Sooo, considering all the major issues going on with the Kona

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by ForceEdge, Jul 1, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Karl C.

Karl C. New Member

Ill post my experience after the new battery is installed.

Wildeyed likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. ForceEdge

ForceEdge Member

Thanks for all the replies and insight everyone. I’m just concerned because of what happened with the 2019 models..I know its not a huge amount of cars effected but seeing the fires, and how hyundai was hush hush on the issues concerns me. The 2021-2022 models have only been out for a bit so if there’s issues we might just not have seen them yet..that’s what worries me. This is my first all electric. My wife has the Rav 4 prime and I love driving it in EV mode and that’s what’s pushing me for an EV. Plus the incentives are great in NEW YORK.

The deals on the 2021 Kona are great right now, but the 2022 face life I like a lot.

did hyundai say they fixed all the issues in the 2021-2022 models?

4. "The second step of this recall will be to replace the high-voltage battery (BSA). Hyundai will notify you when a replacement battery is available for your vehicle."

Quoted from the Government of Canada Transport Canada recall website. I'm getting increasingly uneasy about Hyundai trying to back away from their promise to replace.
    *Edit
    "The second step of this recall will be to replace the high-voltage battery. Hyundai will notify you when a replacement battery is available for your vehicle."

Taken from Hyundai's own recall look-up website...today.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2021
  5. What would be very useful and informative would be if you are able to determine why/how your car was selected as needing a new battery. It's bad enough that Hyundai seems to be reneging on replacing all/most batteries, but it is very frustrating not to know what criteria they are using to make those decisions. You say you have a good dealer so maybe you can shake some truth out of the bushes? My dealer mostly shrugs and sighs like a French waiter so I know I'm never going to find out from them!

6. Maybe with this 2nd recall inspection they put it through some kind of stress test. If your car doesn't flame up, you are good to go...

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. I feel like if they are going to cause upset and huge depreciation for owners in announcing a massive worldwide recall then they should be able to tell owners and demonstrate to owners, the nature of their "tests" and why their "resolution" is satisfactory.

electriceddy likes this.
  9. Well, I hope they do, but I am not expecting that. And this is not unique to Hyundai. I know other manufacturers that have had severe defects with new models, and when eventually fixed they never really explained the remedy. Not sure if it is a liability issue or maybe involves proprietary info, or what. But they all seem pretty mum about their issues.

10. The information on the 3 coded sections of the battery label is probably what is being observed to provide an answer to the actual production location and facility as well as more details such as what shift assembled and which coded stock cells with their corresponding UPC labels were installed.
    [​IMG]
    This would of course only be a real "replacement remedy" if the exact known time of production fault occurred which in detail has not been shared to owners.
    Foreseeable depreciation is probably the main reason for my trading in my 2019 at the time I did, and I do feel sorry for other owners that have been put through this feeling of insecurity set of circumstances that has evolved.
    I agree Hyundai should come out clear and define to owners the truth, while communicating why of some replacements are taking priority over others (on a global scale);)
    This article with the same concerns as Bolt seems to be making a competitive run on the burn list, (now 10)
    Excerpt of article:
    "It’s time for GM to be open and transparent about the problem. It’s time for them to pressure LG and make a deal. Commit 3% of their annual profit to replace all at-risk batteries. Give any owner who wants a buy-back or MSRP swap the option to do that. Replace the vehicles that caught fire free of charge. That would be the right thing to do. And why not take action before they get sued for inaction?"

https://electrek.co/2021/07/08/chevy-bolt-ev-catches-on-fire-after-receiving-both-of-gm-software-fixes/

Last edited: Jul 8, 2021
    mho and KiwiME like this.
  11. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Well-Known Member

This is absolutely true. Hyundai created needless confusion and frustration by failing to proactively let owners know what was happening and do so in a way that was clear and truthful. This is Crisis Communications 101 -- and I do think having your cars catch fire counts as a crisis, even if it's infrequent -- and it still amazes me how many companies f*** it up.

ericy likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. ForceEdge

ForceEdge Member

doesn’t the Niro have similar parts? So wouldn’t it be susceptible to the same issues? Or am I wrong here?

because the niro is also in consideration with me. Is that having a refresh in 2022 like the Kona?

14. KonaTom

KonaTom Well-Known Member

same drive train and battery, but different sheet metal. Believe they use different battery manu. as well. I think they are refreshing for 2022 too, but down the road a bit.

