Delivered, deposit to driveway in 13 days with shudder

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by ColdCase, May 26, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. aermet

aermet New Member

Greetings, new member and first post. I just picked up an Iconic SE eBlack a few weeks ago. I ride and needed a solution to carry my bike. I spoke with a sales rep and was told that the hitch that outmotoring sells for an ice cooper S worked for the SE.

Yes, it bolts onto the stock mounts (not really, they needed a bit of grinding to enlarge the mounting holes, and two plastic brackets hanging down from another plastic bumper trim needed to be trimmed), but the 1 1/4" receiver didn't work for me, since my current hitch rack is 2".

The as-sold hitch receiver would have also protruded through the painted bumper skin rather than the black fascia. That, and the 1 1/4" receiver were both deal breakers for me.

I needed to decide whether I was going to build one from scratch or modify the one they sell. So, I bought the outmotoring hitch for the ice cooper S, a 2" steel receiver tube that was 6" long, and went over to a friend's house who's quite handy with an arc welder, to modify the hitch as purchased.

I calculated that with a 1/4in steel plate, and the 2" receiver tube welded to that and the 1 1/4" receiver, the 2" receiver would then protrude just under the lip in the lower fascia. We cut out a 1/4" inch steel plate about the length of the 1 1/4" receiver, but a bit narrower and welded it to the bottom of the 1 1/4 receiver to space it downwards. We then tacked the 2" receiver on for a trial fit, and reinstalled the bumper skin loosely. The receiver didn't stick out far enough so we moved it out another 3/4" in. Btw, we drilled the hold for the bike rack security pin prior to welding onto the purchased hitch.

Another quick trial fit, some primer and gloss black paint, some trimming with a small cutting wheel on the lower fascia, and here it is. My bike rack has a wedge on the mounting surface to reduce wobbling of the rack while driving. With that properly secured, the rack is super solid going down the road with my bike on it, and I don't really notice that my bike is hanging off the back.

If you know what you're doing, the tail lights and rear bumper can be off the car inside of 15 mins, it was simple once you figure out that you have to reach inside the rear opening in the tail light cavity and release some tabs. Takes a bit of careful pulling on the rear quarter moldings, but other than that, very straight fwd removal of bumper skin.

I don't have a outside media host, and I don't see where I can post pics. I posted photos at a facebook Mini SE group, here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/463488294398832

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

I'm not willing to join Facebook, so I can't see your photos. What I do is copy photos in Photoshop and paste them into the reply window. I don't know what other programs can fill the clipboard properly to do that, however. I believe the only disadvantage of doing this is that only forum members can see the photos posted this way.

4. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

There are two ways I post photos, either use "upload a file" option right next to the "post reply" button, or occasionally paste from my clipboard. On the Mac copy and paste work normally from anywhere. I prefer to use the upload file option, but it then requires adding the uploaded file to your comment.

Sadly, relying on Facebook groups tends to close them off to those without Facebook accounts.

insightman likes this.
  5. aermet

aermet New Member

Here are some photos.
    The purchased hitch is listed with a tongue weight of 200lbs. The stacked tubes are not optimal from an engineering standpoint as the 2" tube is a lever, albeit a very short one. I'll never tow with the SE, nor exceed half the original recommended tongue weight of the original hitch. My rack weighs only 32 lbs, and the road bike, well, it's an overpriced carbon feather with wheels. I have mounted the rack with a bike, and then pushed on the rack farthest from the receiver, with virtually no visible flex. Staring back at my road bike while driving down the road looks quite solid as well.

Attached Files:

6. Carsten Haase

Carsten Haase Well-Known Member

Did you happen to get any pictures with the bumper off? Im going to do the same thing as soon as I have time, but probably start from scratch.

I was planning on putting the receiver an inch or so lower so I only had to cut into the lower part of the trim piece but also need a wider hole because I do plan on towing a small trailer (so I'd need a spot for chains + electrical plug)

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. ColdCase

ColdCase Active Member

So basically you welded a ¼ spacer and 2 inch receiver tube to the bottom of the aftermarket hitch's 1 ¼ receiver? Didn't have to trim anything except the bits to mount the hitch? The 1 ¼ receiver didn't need trimmed because it fit behind the facia? Nice.

9. atlsk8r

atlsk8r Member

Do you think the steering wheel shudder could be the lane departure warning?

I was wondering about my shudder until I finally figured it out. Ran some controlled tests on the highway to confirm. I think there are rules as to when it kicks in and it’s pretty subtle, so can be confusing when you first experience it.

10. aermet

aermet New Member

I'd say with a high degree of certainty that it's the lane departure warning.

11. aermet

aermet New Member

I thought it might be a good idea to start a new thread for hitches, where you'll see my detailed reply.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. aermet

aermet New Member

Carsten, I started a new thread for hitches, where you'll see my reply to you.

Carsten Haase likes this.