Not sure I'd buy another Hyundai after this treatment

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by EnerG, Jun 5, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. EnerG

EnerG Active Member

I think we have waited quite long enough for them to have a quick resolution. I was really happy to hear some of the US owners are getting buybacks and I think the fair thing to do would treat all Hyundai customers in an equal manner. But no, it would seem the Canadian owners are left dangling stuck with an 80% charge rate until they get around to battery repair/replacements.

I've now had my car in 6 times for the same issue and the service department just can't seem to come up with a fix to repair noises in the front end while low speed maneuvering. This leaves me thinking either the car is a terrible quality or the dealer JP PoCo is completely incompetent. The ICE loaner cars do not seem as bad as the Kona albeit they are buzz bombs.

The software on the Kona is another sore point and with no hope of an update to fix annoying issues, it steers my purchase thoughts to a tech company like Tesla. In all of the reviews I watched on the Ionic 5 I did not hear anything about OTAs. But even if it did have them they would unlikely ever give you a free update. Why would they opt to improve the existing fleet when they can keep pushing you into a newer model?

I might have opted for the Ionic5 but my experience with Hyundai has left me cold. I am not saying I'll buy a Tesla as my next car, but Tesla owners do seem to be happy regarding their OTA experiences claiming their old cars are now than better than they were when they bought them.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. FloridaSun

FloridaSun Well-Known Member

This doesn't really have anything to do with Hyundai but with your customer protection laws in Canada. Hyundai USA wouldn't buy back cars here either if they wouldn't risk millions and millions in lawyer expenses if they would not buy back the cars. It's not that the US politicians care that much about the consumer. It's because lawyers are powerful political donors and that's what created the US legal system where companies are driven into insolvency by huge lawsuits.. Every business is scared of legal action due to the power of lawyers in this country.

4. Try Langley Hyundai. I have taken my car there for all updates and fixes, and they have always been good. Have never had to go back for the same issue. And they are fast, software (eg BMS) updates usually less than an hour, and I just wait there, no need for a loaner.

GeorgeS likes this.
  5. GeorgeS

GeorgeS Active Member

I believe one of Hyundai's biggest mistakes in taking on EV's is not to do over the air updates. This means a sore thumb every time they want to make a change that they have to issue a recall. BMS updates could have been handled over the air so people in remote areas have to drive to the nearest Hyundai dealer and wait. Big inconvenience. Maybe Hyundai will learn.
    I have heard many complaints about some Hyundai dealers but I have heard just as many with Tesla (no dealers). Different issues but complaints just the same. It is unfortunate that this defect appeared but it is a ground breaking EV just the same. I have loved mine and wish this unfortunate defect had not occurred. If you really like Hyundai, don't give up on them. If Hyundai carries through with the buy backs and actually replace batteries of those who want to keep their Kona, then I will respect them even more. I believe this defect should have been caught by LG Chem as they manufactured the battery. They are the battery supposed experts.

6. Not for me. I would much prefer learning of the results of the "updates" from other owners who have had it done. Then decide if that particular one suits my requirements.

mho and R P like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. EnerG

EnerG Active Member

Agree but OTA can be opt in, not forced. If an OTA changes the way the car behaves or alters your experience, you should be given at least a fair warning or have the "uninstall" option. Consumer protection agencies should be all over this.

9. Bholland

Bholland New Member

Software updates should not be a recall but that is probably just how it is done or some law.