15. Niro does not use LG Energy System cells, so no issues.

16. Isn't it LG Chem?

17. Essentially, but news from Sept 2020 ...
    upload_2021-7-10_12-28-23.png

R P likes this.
  18. So anyone taken the buyback and bought an ID.4 instead? We're in the buyback but just found out our offer will be delayed due to a screw up of VIN number on our car. Somehow when our lease was first written someone at the dealer put in the wrong VIN. This surfaced on a couple of recall issues, but now is a problem as Sedgwick and Hyundai have to first correct the VIN and make sure they are evaluating the correct car.

Anyway, while we are waiting for this to be resolved (our Kona is bricked and been at dealer since early May) I went and tested an ID.4. Kind of liked a number of features on it, including thought seats were more comfortable and feels roomier (more storage in back). I'd say only thing didn't like was the way they deal with regen (definitely got used to the paddle allowing me to stop). Also a little nervous about the range of the ID.4. We most always got more than the 258 miles with our Kona. So curious if anyone made the switch and if so what do you think?

19. mmalc Crawford

mmalc Crawford New Member

I "switched".

For two reasons:
    (a) The Kona became physically uncomfortable for me to drive (back problem)
    (b) Uncertainty about the vehicle.

I didn't have a buyback, but just became sufficiently disconcerted by Hyundai's lack of clear communication etc. that I wanted to walk away.

Having previously had a Bolt, I tried out the Mach-E and Bolt EUV as serious replacement contenders, and the ID.4 as "I might as well". And in particular because of comfort ended up going emphatically for the ID.4.

It is as you say much roomier — a lot more space both in the "cockpit" and the back seats (a friend remarked that the back seats have more room than their similarly-sized vehicle's front seats). There's more space in the back too, and with for me at least better access.

I do still find myself reaching for the regen paddle, but I'm getting used to not having it (I would prefer no-creep as well, but I always had to remember to reengage that in the Kona). As am I also (as I described in a different thread) getting used to and indeed enjoying having fewer distractions. Some of the interface does come across as a little gimmicky (I expressed it in the other thread as being suggestive of VW having called Citroën's design team from the 80's out of retirement), but mostly it's intended to get out of your way to allow you to focus on the most important things: Speed and directions. And of course remaining range.

Thus far (a couple of thousand miles) it seems to be living up to promise. Perhaps ironically in context I generally follow VW's guidelines of only charging 80%, but multiplying up I generally get the equivalent of over 280 miles for full range.

Nothing of course can replace your own personal experience, but I've been extremely happy with mine and would encourage you to continue your evaluation.

20. miatadan

miatadan Active Member Subscriber

I will not be able to see or order ID4 locally until December as only select dealer’s in Ontario can sell them right now and of course that does not include Sudbury.

Canadian version has heated windshield and heat pump as standard equipment which should be helpful in winter months.

Dan

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

21. EnerG

EnerG Active Member

I think the biggest flaw of the Kona has been overlooked. Huyndai is the problem. They have been dragging their feet on the battery issue and have promised things that have never appeared such as the $250 gift card, and have not been forward with their communications. I envy the US owners who were offered the buyouts as that seems reasonable but here in Canada we are stuck in limbo at 80% charging on a summer that is begging for road trips. I don't think this is proper behavior for a respectable corporate citizen.

22. I have found Hyundai and its dealer here extremely supportive in fixing any issues from a minor trim attachment to replacing the battery and providing a replacement vehicle (an ICE but it was good wheels). Along the way I was told what the situation was about the battery needing to be replaced, and what the likely timing would be. In the end I got the car back earlier than I thought. So maybe it depends who your dealer is, or even which country you are in, but in my experience I totally and strongly disagree that Hyundai is the problem. From where I live I just don’t have the observations or experience to make such a statement.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2021
  23. I feel your frustration, but I probably don't rate it as bad as you in terms of how I feel about my car or Hyundai. Esp when I see what GM is doing with their Bolt owners, or Tesla with their Model S owners. At least Hyundai decided to replace the defective batteries once they understood the problem. And I am doing just fine right now with the 80% charge limit. Meanwhile the car is driving great, and I like it even more now than when I first bought it. Also, very happy with my dealer who took care of my recalls/fixes properly (loaner car when needed), and takes the time to talk to me about what he knows re the battery issue.

Maybe I am just more tolerant and patient than most people. Although, that was tested at Canadian Tire yesterday when I had to return an item, and watched a clerk (only 1 working there) deal with a customer ahead of me forever. Meanwhile, 3 other clerks were standing around yakking behind there. Finally one came over to help, which could have happened 10 min earlier. That type of thing frustrates me a lot more...

DaveO and Esprit1st like this.