Tires (Summer/Winter/All-Season)

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by Puppethead, Sep 7, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

On my ICE MINI Clubman I run "all-seasons" during summer months, and snow tires in the winter. My feeling with the all-seasons is they are more flexible so if I were to drive through mountains or experience some sort of unusual out-of-season winter conditions or something I don't have to worry. But nothing beats winter tires for handling in snow.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Newkirk

Newkirk Active Member

I didn't know that, thanks! It does get below 40ºF here some mornings during the winter, but it's not frequent. But now that I know that, I'll just have to be a bit more careful when it gets that cold, especially if it rains. Or take our ICE car, which has all-seasons.

4. Lainey

Lainey Well-Known Member

I will say if the pavement is dry my summer tires did fine. Only when wet and colder did I have issues.

5. Newkirk

Newkirk Active Member

Good to know. Thanks!

Lainey likes this.
  6. Jim In Tucson

Jim In Tucson Well-Known Member

Against the advice of this thread, I “upgraded” my SE to Pirelli P1 run flat tires yesterday. The ride is definitely a bit firmer, as the run flats would have to be a stiffer sidewall. Traction is also better both on the dry and the wet. Time will tell what the impact will be on range. More to follow…

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

GvilleGuy likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. GvilleGuy

GvilleGuy Well-Known Member

Did you notice a difference in noise level?

9. Puppethead

I'm very keen to hear how they work out. Because of the miles I drive I prefer run flats, and have had them on my other MINIs. When my summer tires wear out I'll certainly consider where the state of run flat technology is as an option. And speaking of Pirelli, they've announced a new EV-specific tire.

10. Jim In Tucson

That’s rich. A new “high load” tire. Like it’s something really new. As I recall, we have always had those. We call them truck tires. And now that a BEV weighs as much as a truck they apparently need truck tires.

11. Jim In Tucson

Noise is actually less. I think the stiffer tire flexes less, so less road noise.

GvilleGuy likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Puppethead

Very true, which is why the tires for the SE are XL load-rated and many SUVs also need such tires. Although the SE is only 300 pounds or so heavier than an ICE Hardtop, so unlike most EVs does the SE really need the heavier load rating?

14. I have been curious about the XL load-rated tires for the SE. I would think that the lower center of gravity would negate the need for tires to accommodate the modest weight "gain." I've had little experience with vehicles that require XL tires. My largest car has been a tenth generation Civic.

I am very near ordering an SE. Since I live in a New England state, I need to establish a plan to secure all-season tires soon after anticipated delivery. Evening and - especially - early morning temperatures will certainly make the standard equipment summer tires pretty scary on most local roads. I believe that the weight of the car (and low center of gravity) will assist during snow events but the summer rubber won't cut it. I have a NB Miata (2300 lbs.) on which I run all season tires during spring and fall, reserving the summer tires on separate wheels for June, July, August and September. (It generally rests October through March.)

I am curious how many owners in cold weather states have committed to two sets of wheels and tires. Based on comments here and my own research, it seems that there are fewer choices for good performance all season tires for the 16-inch wheels. I suppose that I could drive all seasons all year but the SE on summer tires - during the summer - is very appealing. What are recent all season choices by SE owners?

15. Lainey

Lainey Well-Known Member

My previous Mini came with all weather and I stuck with them. Swapping them out for all weather when I ditched the awful runflats. Summer definitely does not cut it on these roads. Though when dry totally fine. I am going to have to buy new tires for fall. So far I am leaning towards summer and winter tires.

The model I had on my previous Mini seems to not be around. I'd have to look to see what I had before.

I do plan to move from 17 to 16 in the winter for potholes and such too. So I plan for 2 sets.

16. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

No all-season tires for me. I love the summer tires when the snow is gone, but when there's a chance of snow, I want winter tires. I pass by a 3-foot high rock when entering our local mall. Many winters ago, the slush was very slippery and my car started sliding straight for that rock when I tried to turn into the entrance. I came to a stop just inches from the rock. Even in the summer, when passing by that rock, I remember that close call and thank my winter tires, assuming all-season tires would have resulted in front-end bodywork.

17. Jim In Tucson

Been a week since the run flats went on my SE. so far no noticeable difference in range. By range I’m referring to the GOM. The first two weeks of ownership I dove in green mode planning to hit that magic 114. Highest I ever saw was 112. Moving on…

Now I simply drive in mid mode. Usually seeing around 106 on the GOM, still getting the same 106 with the run flats.

On the my My Mini screen seeing 4 miles/kWh. But, this never changes. Does anyone see 4.1 or 3.9, or anything other than 4?

GvilleGuy likes this.
  18. insightman

I just fired up my trusty OG MINI Connected app and it tells me 5.4 mi/kWh. The previous check showed 5.0 mi/kWh, so yesterday's journey through a long construction zone provided the efficiency benefits of controlling my penchant for acceleration and the reduction in wind resistance resulting from a long line of cars driving at 45 mph in a single lane. I always drive in Mid Mode (unless I want to get a grin from the Minimalism Analyser fish in Green/Green+ Modes).

19. Jim In Tucson

Does this screen on the dash also give the same 5.4 miles/kWh?

[​IMG]

20. Newkirk

Newkirk Active Member

I have mine to reset for every trip (it's supposed to reset after 4 hours). Maybe yours doesn't change because it's cumulative, so anything close to 4.0 wouldn't move it much. If you had quite a few trips in the high 4s, then you might see it change after a while.
    IMG_2255.jpg

21. insightman

After I posted my 5.4 miles/kWh I took a short, exuberant trip. When I returned home and read your question I checked the car's screen and it read a shameful (smile) 3.5 miles/kWh. However, the app still said 5.4 miles/kWh, so I waited a few hours. It still says 5.4 miles/kWh. I don't know how often MINI's servers update that data. I tried using the app to lock the doors, hoping that would update the eDrive data, but it remained the same after confirming the doors were locked.

22. Puppethead

The old app may not be reliably updating from the car anymore, depending on what MINI did with the backend.

23. insightman

Well, if it never updates again, I'm glad it's stuck on 5.4 mi/kWh instead of 3.5! It did update from 5.0 to 5.4 between Thursday and Friday.