Unreliable charging Niro 2019

Discussion in 'Kia Niro' started by dahlb, Feb 22, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. dahlb

dahlb New Member

I have a Niro 2019 EV and have been finding sometimes when I connect the charge point cable the car doesn't charge and sometimes it does. Below are the error messages I've gotten, I brought it into the dealership but as it wasn't consistent they just said the classic, well we couldn't reproduce the error. I don't think it is the charge point side as the app accurately tracks when and for how long it is plugged in, also the trick charger that came with the car has the same problem when it is being a problem. I have read about a charging release cable on Niro PHEV but I haven't been able to find the same on the Niro EV. Any ideas? Anybody else having the same problem?

PXL_20210221_151444965.jpg
    PXL_20210221_151829799.jpg

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. mike bazinet

mike bazinet New Member

happened to me but stopped the next day. i plugged in and my chargepoint said it was charging for 9 hours but o kw and the three lights flashing on the car as error messsage. problem stopped the next day and hasnt happened since !

4. Dominica81

Dominica81 Member

I literally just posted about this. Not a home charger though, referring to DC ChargePoint chargers. Either having trouble connecting or charging stops right after starting. Very frustrating as we are on a road trip and sometimes desperate for a charge. Also a 2019 Niro. Haven’t called Kia to inquire.

5. daveinca

daveinca New Member

just got back from a road trip and had the same issue. Went to 2 straight ChargePoint chargers and neither would initiate, even with help from customer service. Went to an EA charger and no issues.

6. rampart51

rampart51 New Member

Odd....I use the Chargepoint Fast DC chargers at least once a week and never have had this issue. 2020 Kia Niro EV EX

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. dahlb

dahlb New Member

I haven't had the problem in a while, I was having the problem when I only changed on the weekends. I've started plugging in most days and now it works just about every time. I think the Niro 2019 charging lock gets stuck it not used regularly.