Deal/Good price for Extended Warranty for Clarity now that it is Discontinued

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by MeSandy, Jun 18, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. MeSandy

MeSandy Member

https://www.autoweek.com/news/green-cars/a36751587/honda-clarity-fuel-cell-vehicle-discontinued/

“Consistent with this strategy, Honda will conclude production of the Clarity Plug-in Hybrid and Clarity Fuel Cell in August 2021. This will ensure we have the Clarity Fuel Cell available for lease through 2022, and Honda will continue to support our Clarity customers in the marketplace."

So now that Clarity is being discontinued, It might be a good idea to buy Extended Warranty. Please suggest good deals/pricing if you come across or bought in the past?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Annwn

Annwn Member

The consensus on forums has typically been that the best extended warranty pricing involves checking the following dealers -
    Saccucci Honda
    Hyannis Honda
    Curry Honda
    College Hills Honda

I believe at least three of those have online quote calculators - all four should be priced fairly similar to each other though.

megreyhair, insightman and ClarityDoc like this.
  4. petteyg359

petteyg359 Well-Known Member

The discontinuance has no bearing whatsoever on the value of an extended warranty.

5. Might make aftermarket parts less likely, increasing the value of the warranty

6. MrFixit

MrFixit Well-Known Member

What happens with an extended warranty when a replacement part is just not available?
    They are certainly not going to restart a line in order to produce a replacement part. Is there a clause in these extended warranty contracts that addresses this scenario? Can they elect to pay you the fair market value of the vehicle if the repair cost exceeds the value of the vehicle (like totaling a car in an accident)?

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Tom H

Tom H New Member

I recommend Hyannis Honda. Price seemed very good. Easy to do online. Be aware that several items are covered by extended warrantees like the AC condenser and the battery.

9. turtleturtle

turtleturtle Active Member

This is a good question. I can imagine it says there’s no coverage if nobody can find parts.

10. Tom H

Tom H New Member

There are laws that require auto manufacturers to have spare parts to cover warrantees. You can Google it and get various answers as to how long and it may depend on your state's laws.

There is a federal law:

"The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, which went into effect in 1975, requires manufacturers to maintain parts for the term of the manufacturer’s warranty. The clock starts ticking when the last of a particular model leaves the assembly line."

I also found:
    "Honda supports their vehicles for 15 years after they stop production. They have this as policy."

Of course you can always believe the internet.

11. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

In 2019, 13 years after I purchased my 2006 Insight, Honda couldn't supply a new set of shift-linkage cables (or a larger assembly that included these cables). My cables were so corroded by Michigan's winter road salt that it took all my might to operate the gearshift. Fortunately, I found a larger assembly with working cables from an auto recycler on ebay.

12. To remove this ad click here.