Canadian pre-orders now available

Discussion in 'Hyundai Ioniq 5' started by electriceddy, Jun 1, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. E-Shark

E-Shark Active Member

lol they got you again!! What happened to not getting the first gen again??!!

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. E-Shark

E-Shark Active Member

I think no heat pumps in the US again either.

4. It's the thrill of the chase!
    Actually I almost certainly won't be pulling the trigger. The car's got some niggling issues for me. I don't want AWD and if I want the Ultimate I have to take it. I also get stuck with pointless 20" wheels and the commensurate loss of range. Speaking of which it appears the range isn't very good. Add in the dodgy wiperless rear window as the cherry on top and it feels like a lot of minuses. The only pluses are that it's new and shiny. Unless the price is shockingly low I will almost certainly cancel and continue to enjoy the (dear God, soon please) new battery in my Kona.

Domenick likes this.
  5. E-Shark

E-Shark Active Member

The chase is fun, lol. At least they brought the pre-order price down to $500. Not sure why it isn't closer to the $100USD the US has! Keep your order in as long as you can, you can be our eyes and ears! Looking forward to your updates, or lack there of lol.

6. Northern Bernie

Northern Bernie New Member

C'mon guys, I just saw it again and I want it. You want it too. It looks so spacious and massive inside. I always said I'd never buy a car in its first year of production but hey, that's what warranties are for right? PXL_20210617_151222404.jpg

Domenick likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. I haven't made any decisions yet myself, but we don't really know what the trims/options are going to look like (The reservation trims are AFAIK non binding and non-final). We have three datapoints for range, two in pretty good to excellent conditions, one in near worst case conditions (the battery life videos, which you are clearly referencing, in which he was driving very fast - 75+ MPH average, cruise control set for 80+ - in heavy rain on a cool day - though the temperature wasn't low enough to make much of a difference in theory). The best case conditions suggest a range at or exceeding claimed range, worst case was obviously a lot worse (which is a concern, but from the scattered data I can dig up, it seems most models suffer badly under similar conditions). The only datapoint we have for the rear window also comes from the battery life videos, in which he claims it is "completely full" but doesn't show it. It does concern me, but I think we need more data to understand the car's characteristics (I also wonder how "completely full" compares to my mazda3/typical compact sedan).

Basically: let's wait and see more reviews and such.

miatadan likes this.
  9. I caught a couple of other reviews that mentioned the window being blocked in rain too. And my problem with the range is not just that it's not a step up from the Kona, despite being a larger battery, but also that the car seems to have lost the efficiency that has made the early Hyunda/Kia EVs so impressive. Also, as I mentioned, having a chunk of that range loss being caused by big wheels and unwanted AWD just compounds my disappointed. But, like you, I'm keeping my hat in the ring until pricing and final trim details are released.

elfrocampeador likes this.
  10. Fair enough, though with caveats. Specifically that comparisons against the Kona/Ioniq aren't really fair. They're in different size classes with different body forms (By comparison, the Tesla Model Y is markedly less efficient than the Model 3, even though it theoretically has a pretty good drag coefficient). The I5 looks like it'll be as if not more efficient as it's immediate competitors (the comparison with the Model Y is weirder, because of how hard it is to get real numbers on tesla stuff).

The rear window thing I'm mildly concerned about myself (if you have references for those other reviews, assuming they're in english, please link them), though I suppose it's probably mitigated by being able to use the rear camera on the move.

Hopefully the 19" wheels will be accessible to upper trims (one way or another). I agree that the 19s make most sense (the range difference isn't *dramatic*, perhaps 15 miles, but it's not nothing when every mile counts)

11. miatadan

miatadan Active Member Subscriber

I was excited about the Ioniq 5 until local dealership treated me poorly and found out RWD versions, performance is awful 0-60 sec time approx 7.7 worse than Kona Electric

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Can't help you with the window info. I just grazed YouTube and found it somewhere. I was indeed wondering if you could factory order the Ultimate with 19" tires or would it cause Hyundai's head to explode.

Oh, and I'm not sure a rear camera is immune from being covered in schmutz either. They sure aren't in an Ontario winter.

14. AFAIK the only english language reviewer so far is Battery Life, so I bet the other references are repeating him. We'll see how it shakes out when there are more out there (omitting the rear wiper is certainly a strange decision, though one it seems hyundai/kia make more often than others). We'll also see how the real options and trims actually end up (and if dealers would be willing to do it "off menu"). Fair point about the shmutz (though somehow my mazda3's camera has never really gotten messy. Granted I'm not in Canada. I'm the random northeast US guy lurking for info!)

Edit: Correction, Battery life is the only one I know of who has driven it in the rain. Asian Petrolhead also did a few videos on it.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2021
  15. Andy Murray

Andy Murray New Member

That was terrible on the Model 3 I drove last winter, couldn't see a thing out the back.

16. The sad truth of the matter is that so few people shoulder check or use their rear view mirrors that an obscured rear window isn't really seen as being a problem. :(

miatadan likes this.
  17. Andy Murray

Andy Murray New Member

Agreed, but I don't plan on joining that crowd. :rolleyes:

miatadan likes this.
  18. miatadan

miatadan Active Member Subscriber

Agree as well

19. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ New Member

Dropped my deposit. Within 10 minutes, 3 calls and 2 texts from different salespeople at the dealership..gawd, I hate the dealership model. Question tho: claim from one of the salespeople that I need to provide them with my driver's license to process the paperwork at this stage..not inclined to start a contract on a car without pricing yet..anyone else encounter this requiement?

miatadan likes this.
  20. Ya, that's baloney. Tell them to back off or, better yet, change preferred dealerships.

GaryClark and ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ like this.
  21. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ New Member

I ghosted them and the barrage of calls stopped. I'm sure it will start up again when they get delivery dates. Say what you will about Tesla, but my swmbo's m3 was the least painful vehicle purchase ever.

miatadan likes this.
  22. Northern Bernie

Northern Bernie New Member

I know we have time before pricing and delivery dates come, but I'm having trouble deciding if I would rather have the ultimate package with the 20s, or give up all of the goodies to get the 19s. I want the AR, V2L, vented seats, vision roof,even the Bose would be welcome. How big a deal is that ~40kms lost to the big wheels? I guess it's only an issue on drives where you will push those distances. I'm also concerned about winter range loss. I know someone posted that some Korean publication said the HMC heat pump is more efficient than others. I guess we will have to wait to see. Even if you could opt for 19s in the ultimate package, how much is performance hurt? You would almost need to test drive them both back to back.

23. But you're not getting most (all?) of your wishlist if it's anything but the Ultimate. And that's regardless of whether you managed to wangle the 19" tires somehow.