on right hand analog type dial. It really swings when you apply power, like an rpm dial, I kind of like it. Makes you more aware of the amount of power being consumed, especially when you floor it.

Surlycat likes this.
  6. The test conditions were nearly identical as far as the car is concerned so the results should not be too surprising. Slowing down by driver action uses regen no matter if it be via the fixed settings, the "brake" pedal or the left-paddle-hold.
    The only difference is that the brake pedal uses the friction brakes under a walking speed while the left paddle hold uses battery power to stop and hold position.
    Perhaps a better test would be to compare left paddle hold only vs the foot brake only. The static level setting of regen in either situation should not matter, in theory.

Tony M. likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Dgercp

Dgercp New Member

i agree regen is regen, but in my comparison, zero regen involved more free coasting and only slowing/stopping when needed. On static regen the car is slowing everytime I lift off the accelerator.

9. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Well-Known Member

Interesting that you find Regen 3 too jerky. After a couple months of playing around with the different levels, I finally just settled on leaving it in 3 pretty much all the time. I don't find it jerky at all, and it didn't take long to get used to. Now I find driving a car without regen -- like the ICE car I rented on a trip in June -- feels weird and a bit scary.

Jimct, Tomek, OzKona and 1 other person like this.
  10. ElectricArt

ElectricArt New Member

I set default to regen 1.
    Use the paddle as needed.
    If you set set default to regen 2 or 3 your brake lights come on every time you let off the accelerator.
    When you pass someone then move over and let off the accelerator the other car thinks you are doing a “brake check “ on them.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

11. Yes, that could incite some road rage. My Kona is new and because we're in Covid lockdown here I haven't been able to test it much - 2000 daylight highway km in June, nothing since then:(. During that period and with a few short trips to shops I have found I like regen 3. I modulate the accelerator so as not to jerk my passengers around - ie back off the accelerator gently and progressively as required rather than lift the foot off completely. So can anyone tell me if I back off slightly on the accelerator in regen 3 but still have a light retarding effect, do the brake lights come on?

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Tomek

Tomek Active Member

I confirm. I tried different riding styles and ended up staying with regen 3. It seems to me both the most economical and simply the most comfortable. What's more - sometimes I have the impression that an even sharper setting of recuperation could be needed, such as regen 4, and certainly - one pedal drive, i.e. that after releasing the gas the car slows down to a stop, without using the brake or paddle. In dense city traffic, this would allow for more active driving. But even without it, I hardly need to use the brake.

Tony M. and Bruce M. like this.
  14. Dgercp

Dgercp New Member

I really like when I coast on regen 0 and know I am not using a single electron! Brings back memories of my skateboarding days. Now, if I can only figure out how to do it uphill :)

15. ElectricArt

ElectricArt New Member

Take it for a drive at night.
    You can see the center brake light when it comes on.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

16. It's generally understood that 2 bars of regen on the bar graph (left side of main dash) will trigger the brake light.

17. Surlycat

Surlycat Member

This was helpful - I was wondering about the brake lights. What’s a brake check on someone?

Sent from my iPad using Inside EVs

18. Surlycat

Surlycat Member

Yes - I’m 4 weeks in on my 2022 Kona, and I really like the “rpm” analogous dial - it shows “charge” and “power” and agree that it’s helpful for monitoring power use and acceleration surge demands on the battery.

19. Surlycat

Surlycat Member

I tend to use the regen style that is the default setting for each drive mode. Thus, on surface streets in more stop and go traffic, i use Eco and regen 3, but on the freeway, I use regen 1. These are supplemented by paddle adjustments too.

Speaking of regen and paddle adjustments - 1 thing I want to confirm with you all is that releasing the accelerator, while kicking in regen, doesn’t bring the car to a stop. That has taken an adjustment for me, coming from the Bolt, where L mode (maximum regen) ultimately “brakes” the car to a halt via regen. I know I can stop the Kona by applying the paddle, but I notice that if I release the paddle, the car will coast the last few feet - without noticeable regen force occurring. Am I sensing that correctly - that there’s a noticeable coasting mini surge after releasing the paddle even when slowing the car down? Just trying to finesse my regen/deceleration/paddle squeeze & release without running into the car in front or jerking my passengers around!

Wildeyed likes this.
  20. Thanks, but no bargraph on mine. No doubt the dial on the right is the equivalent, but I have not figured out the correlation between the brake lights and the needle. The pic shows the dials with the car at rest. I have not yet seen the needle reach the second mark below where it is under regen. I think ElectricArt's night time drive might be in order.

upload_2021-8-20_10-43-12.jpeg

KiwiME likes this.
  21. It's a polite term for what a*holes do who cut in front of you and jam on the brakes, inviting a rear ender which you then have to defend.

Surlycat and electriceddy like this.
  22. Yep. Kona "creeps" unless you apply and hold the left paddle or hit the brakes.

Surlycat likes this.
  23. By the way, it's nice to hear from new owners lately. The growing pains, questions and concerns bring back the launch of 2 1/2 years ago.

Newbies should browse old threads. There are lots of good answers and stories there. I had fun on the weekend reading the back and forth conversations from 2018!

Shark and Surlycat like this.