Traded my 19 base for Rav4 Prime

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Sthomasa, Jul 28, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Sthomasa

Sthomasa Member

Sadly I traded the best car I have ever owned in for a Rav4 prime today. Not sure why I rushed but was seeing phev's disappearing. Guess if you make cars with gas and electric motors, why not just get rid of gas?
    Read Mercedes is going all electric in 2025.
    And there is a maybe on Honda doing phev in crv or ?
    I wanted an suv and looked at the id4. Nice but not ready for prine time. Lot of software glitches such as iffy scheduled charging.
    I will miss the Clarity. Loved this forun as we all tried to figure out why this amazing car worked. Someday, maybe figure out that back wheel well?
    So off the Rav4 prime forum.
    Enjoy!

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. jdonalds

jdonalds Well-Known Member

The skirt on the rear wheels is part of the aerodynamics.

ICanBreakIt and insightman like this.
  4. Mowcowbell

Mowcowbell Well-Known Member

I'm planning on going full EV. Don't want the complication of both gasoline and electric drivetrains. Got my eyes on the VW ID.4 GTX (AWD) model early next year. Some lucky person is going to get a 2018 Clarity Base in Solar Silver and in mint condition with only 11,800 miles. It probably won't sell for as much as in some parts of the country, as we have no HOV lanes or expensive gas.

5. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

I've been following InsideEVs' Ioniq 5 and EV6 sub-forums with interest. Other than Hyundai/Kia both forgetting about rear wipers, these seem to be worthy of consideration for those who want to go the crossover EV route. Of course, the VW is real, while the Koreans have yet to even reveal US prices, much less begin US deliveries.

Mowcowbell likes this.
  6. fotomoto

fotomoto Active Member

How much was the RAV4P? What trim?

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. mattheo0118

mattheo0118 Member

My cousin just bought one.

$43k +TTL (~$47.5k) for the XSE..

I jokingly called him an idiot for paying that price for a Toyota RAV4... I think it's a great car for ~35k (OTD) or less but not 47k... Just like the Clarity, it's a great car because I got it for 29k (OTD) before tax incentives. I would never pay the $38k MSRP for it.

Each to their own though. I'll never pay $40k + for a Honda or Toyota.

cyberteen and gadgetrants like this.
  9. Sthomasa

Sthomasa Member

Yes, i paid too much....msrp for xse. I have never paid retail for anything before. But 7500 tax credit, 1500 rebate, and the other benefits made it ok.
    After two years of Clarity, i still lived the car and dealer gave me 19k for it. (Paid 28k minus 9k in the credits broke me even.)
    The inventory of new 21 Clarities are gone...and the few seen are suddenly selling for msrp or more!
    After less than a day, jury out....

fotomoto likes this.
  10. mattheo0118

mattheo0118 Member

Congrats on the purchase by the way. At lease you didn't pay a market adjustment for it like some people..

Assuming you live in CA based on the $1500 comment. Are you going to apply for the CVRP rebate? I think it's exhausted but you can get on the waiting list.

11. Mowcowbell

The Korean twins have shown no interest in selling BEV's outside of the ZEV states, so I figured that wouldn't be worth pursuing. The VW ID.4 is available for sale on dealer lots in my area.

insightman likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Sthomasa

Sthomasa Member

Having focused on plugging in for a couple years, I cant imagine being at the mercy of all electric. I see the lines of Tesla owners sitting in their cars. And my Level two wiuld be worthless in a car with 70 to 80 kwh. My electric is cheap 12 to 6 am. In the afternoon, .54 a kwh. 11.00 gas equivalent?
    The id4 is attractive and free electric at Electrify America. But they seem to have a lot of buggy electronics.
    Our Clarity was nearly flawless. Wished the hondalink worked better but was maybe my cell-less area.

14. gadgetrants

gadgetrants Member

As a new (2018 Touring) owner, I've mentioned the same thing to everyone who points at the rear wheels (I must be insecure about it).

I'm also charmed to see that Honda says something similar on their 2021 FAQ page (see at the bottom, under "Features"):

https://owners.honda.com/vehicles/information/2021/Clarity Plug-In Hybrid/features/FAQs/1/faqs-faq

What I wonder: I wish I were a fly on the wall of the Clarity engineering meetings, and could look at the actual impact on fuel economy. Has anyone seen any data that might speak to the question? Is anyone willing to rip their skirts off so we can do an A/B test? o_O

OH HEY HI, I'm a new member/owner. You people are like internet celebrities to me!!!!

-Matt

15. Sthomasa

Sthomasa Member

I think you'd need two flies on the wall of the Clarity engineering meetings...actually two meetings. I have to assume there were two talented groups...one for the front of the car and one for the back.
    And the two groups did the final design then text messaged to manufacturing.
    Seriously, imho the front is beautiful, and the back retro 70s Citroën SM.

16. Sthomasa

Sthomasa Member

Look familiar?

Attached Files:

gadgetrants likes this.
  17. gadgetrants

gadgetrants Member

@Sthomasa well-said. I like to think, though, that from the inside it feels like one we'll put-together car!

The Citroën!!! Of course! You've solved the mystery of my unexplained deja-vu!

18. My homage:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. northof49ev

northof49ev Member

All the overseas info says Honda is sticking the Clarity drivetrain into the new Breeze/CRV being built in China. This is what they should have built in the first place as thats where the market is. I looked for a RAV4Prime but it seems there all headed to Quebec with its $13,000 rebate. Full pop in Alberta with mid 2022 delivery.

20. Mowcowbell

Lines of Tesla owners sitting in cars charging? Must be California. The lone supercharger station in my city of 2 million residents sits empty most of the time. Maybe owners without Level II units at home? Other than road trips, I'd never bother with DC fast charging. Just plug in at night, wake up to a fully charged EV. There is no downside.

miatadan and Silver Surfer like this.
  21. I believe that. A buddy and I just drove a U-haul truck from Michigan to Oregon. I counted 6 Tesla’s on the 2400 mile trip. One was on a trailer, being towed by a motorhome. The other 5 were all within spiting distance of a metropolitan area.

Mowcowbell likes this.
  22. West1

West1 Member

Rav Prime has some very nice specs. 0-60 in 5.7 seconds. All wheel drive. I'd like to have seen that set up in a Camary size car. Hybrid MPG, almost equal or better than the clarity, for the prime is impressive for a CUV all wheel drive.

23. Congrats on the car. The Rav4 Prime is a bright spot in Toyota's lineup and we have some Forum members that seem pretty happy with theirs.
    Hope you consider posting about your new car in our Rav4 Prime sub-forum. We could use some more owner perspective. :)

LegoZ likes this.