UPDATE* GM will replace all battery modules. 2nd 2017-2019 Chevy Bolt EV Recall!

Discussion in 'Bolt EV' started by Domenick, Jul 23, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. UPDATE*: Chevrolet has announced it will replace all battery modules in affected cars.

As Chevy Bolt EV owners know, the 2017-2019 models were recalled and given a software fix that was supposed to prevent the car's battery from burning. Unfortunately, several fires have now occurred in vehicles that were supposedly fixed.

Now, GM has identified a secondary problem and has announced a 2nd recall. This time they plan on replacing battery modules. No start date has been given as of yet. The official word from a spokesperson is: "We're working with our supplier and manufacturing teams to determine how to best expedite battery capacity for module replacement under this recall. Teams are working around the clock to find ways to increase battery availability."

We should note that the defects are only in cells made in Korea. Some owners may have a 2019 Bolt EV with a its battery cells produced in Holland, Michigan, which are unaffected by this recall.

GM is instructing owners of these affected vehicles to take the following actions:
    • Set their vehicle to the 90% state of charge limitation either using Hilltop Reserve mode (2017 and 2018 model years) or Target Charge Level mode (2019 model year).
      • If owners are unable to set their vehicles to the 90% state of charge limitation mode, or if they feel uncomfortable making the change, GM is asking owners to visit their dealer immediately to have the change made.
    • Recharge the battery on their Bolts after each use and avoid running down the battery below an estimated remaining 70-mile range where possible.

We'll try to add any new official info to this thread as it comes in. Please let us know if GM reaches out to you, or if you get some feedback from the company.

Boogaloo likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. racerx2005

racerx2005 Member

Here’s the latest from NHTSA: https://www.nhtsa.gov/press-releases/new-recall-safety-instructions-2017-19-chevrolet-bolt

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

Domenick likes this.
  4. Jim1960

Jim1960 Member

They should have replaced the battery the first time. I complained, and GM bought my 2017 back at a very fair price. Went with a 2020 Bolt (for about an extra $6K), and no problems so far. Battery can charge to high 280s on summer days.

Domenick likes this.
  5. Mia

Mia New Member

Gm bought back our 2017 bolt too. First they replaced the battery and motherboard. But was already considered a lemon. Bought a 2020 Kona ev ultimate

Domenick likes this.
  6. To remove this ad click here.

7. Carolyn O

Carolyn O New Member

I did get a reply from the Company--my GM rep is name Rachel and she texted me, word for word, last Fri, July 23, what you just put up in your post.

Domenick likes this.
  8. Great to hear they're responsive, at least. Looking forward to hearing about a concrete plan to fix things.

9. Hi folks, I am looking for some advice specific to the Canadian market as I am having issues finding any beta.
    With that 3rd recall on my 2019 Bolt, I am really unhappy with the limitations I have to put on the car, feel very unsafe for the whole building and neighbourhood I live in as everything is extremely dry those days and I wouldn't to start any structure or wild fires and I feel like the fact of not having any timeline is not acceptable.
    With all of that in mind I contacted my Chevrolet Bolt concierge # asking what my options were knowing that my Bolt is a 2019, bought new, currently has less than 40 000km on it and I still have a loan on it of 18.5k CAD. They told me that they didn't know of any MSRP Swap program in Canada but would offer me a buy back of 22k CAD. If I do that then then I can pay the loan back but out of pocket for a full price 2022 Bolt which is about 41k CAD here in Canada.
    I am having a hard time digesting this and wondering if anyone in Canada has gotten better deal and instead of being nice I should push much much harder.
    Thank you in advance for any advice you may have

10. rgmichel

rgmichel Active Member

I had a dealer tell me that he could not give me a trade in price for my 2017 Bolt EV because I would obtain a much better price through the "upcoming" buyback from GM. So, something is about to happen on buybacks, not just the individual buybacks that happen of you call GM directly yourself. I am interested in either a new Bolt EV or the EUV.
    BTW, I test drove a launch edition EUV and found it to be a great vehicle other than a slightly more heavy feel, and slightly less liveliness on the road. At the moment I feel like the Bolt EV is the better car. I feel really sad about my 2017 Bolt EV as it has been a really great car. I still love it, and it is a shame that the low probability of a fire is going to take them all off the road.

11. To remove this ad click here.

12. racerx2005

racerx2005 Member

IMG_4527.JPG
    No wonder it’s the end of the road for the Bolt EV … the endless fires and the EUV launch.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

Boogaloo likes this.
  13. DanSz

DanSz New Member

Endless fires? 14?

navguy12 likes this.
  14. rgmichel

rgmichel Active Member

Despite the paucity of fires, I am not sure dealers will even take a 2017 Bolt EV in trade for a later model. I tried my dealer and asked for a trade in price for my 2017 Bolt for the purchase of an EUV. The salesman said that GM will send out a letter soon with an offer we cannot refuse that is much better than any trade in price a dealer can give. I have not seen such a letter yet. I could not possibly comment further on this other than pure speculation and grief at the possible loss of my beautiful 2017 Bolt EV.

Boogaloo and Domenick like this.
  15. WOW
    A letter that can not be refused.
    I am very fond of my 2018 Bolt and must ask if you care to elaborate or speculate further. Your letter post seems like the biggest news yet.

16. David Mc

David Mc New Member

I suspect that we won't hear anything actionable until they send the next official notice Sept 6. They need all this time to do the math and figure out the logistics of whatever they are planning to do.

17. [QUOTE="David Mc, post: need all this time to do the math and figure out the logistics of whatever they are planning to do.[/QUOTE]
    Appreciate the kind reply.

18. rgmichel

rgmichel Active Member

I agree, we have to wait for a letter from GM to figure out what this all means. My only problem is that the 2022 Bolt EV has many of the features removed compared to my 2017 Bolt EV and put on the EUV instead. I don't want the EUV because it is not as nimble as my Bolt EV.

Domenick and Boogaloo like this.
  19. Understood, in agreement, and thank you.

20. David Mc

David Mc New Member

Yes, the Bolt is now really the LT trim. I really need GM to give me a fresh battery pack, or a check for what I paid for my used '17 Premier and I'll sit on the money until something falls into that price range. I had meant my EV to last me ten years. It's paid for and I'm now working from home so I can't rationalize putting any additional money into a different car.

21. Yes, This. as you have stated.
    Window sticker for mine was 42,000.00. Double ouch.

22. This is germane to the discussion. Find it, if you are unfamiliar and form your opinion. Tone is pretty serious to me.

Attached Files:

rgmichel likes this.