Recall 200 limits charge capacity until battery replacement - $250 gift card for our troubles

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by srkz, Mar 19, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. srkz

srkz New Member

So recall 200 for the battery replacement is still listed as "remedy not available", and I think everyone understands it's going to take some time before Hyundai can manufacture and ship enough battery packs to replace every one of them. In the meantime, they're instructing drivers and dealers to reduce their maximum charge, or to park outside.

This is kind of a shitty deal for me because I have a long commute and use most of my car's range on a pretty regular basis, so I reached out to Hyundai Motor America with my concerns and a request for a lease buy-back due to the vehicle being dangerously defective.

I just heard back from them today, and the answer is no (of course) but they also included this little tidbit:

"There will be supplemental communication from Hyundai Motor America to all customers affected by campaign 200, who will be given a $250 gift card for the reduction in EV capacity. I do not have a time frame for the outreach or remedy at this time."

I'm pretty disappointed in this whole scenario, but at least we've got a token gift card to look forward to, I guess.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2021
    XtsKonaTrooper and milesian like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Fine as long as the gift card does not have to be used to purchase Hyundai products!

XtsKonaTrooper likes this.
  4. Ed C

Ed C Active Member

So let me get this straight.

Recall 200 is the battery replacement. This recall also reduces the maximum capacity of the battery. But we will get a $250 gift card for the loss in capacity, not to mention the loss in time to have the car in the dealership for the battery swap.

There is no news from Hyundai as why this new battery we are getting is supposed to be better than the old one. They may make you believe the battery separators on the new battery will be bullet proof compared to the old, and that once its done then no more fires.....what happens when cars that did get the new batteries still catches fire???

XtsKonaTrooper likes this.
  5. I believe the battery capacity reduction is their short term solution for the bent anodes problem . I honestly don't think it will do much but that seems like their best solution, pretty sad actually.

electriceddy likes this.
  6. srkz

srkz New Member

Correct

Not quite. The recall suggests that you reduce the maximum charge capacity until the battery is replaced, to reduce the chance of fire. It's a temporary measure as far as I understand. The dealer just changes the max charge setting for you, or you can do it yourself. It's not a software update, just a setting change. If you don't reduce the max charge setting, they recommend you park outside so your garage doesn't burn down.

Yeah it's kind of a joke. $250 is definitely not worth the amount of trouble I've been through for this car lol.

Not true, it's even in the recall notice. The anode tabs on these batteries are not coated with a dielectric material, and in some cases they may have been folded in the manufacturing process, allowing a short circuit to happen. The replacement batteries are just like all the other batteries manufactured after 2020 and have a dielectric coating on the anode tab so even if there is a manufacturing defect which causes the tab to become folded and touch the cathode it won't short out.

Of course there could be some OTHER problem in these new batteries, but they've been very clear about the specific problem they're resolving with this replacement.

electriceddy, R P, Toolworker and 2 others like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Suzanne Roth

Suzanne Roth Member

Coincidentally, I sent this to Hyundai today: "I am requesting compensation for the inconvenience of multiple recalls/inspections/updates. This morning I brought in my 2019 Kona for its 3rd recall inspection/update. I have owned it for 17 months. For the first two recall inspections, I had to leave the vehicle for the entire day. Now I have to leave it for 48 hours for three different recall/updates. Complimentary Lyft rides are provided, but this is not adequate compensation for the inconvenience. I have had to cancel two appointments. 250 kilowatt-hours of complimentary charging is requested. Hyundai should extend this to all affected Kona owners. Furthermore, the value of the Kona EV is greatly affected. The end of lease purchase price should be reduced. (My brother purchased the 2019 Kia Niro. His vehicle has had no recalls or updates. No inconvenience. I wish I had purchased the Kia). I look forward to hearing from you."

9. EnerG

EnerG Active Member

As I recall the gift cards are for 250CAD or 200USD. Please chime in if you've been given another amount.

Asking for free charging is great as long as you aren't continuously stop/starting the charging. I often get 5 or 6 notices at night that the car has completed its charging cycle even though it isn't any where near 80%. It restarts, cycles a few times and finishes up at the 80% level. This is okay for overnight charging but I'd be very upset if I had to wait for all of those stop starts when fast charging.

Personally I would have asked for one years free unlimited DC fast charging. It would seem a more reasonable amount as 250kWh is really only a few charge cycles.

10. HepKona

HepKona Member

I still haven’t received anything for compensation. When I call Hyundai, they can’t find anything and I should go to the dealership. When I go to the dealership they tell me I have to call Hyundai.

I am to the point that I’m going to start looking to trade it in. I really like the car, but the Hyundai customer experience is the worst I have ever had.

11. HepKona

HepKona Member

After 2 hours on the phone with corporate (and 3+ months after the “repair”), I finally received a $200 (virtual) credit card on Thursday.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

12. To remove this ad click here.

14. Suzanne Roth

Suzanne Roth Member

Congratulations!!