Royal Bank Canada/Petro Canada - free charging for 1 year Canada

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by electriceddy, May 2, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. XtsKonaTrooper

XtsKonaTrooper Well-Known Member

Hit the petrocan charger today, but 3 times it stopped charging, once at 51, then 66 and 76%. I gave up reseating it then as I was only trying to get to 80%. It was 23c outside and charger was peaking at 73 kw, so imo, it was getting hot because the stn said the car was basically shutting it down. That's the first I've had that happen at this petrocan location.
    I did talk to a Porsche guy, he was charging at 130kw. But $160,00 is a little too rich for me lol.

BC-Doc likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. E-Shark

E-Shark Active Member

Thanks for the info :)

4. Maybe it was the after lunch beer, but I am confused. Why would anyone driving an EV worry about gas prices?

5. I was responding to Recoil45, who didn't think gas prices made this free EV charging offer from RBC/Petro Canada very significant. Having said that, I do have other ICE vehicles (EV can't be used for all my driving), so high gas prices still impact me. But I drive the EV as much as possible, and all my charging has been free so far. So this deal will help with that as well.

6. Get your point.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Recoil45

Recoil45 Active Member

It's also relative. I drive the least fuel efficient cars/trucks/boats made and rarely spend more than 3-4k a year on fuel. If that cost went to zero my life would not change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Maybe not your life, but I'm sure you could make other good use of that 3-4K a year extra bucks. That's the way I look at it.

electriceddy and XtsKonaTrooper like this.
  10. I charged at Petro Canada today just to try it out. One station wouldn't read my card, but the other did. But it only charged at 42kW!!?? I was at 60%, so maybe faster at lower SOC. Only charged $3.03. Now will have to see how fast they credit back that amount on my RBC card.

XtsKonaTrooper likes this.
  11. XtsKonaTrooper

Hey RP, did you get your credit back?

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Not yet. I still haven't got to my first statement date. I understand it shows up as a refund then?

14. XtsKonaTrooper

^^^^^
    Odd...for me, they have all shown up within several days online, however, I do all my banking with rbc, so maybe that's why.

15. My refund finally showed up today. Looks like it was done manually though, as it came in two transaction, looks like the first one was a mistake, with the final one correct.

This came after almost 2 hours of the most frustrating call centre discussions I have ever had with any institution. I just can't believe the incompetence of these people. I ended up talking to 3 different people at RBC, after long waits each time, as each person either did not know anything about this promotion and how it works, or couldn't help me. The final one was to Petro Canada, which also couldn't help me or explain how the promotion works. Today I am supposed to get a call from their "level 3" support person who is supposed to help me. Still haven't heard from them. But yes, magically, my refund came through today.

It doesn't give me any confidence, though, that this process works automatically. I guess I will have to try it again, but dread having to go through this call centre fiasco again, just to get the refund.

Honestly, these people are the most incompetent bunch I have ever encountered, all of them. And I am normally a very patient person...

16. XtsKonaTrooper

Well that sux it's not automatically done for ya. I have had 3 different sessions now and usually credited back within 2-3 business days. I do all my banking with rbc so maybe that has a bearing on it.

17. Yeah, I don't do any banking with RBC, except now with this credit card. I do all my banking/brokerage with TD, and have to say they are much better with their call centres, if you have a problem.

I don't want to sound prejudiced, but was also frustrated with the people not being able speak English well, and had a hard time understanding them. A couple of them had East Indian accents, and one was French (also very poor English). I assume these call centres were in Quebec, although maybe Toronto. They cited Eastern times to me, so certainly not local here.

18. Just checked Plugshare and from the comments there, both the Langley Petro-Canada and the Abby one (the two closest locations to me) are having the same problems with intermittent stops and low kW charging. Sure wouldn't want to have to pay for that...

19. So I can avoid RBC and all I need to do is pay for my charing? Sounds like a good deal to me. I gave up on RBC years ago beause of experiences like this.

20. I think my RBC card and Petro-Canada free EV charging is finally working. After hours on the phone (mostly wait time while I was getting passed on to different people), I finally was given an email contact where I could explain my issues of the refunds not working. At first, all I got was an explanation of how the offer worked. But when I said wasn't getting refunded (even though I opted in for the offer), I suddenly noticed the charging refund happen (about 2 weeks later). BUT there was still an outstanding $25 per-authorization charge sitting there. I asked what that was for, and was told that it should also be refunded. And magically after that email, I see that refund come through as well, more than two weeks late.

Today, I decided to give it another try. After my charge when I got home, I checked my RBC account, and see the $25 per-authorization charge again, but it was also immediately refunded. So that was promising. The EV charge amount is there, of course. Now will wait and see how long it takes this time for that refund to go through. Supposed to only be a few days, not 2 weeks like last time. I think the system just wasn't working, and when I finally got the refund (from the first charge), I think it was done manually after my call. So hopefully this one will work automatically.

The free charging is a good deal, but they sure need to fix some things as I should not have had to go through this rigmarole.

The only other complaint I have is that the max charge is only 42 kW, even though they are 350 kW chargers. I see others on plugshare also complaining about that. They were having electrical issues last time I was there, with it shutting down prematurely. But when it is free, I guess beggars can't be choosers either...

21. ehatch

ehatch Active Member

I would prefer Hyundai use their Bluelink app. for owners to activate partner chargers:petro Canada, EC, Ivy, Chargepoint, Flo,EVGO,Blink.... to offer a discounted kWh charging rate ,similar to Tesla supercharger costs. Many of the charging networks have been subsidized, including Tesla. Thankfully more charging networks are partnering so you don't need to use 6 accounts to charge.

Hoping President Biden gets his infrastructure installed after his own 2019 charging experience.

@rp the one year free charging isn't bad if one goes on long road trips.Consumer ICE gets $0.03/L ongoing,plus "Each time you use your Linked RBC Card to pay for qualifying purchases at a Petro-Canada Location, you will earn a bonus of twenty percent (20%)." When I had an ICE,I rarely set foot into a gas station to benefit from the latter.

22. ehatch

ehatch Active Member

Two years later, Petro Canada shouldn't be still having kW issues for the fee being charged,or billing with a RBC program they co-created . Anyone know if Kona can do 70kW with EA ,tier issue resolved.

23. Out for a Sunday drive, on Monday :) . Decided to give Petro-Can in Hope a try, in part as a test for RBC freebie. 51% to 80%. 26 Minutes, 22.3 kWh. $7.10. At the 5 minute mark it was giving 74 kW.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2021
    ehatch likes this.