2021 Kona EV (Preferred) conversion to LED (exterior and interior)

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by navguy12, Aug 25, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Checked the front turners, and indeed they have two filaments. Wonder why?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. navguy12

navguy12 Well-Known Member

Got my winter tire/wheel set thru 1010tires. Michelin snows on black steel wheels with TPMS, $1630.40 all in, delivered to my house.

apu and electriceddy like this.
  4. All set for winter, maybe supply more info on the tires (model etc and the rims) I trust that include TPMS sensors?

5. I have a quote from KalTire for <$1,100 for Nokian WRG4 all weathers, installed with TPMS sensors, etc. - ready to roll. I drove about 160,000kms, 12 winters on my two Priuses (Prii?) on WRG3s. (One set per car!) I was very happy with them. The 'tire guy' at Kal Tire uses them too. He thinks they are better than the Michelin all weathers. Price wise they are pretty much the same. I think I will stick with the Nokians - I guess the Finns know winters. I love the no hassle tire change/tire storage. And I am beyond heavy winter sports. If the weather is really crappy we don't go out.

apu likes this.
  6. navguy12

Yes, that price is what was charged to the credit card, includes plain black steel wheels, TPMS, Hunter Road balancing, home delivery, taxes, eco fees:
    20200919_202250.jpg

The tires are Michelin "X-ICE Snow"

Kirk likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Before someone corrects me. True winter shoes will beat any all weather shoes if you are winter enthusiast or must drive a lot in winter, regardles the weather for work etc. No question. Also true that while all weathers bear the alpine symbol on the side of the tire, Quebec and the insurance companies do not consider them as 'winter' tires. However, for 'city slackers' who mostly drive on plowed city streets all weather tires are fine. It depends on your use.

Kirk and navguy12 like this.
  9. Does that price include new rims (wheels) as well ?

10. I posted a pic of these before but since we are talking about winter again(uggh) and for the sake posterity these are my Kona's snow shoes, made in Japan Bridgestone Blizzak WS 90 215/55/17 that I picked up last year, they came from quattro tire. They were mounted to a cheap used set of 17 inch Hyundai aluminum wheels I got off of Kijiji. The winter set of wheels and new tires, new TPMS sensors and new center caps came to a total of $1180, shipped, mounted, balanced and taxed. For whatever its worth they saw lots of snow last year and overall handled the Canadian prairie winter exceptionally well. I would absolutely buy these again. I still like the wheels and IMHO the Kona rocks them better than OEM aero wheels. Its one of the few vehicles I own where the winters wheels look better than the summers :) .

[​IMG]

navguy12 likes this.
  11. No. With "all weather" tires you don't need a second set of wheels, no tire changes, no tire storage. That is the whole idea! But make sure they will meet your needs! See the notes above.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. persianrider

persianrider Member

If anyone is looking into the lasfit kit ... I received the brand new one I ordered off Amazon US

Sending it back means I pay the shipping and in the end lose 50$....

if someone wants it in the Montreal area ... 100$ it’s yours

never installed ... I’m keeping the 110w kit on the car

14. I think we all contributed to make this thread a mish-mash of interesting ideas, trials and tribulations. It would be nice to break various topics up to separate threads for the Kona E. I would recommend "Lights"; "Tires"; "Travel Trips and Tricks"; "Battery HV and 12V"; etc.
    It would make it easier to find stuff as this valuable; information pool grows.

Kirk, navguy12 and persianrider like this.
  15. Are you sure the delay will go away if all LED? Did you look at a ultimate model to verify?
    Cheers

16. navguy12

I can confirm, via watching my wifes car using the turn signals, that all the turn signal lamps are now in sync with the applicable outside rear view mirror housing LED repeaters.

Edit: spelling.

Kirk, John McLellan and electriceddy like this.
  17. Hi Navguy;
    Are you still using these LED bulb replacements? How do you like them? My car was in the "battery waiting room" (outside) the dealer's lot for three months. Now I am thinking of replacing the bulbs with LEDs, starting with the turns and backup.
    Beyond the info you have passed on here, are there any other suggestions??
    Thanks
    Lars

18. navguy12

Still using all the ones I installed last year, no issues at all.

I can’t remember if it is captured somewhere in this thread, but the turn signal LEDs are so bright I did take a black Sharpie to cover most of the individual LEDs…

Lars likes this.
  19. navguy12

Lars and electriceddy like this.
  20. miatadan

miatadan Active Member Subscriber

Even my 2019 VW Jetta had all LED exterior/interior lighting without incandescent bulbs.
    Another example that Hyundai/Kia are not using best quality parts. In 2021 every model should use LED lighting.

Kirk likes this.
  21. Kind of a generalized statement, isn't it?
    I have yet to have a burnt out light bulb in either Kona EV I owned, to this point anyway.
    I guess if one wants to upgrade to LED lighting for what ever reason, more power to them (and it is nice to have topics covering that especially as well documented as this one). The lower cost bulbs are fine with me as replacement is inexpensive as well.
    Admittedly Hyundai had some growing pains with the first release Kona EVs in 2018, details of which are numerous in this forum (and are doing probably the best they can under the current conditions to remedy the major one- BTW not their fault).
    Without straying OT, I just want to add I think Hyundai has stepped up quality while keeping the price aligned: my current model has been trouble free in all respects, mechanically and including software upgrades such as charging the 12V battery, improved passing with SCC, etc.
    I am also happy with the quality engineering aspect of the vehicle, just open the hood and you will see components well routed and laid out, compare these:
    Mach - E

[​IMG]

Kona EV

[​IMG]
    ;)

mho, syntaxfx, KiwiME and 2 others like this.
  22. Dan, you seemed to have owned a lot of cars for short periods of time. Why is that? And what do you have now?

23. miatadan

miatadan Active Member Subscriber

Yes, you are correct maybe too much of generalized statement. I always felt that the Kona Electric and Niro EV only became popular as they were first to have longer range EV's in 2018-19. Being electric having the smoothness, full torque from zero, quiet interior is why they still be loved.

I was really disappointed with what Ford did with Mach-E from that Munroe Live video and the newest video ( Doors Off +ECU of Mach-E )

If you check other teardowns, Tesla is doing things what for methods of manufacturing as not having to deal with ICE vehicle factories being modified for EV production.

Dan

Lars and electriceddy like this.