I was told today because of recall 200, Hyundai wants buy back our cars

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Mattsburgh, May 11, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

Tags:
  1. In California, the usage adjustment to the buyback price is based on the odometer the first time the vehicle was taken to the dealer for correction of the problem.

I've had campaigns 960, 196 and 199. Which if any of these was an attempt to address the vehicle fire problem?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. doggyworld

doggyworld Active Member

I'm thinking if they offer buyback based off of mileage/120k here in CA, I think I would rather keep it and have them replace the battery at some point. Do you guys know if what happens if we deny the buyback? Will they still replace the batteries at some point?

Some other thoughts are that I don't think they should be using the same 120k mileage for lemon law for EV's.. but maybe that's my own gripe.

4. FloridaSun

FloridaSun Well-Known Member

As this is a National buyback, state law may not be relevant..but we will see.. I would be in legal limbo as no state law applies to my purchase. Bought in Maryland and live in Florida. Maryland law applies to all newly registered cars and Florida law applies to all cars purchased in Florida. As neither applies to my situation, neither lemon law applies to my case.

5. greinstein

greinstein New Member

I have the same question you did. Recalls 960 (May 2020) and 196 (11-20) were both for the lith ion batteries. Should the valuation be based on mileage as of May 2020? I will need to discuss with Sedgwick when they call next week.

Toolworker and Esprit1st like this.
  6. That's a very measured approach to the situation and I hope you are correct. Thanks for the thought. Just charged to 100% for a big road trip I'm taking tomorrow.

navguy12 likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. FloridaSun

FloridaSun Well-Known Member

For me, this is more like a warranty and not lemon law issue. They admitted that there is a risk of catching fire if you use the battery as intended. They have no ETA on replacing the battery and therefore are not fixing the warranty issue in a reasonable time.

Chris Alemany and XtsKonaTrooper like this.
  9. Keep us updated if you get an answer to that question.

10. I have a kid starting college in the fall and may need to take one or two drives a year from CT to FL. The Y will definitely have more room to transport her stuff and the Tesla Supercharger network all along the east coast seems more than adequate.

navguy12 and FloridaSun like this.
  11. So here's what we have learned from our dealer today (Nanaimo, Canada).
    Basically, the straight info came from the service dept. The less straight, more infuriating, info came from the sales. No surprise there. lol.

Good-ish News (From the Service guys)
    He expects battery replacements to start in Aug/Sept.
    It will be done by VIN. Hyundai will send a letter when the replacement is ready followed up by the dealer/service dept scheduling a date.
    He expected it would take 6-8mo to go through their whole list.
    They have done 1 replacement themselves. Not recall related.
    It takes two days.
    They provide a loaner EV.

Now Bad news from sales:
    They did not offer any recall/buyback related information at all. They walked us over to service for the info above.
    Again they did not offer any buyback info. When we brought it up, blank stares.
    They were focused on a standard trade-in/new purchase process. So we went along to see what they offered.
    Sales indicated it could be up to a year before we have battery replaced.
    We made the case that the ticking time bomb with 80% charge sitting in our driveway next to the house is not good enough and in our opinion we have a failed, dangerous, vehicle that should be replaced under warranty.
    We test drove a used 2021 Ultimate just to remind ourselves of the difference from our Preferred 2019... came to same conclusion we didn't see value of difference.
    We indicated interested in a red Preferred 2021 - Sticker price $46,799
    They came back with the following offer:

The used Ultimate we drove lol.
    Base Price $49,368 incl a few basic equipment (cargo, rubber mat, mud flap, wiper, wheel locks)
    Trade-in offer: $29,000 (!!)

After levies and government rebates ($8000) and "loyalty" rebate ($500) plus taxes, our total owing would be $14,340.

My wife nearly lost her cool. lol.

We were polite but suffice to say, not impressed with the sales dept. We'll keep talking. The sales lady knew it was a low ball, and that's fine, but obviously if we want anything approaching a fair deal it's going to be a process and the buyback process has not been broached.

Round 1 over. lol.

Sent from my iPad using Inside EVs

Last edited: May 22, 2021
    Kirk, arhnold, Devhead and 5 others like this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Don't forget that there are no equivalents to Lemon Laws in Canada and no guidelines for buybacks either. The American consumer protection experience is vastly different from the Canadian one. In Canada, take the battery.

