Kona Electric 2022 Wireless Charger Not Charging

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by TD2021, Jul 28, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. TD2021

TD2021 New Member

I just bought the 2022 Kona Electric 2022 and the wireless charger is not charging. The orange light is not going on.

I have the Samsung Galaxy S9 Plus.

I saw another post on this forum and the person said to go into: /User Settings/Convenience/Wireless Charging...

I do not see anywhere in the car or the manual how to get to User Settings.

I have to say the Hyundai Manual is poorly written.

thor and Surlycat like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. hieronymous

hieronymous Active Member

The Kona manual is like other manuals - it has an index. Refer to "W" for "Wireless mobile phone charging system". This entry further directs you to "LCD Display Modes".

4. TD2021

TD2021 New Member

@hieronymous thank you for your reply.

Yes, I referred to the manual and the index. I read the page on "LCD Display Modes" and it was not helpful at all. It does not tell you "HOW" to turn on the Wireless Charging.

I have been in Information Technology for over 30 years and I am very technical. Never have I seen such a poorly written manual.

Kirk likes this.
  5. Anaglypta

Anaglypta Active Member

UK
    @TD2021 ,

The above sequence is correct (and works for my 2019 model car).
    A couple of things come to mind:-
    1) make sure the car is ON
    2) and that you are in PARK mode (otherwise many of the menu items dissappear, presumabley to stop you configuring stuff while driving!)

Following > User Settings > Convenience > Wireless Charging, should take you to a tick box to enable or disable the function. (It's usually enabled by default). All you need to do then is pop the phone on the pad and it should charge.

One caveat - if your phone won't charge it might be because you have an after market metalic case fitted which stops the wireless charging process.

John.

6. TD2021

TD2021 New Member

Thanks, John.

Here are the sequences I took.

1. Start car.
    2. Close all doors.
    3. Remove cover/case on Samsung Galaxy S9 Plus.
    4. Place phone on Wireless Charging pad (no orange light).

I cannot find anywhere to get into User Settings.

thor and electriceddy like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Closest Hyundai video I can find... applicable settings cluster display starts at 0:25

mho and TD2021 like this.
  9. Anaglypta

Anaglypta Active Member

UK
    And can I just add the buttons being pressed in the Vid @electriceddy posted are these (if yours are like type "B" OK is achieved by pushing in the up down arrow key button!

John.

modes.png

10. TD2021

TD2021 New Member

THANKS!

I see the LCD display, but I do not see the "cluster" icon (settings).

I watched that video yesterday.

11. hieronymous

From looking at the the graphic in post #7 above, have you found and repeatedly pressed the MODE button on the steering wheel, while watching the console display?

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. hieronymous

Correction: In post #9 above, for "console display" read "dash display"...

14. IMG_3619.jpg
    On the centre screen
    Setup > Settings > Vehicle > Convenience > Wireless Charging System > Check box

Last edited: Jul 30, 2021
  15. Well isn't that a lot better, they must have changed it. All I have is drive mode and climate (21 Kona EV Ultimate Canada). I wonder if this feature included on the 22's or if the new software "update" changes this menu on the N.A. 21's. What Nav/Media version are you running? (of course it won't be N.A.) but just curious if you still have the 3 screen home set-up.

16. IMG_3621.jpg
    Is this the information you are looking for, electriceddy? This is just straight off the phone camera so I hope you can read the numbers. If not I'll edit the image.
    The screen divides 2/3 1/3 with the smaller pane on the right.

electriceddy likes this.
  17. No reason to edit, I can read it just fine. Thanks for the photo.
    Maybe someone will tune in and report if this updated vehicle settings menu (minus the welcome mirrors of course) is included as well in the newer software in N.A. 21 models c/w version#. Hopefully that solves @TD2021 issue with a 22 model.
    I am still running the original 3 screen home set-up, unwilling to nuke that until improvements have been reported - but this would definitely qualify as one of them.;)

John Lumsden likes this.
  18. OP referring to Kona EV 2022 wireless charging stated;
    I cannot find anywhere to get into User Settings.

I suggested
    On the centre screen
    Setup > Settings > Vehicle > Convenience > Wireless Charging System > Check box

Looks like OP didn’t wait for an answer they could check. Hope they can still phone home.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

Last edited: Jul 31, 2021
    Surlycat likes this.
  19. Surlycat

Surlycat Member

Me either. From reading the manual, it seems that the digital key and wireless charging are connected, and the digital key isn’t available/set up (so says my dealer - can’t get the Bluelink set up either just yet - still working on it. These are good guys, so I’m biding my time for a bit…a couple more weeks…). As for getting to the set up, in the Convenience menu on my display, Wireless Charging isn’t even listed as an option, but I got the Limited model of the 22 Kona (which includes wireless charging). I’ll check which software model is running on my set up tomorrow and post an update.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

20. it seems that the digital key and wireless charging are connected, and the digital key isn’t available/set up...

For clarification, there is no Bluelink or OTA capability on my 2021 built Kona. It's not a feature that is offered. So maybe my route to managing wireless charging is different from what is supplied in North America. The 2018 built car manages it from the steering wheel controls as was shown in Anaglypta's post #7. Maybe time for me to butt out of this conversation and not be confusing!

21. hieronymous

Does your model also have a dash menu accessed through a Mode button on the steering wheel? Or only a console menu?

Last edited: Aug 3, 2021
  22. Only on centre screen. Less on console. And cruise control different - no res or set. Just activate on or off and use old set res to reduce or increase speed.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2021
  23. TD2021

TD2021 New Member

Thanks, John. I see the menu that you sent me, but the "Wireless Charging System" option is missing. I spoke with Hyundai and they said they have never seen this, but they said they will reach out to Hyundai.