Hyundai making solid-state batteries?

Discussion in 'Hyundai' started by Jack, Oct 4, 2017.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Jack

Jack Administrator

https://insideevs.com/hyundai-begins-small-scale-production-solid-state-batteries/

Hyundai/Kia/Genesis are way behind in the EV race (mainly due to fuel cell commitment?) but they are taking big steps toward an electric future by producing their own solid state batteries.

from the article...
    "Solid-state batteries are often claimed to be more energy dense than today’s technology."

What other benefits does solid state bring and what are the alternative options?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Steve

Steve New Member

I won't claim that I know a whole lot about solid state batteries. But I will say that I think Kia and Hyundai are driving forward pretty hard now into EVs. I mean a few cars with multiple options (hybrid, PHEV, BEV), subcompact SUVs coming to market with decent range, etc. Though they may have gotten a late start due to fuel cells, they are now working faster than say ... European automakers that make daily announcements and have nothing to show for it. We shall see where the future takes these Korean automakers, but the prospects look good. Not to mention long warranties, stocked standard features including active safety tech, and competitive pricing. I hope they're successful, and sooner rather than later!

4. ahinn

ahinn New Member

Solid state batteries are also (in theory, at least) safer than liquid electrolyte battery, in that physical damage cannot cause an electrolyte leak.

Domenick likes this.
  5. Pushmi-Pullyu

Pushmi-Pullyu Well-Known Member

Hmmm, seems to me that solid state batteries are just different. They might have better energy density, and they might have worse energy density than the li-ion cells commonly used in today's EVs. Energy density depends on how the battery is constructed and what it's made of.

Benefits of solid-state batteries: No liquid electrolyte means they can be made of non-flammable materials. According to Ionic Materials, their plastic solid state battery also won't grow dendrites, which means no calendar life limit to their use. I've also seen it claimed that solid-state batteries have virtually no degradation from cycling, which would mean the batteries would last almost indefinitely. However, I don't know if that's true.

If my understanding is correct, solid-state batteries could be made using the same manufacturing techniques as electronics, which means potentially a rapid drop in prices over time. That alone would make them far better for EVs than current li-ion batteries.

At the risk of being a shill for Ionic Materials, their plastic battery looks like it has a lot of potential. They have done a demo of their prototypes for an episode of PBS's "Nova", which suggests to me that they are pretty confident of the tech. However, as with all laboratory demos, the fact that you can get it to work in the lab doesn't necessarily mean it has commercial potential. Ionic Materials hopes they can put their battery into production, but right now that's just a hope; there's no guarantee that manufacturing can be scaled up to make an affordable commercial product.

6. Jack

Jack Administrator

I feel like this is is the most enticing of possible benefits! Would be great for the used EV market.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Kumar Plocher

Kumar Plocher New Member

I wonder if solid state batteries would have solved the problem I had with my Kia (see Kia Soul thread)