14. I was at that same dealer the day after that replacement was done, I did however do much better on trade in value (over $40K) ;)
    https://insideevsforum.com/community/index.php?threads/post-pics-of-your-kona.6276/page-6#post-113151
    BTW the provincial rebate is now a one time shot, so use it wisely.

mho and Chris Alemany like this.
  15. XtsKonaTrooper

XtsKonaTrooper Well-Known Member

So there's a very good chance, some ppl are gonna be driving in the winter at 80%.
    Yeah thats not gonna cut it for me,
    Technically, I'm already incurring extra costs for on the road veh charging which was not the purpose of this veh. If that were the case I would have gotten the ioniq electric at a much lower cost. With 100% charging at home this veh works for me, not freaking wasting time at an ev station and paying those prices.
    Push comes to shove, I'll give them bad pr and I've already thought of creative ways. I don't find it fair at all, that South of the border , ppl are getting buybacks. I bought the veh mostly for the wife cuz in the summer I'm usually riding my bike or the convertible but she won't drive the Kona.
    I've been chasing Service down cuz their not even in a hurry to do these recalls. But when I found out the service manager was gone on Friday, the sales guy said can I help you. I asked if they had an Kona electric and they did, so I asked is it effected by the recall (which I know its not) and he is like what recall. So here ya got sales guys clueless or playing stupid to the recall. I then dropped the bomb and said you guys take trade ins, of course.....what's a rough ball park on a 19 Kona Electric with the effected battery....oh I don't know about that , I'll have to get back to you.. .
    Still waiting on the call.
    I'm even surprised you got a 29k trade in value, I'm expecting it much worse.

Chris Alemany likes this.
  17. So I have been reading through all of this. My main question is do you have to file a complaint with corporate before getting the buyback option? Can you share the number to call? I too am concerned that we could be waiting for years for the battery and I'm not sure we will ever get it.

18. SeanH

SeanH Active Member

Read back through Mattsburgh's posts, he's got a lot of good information. Here is where he posted the phone numbers:
    I'm taking my car in tomorrow to have the handholding recalls done (since it seems they ask for that as part of the process), and then I'm going to call to start mine.

Jennifer and Mattsburgh like this.
  19. Absolutely. I think we should have a pretty early VIN*, but I still expect us to be waiting until November or December at the earliest.

*General Question: Do we have an idea yet of the actual range of VINs affected? What is the start number on the 2019 line?

Me neither, and I am on the warm west coast. We do notice the difference in range in the cold. Plus if things go to plan, the pandemic restrictions will be lifted and I will be driving up to 150km a day with a fire bomb behind me and plugging in beside the house every night. Not cool.

We should coordinate.

We have 38K mileage, a hitch and its in good shape. We paid 48K including accessories all in. It's not even 2 years since we bought it and it has been sitting in the driveway for most of the pandemic FGS!

I can see them selling it for 35-40K for it easy. Demand is still super high, esp with gas prices at $1.5/L. And the car looks great.

I don't blame the sales person who was just doin' their job, but the manager could have at least come out of his lair and had a chat. I HATE the stupid back and forth game dealers play and he knows this isn't a normal trade/purchase process. We made it abundantly clear we would not be even sitting in the chair with them if their car didn't have a recall because we love the car! We would have expected at least 30K. The fact he went under 30 was an insult IMO.

I do wonder what the conversation was like after we left. They're gonna give us a call on Tuesday. We'll see whether they change their tune or if we have to go to Hyundai Canada if we want to look at a buyback.

Sent from my iPad using Inside EVs

navguy12 likes this.
  20. But here's the thing: as far as the dealership was concerned you were just a person wanting to trade. You weren't doing a "buyback". Heck, you were barely even disgruntled. They don't know a thing about EVs or recalled batteries or U.S. buyback talk. Of course they're going to lowball you. That's what they do. I still maintain that you will fair better if you operate within the government mandated recall process when you will have Corporate Hyundai controlling things and not Dealership Hyundai house -rules.

Mattsburgh, BC-Doc, EnerG and 3 others like this.
  21. I believe it's more complicated than that. I think I read somewhere that there was at least two facilities producing batteries at some point. Which makes me think that probably towards the end of the questionable time frame things got intermingled and some cars are on the recall list while others are not.

Chris Alemany likes this.
  22. Naw, I don't buy that (haha). The service guy mentioned there could be a buyback process when they first contacted us so the dealership knows or has no reason not to know. They're just playing the game. Which on one level is fine. Disappointing, as I liked the dealership and now I think much less of it (service dept is still great tho) but fine. We kept our powder dry, we just wanted to see where they were going to start. Would they try to work with us and be an ally to help us be made whole with the recall, or will they just do the car salesman dance. Now we know. Game on. You're right, I think we'll be headed to Corporate.

Ah, that makes sense. According to Transport Canada there are less than 5000 cars affected in this country. I guess VINs could really be allover the map but at least it's not a massive number of vehicles. Just depends how Hyundai Global rolls it out. Maybe a call to TC or Hyundai would provide clues.

Last edited: May 23, 2021
    navguy12 likes this.
  23. It's sad that you cannot trust any dealer. Why don't they get that if they work with the customer it's going to be better for them in the long run, too?

Selling stuff is one thing. But you have to work with the customer.

I used to run my own business and I was always focused on the customer. We had nothing but 5-star reviews and nothing but perfect reputation. Everybody would talk nothing but best about us.

That's the important thing. Sometimes you just need to leave money out of the picture and be there for your customer. But who does that anymore?

Well, just ranting on, so I'll stop here.

BC-Doc, navguy12 and Chris Alemany like this.