I was told today because of recall 200, Hyundai wants buy back our cars

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Mattsburgh, May 11, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

Tags:
  1. FloridaSun

FloridaSun Well-Known Member

Sent back the notarized agreement 6/23.. so 2 weeks and 1 day until they called to schedule handover..

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. ehatch

ehatch Active Member

Agree with most you're saying.Just getting a buy back,or replacement should be two of the three options from Korea for impacted Kona electric owners,globally to make this situation as painless as possible. One of our members had their Kona eletric rejected by Tesla for a trade.This battery issue started a year ago with the campaigns,until NHTSA ,and Canada's Transport Canada forced a recall.

DelRider and MarshaH like this.
  4. TheLight75

TheLight75 Active Member

You didn’t happen to buy your Kona from Vroom in April or May, did you? Mine had a worn out Resume switch when I sold it to them.

5. Got our first official communication from Hyundai Canada in a while in the form of an email update to the Recall 183.

It is also on the website:
    https://www.r0183info.ca

Now saying battery will be replaced — if necessary.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using Inside EVs

6. To remove this ad click here.

7. Yes, I got the same email. I mentioned this on another thread and popped over to my dealer. They said they don't have the "remedy" software in hand yet, but to check back next week for an appointment. I don't like the "IF" part of the statement. I want a new battery. In any case, I will be happy to get back to 100% charging for trips.

8. Thanks for sharing this. There is literally nothing new here. The website link has had that same information for months and the letter merely restates it. It makes me wonder why they'd even bother sending it. And why only send it to some not all customers.

* And please note that the $250 is still promising a 20 day turnaround rather than 30-60-90-Forever

Last edited: Jul 10, 2021
    ehatch and Chris Alemany like this.
  9. I thought I had seen the same info on the website. Thank you for that confirmation. Odd that they would send a letter.. but I guess they figure they had better communicate in some fashion to all.

Sent from my iPad using Inside EVs

10. ehatch

ehatch Active Member

@Chris Alemany thanks for sharing your Hyundai letter, the fellow Kona Electric owner who told me they received a notification to have their Li-ion replacement some point this month.They didn't get an email,or letter from Hyundai Canada,just the dealer who couldn't provide a date.

Leads Canada back to is it yet another software update,or Li-ion replacement. This is no way to handle a safety issue that can ignite a customer.

Also find it interesting customer service has no idea about the gift card when their website is clear:
    "We strongly recommend you also visit your dealership to either verify or adjust the “Max. % charge” level to ensure it has been adjusted to 80%. Please contact the dealership to request service under Service Campaign 01D059 (C0415). This service will be provided to you AT NO CHARGE. Once Hyundai verifies your visit to the dealership, you will be entitled to a $250 gift card for your attention to this matter. You will need to provide the dealer with a valid email address and allow 20 business days for processing."

11. To remove this ad click here.

12. Matt D

Matt D New Member

I have been told that my offer has been calculated by Sedgwick and has been sent to Hyundai for approval and that I should have my repurchase offer with amount later this week. Fingers crossed.

For reference, I am in NJ and have a 2019 Kona EV. Also, has anyone in NJ who did the buy back had to pay back the 5k rebate from the Charge Up NJ plan?

13. Dalicea

Dalicea New Member

I have two quick questions for those who completed the buyback process.

What was the handover like? Did the nitpick anything about the car? I have some things that are probably above normal wear and tear but not bad either.

Also, how does the vehicle registration get handled. When you trade-in you normally get refunded a pro-rated amount, does that happen with the buyback?

14. My offer includes a refund of all the registration fees even though the car is 21 months old (2019). I haven't accepted the offer yet since the cars I want to buy are not yet available.

15. ElectricArt

ElectricArt New Member

I have not found anything that says it has to be paid back.
    We were approved.
    Received the rebate.
    Done as far as I am concerned.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

16. Matt D

Matt D New Member

This is the language of the full terms and conditions. I am just curious if they have been enforcing it.

Failure to Adhere to the Program Requirements If a vehicle for which an incentive payment was issued is sold, returned, or traded in, or if a lease is transferred or assumed by another party prior to expiration of the minimum ownership period or lease agreement or the applicant moves out of state, the purchaser or lessee may be required to reimburse the Program. Exemption from the 36-month period set forth in Section IV above may be allowed if necessitated by unforeseen or unavoidable circumstances, such as military relocation outside the State of New Jersey, death of an applicant, or determination by the Program Administrator that the vehicle has been totaled. To qualify for an exemption, applicants will be required to submit a written request to the CSE and include official documentation demonstrating proof of one of the above noted circumstances. The CSE will review all submitted exemption requests and respond back with either an approval, denial, or request for additional documentation within 14 days of submission. All exemption requests will be stored with the original application in the incentive processing platform. To request an exemption for a special circumstance other than those listed above, an applicant can submit a written request explaining the circumstances along with any official corresponding documentation. The CSE will review the exemption request with the BPU to determine if the requirements for an exemption have been met.

17. FloridaSun

Surrendered the Kona today. Met with the Sedgwick representative at my local Hyundai dealer.. Sad to see it go..
    20210713_112606.jpg 20210713_112623.jpg 20210713_113302.jpg

18. sold at auction. Maybe you can buy it back for a few hundred dollars and then have them replace the battery under recall?

Mattsburgh and ElectricArt like this.
  19. FloridaSun

I have my replacement already, so I'm moving on.. Loved the car.. No issue with Hyundai.. May get a Hyundai again, maybe when the CCS Network has less holes and when they have a larger SUV as EV.. So far, I'm very happy with the Model Y.. Drove it 5000 miles already..

20. ehatch

ehatch Active Member

That rebate appears to be for the consumer: "point-of-sale” rebate applied during the purchase or leasing process at dealerships and requires a valid New Jersey driver’s license to get started. Only EVs registered and purchased in New Jersey are eligible."
    via @Matt D "prior to expiration of the minimum ownership period or lease agreement.Exemption from the 36-month period set forth in Section IV above may be allowed if necessitated by unforeseen or unavoidable circumstances,"

It looks like there's a 36 month requirement,but I think a Li-ion fire recall would fall under unavoidable circumstances to allow you to keep the rebate.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2021
    ElectricArt likes this.
  21. ehatch

ehatch Active Member

Post a pic. of the Y. I think you'll like the Tesla,road trips are simple.Unless you go off the supercharger grid:rolleyes: Ranger visits at home for many repairs, tweaks. Guess you'll become scarce on this site. Thanks for sharing your journey/.This is sad Hyundai Motor Company made such a fiasco of how they were going to handle the battery fire in each country.

MarshaH likes this.
  22. ehatch

ehatch Active Member

Same boat I imagine for many owners which is why a replacement from Hyundai Motor Company should be an option.The kona electric has depreciated so much with the Li-ion fire issue I think a trade after the Li-ion gets replaced could still be an issue.

BC-Doc and Ronny like this.