For those who have installed rear mudflaps or hitch

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by SSpiffy, May 10, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. SSpiffy

SSpiffy Member

How do you remove the bumper cover? I see in the mudflap instructions to tape and use a special tool. How is it actually held on? And what does the tool do?

Thanks,

Gene 2020 Honda Clarity
    Sent from my Pixel 3 using Inside EVs mobile app

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Boston_Pilot

Boston_Pilot Active Member

4A9774B0-A2F0-4417-A85E-46F2EC4407D4.jpeg

Hi,

I have the factory Mudguards installed. Removing the bumper wasn’t required…..

4. Removing the bumper cover requires removal of the tail lights. There are 4 nuts that hold each light in place. They are accessed from inside the trunk.

Do not drop the nuts.

5. Roy2001

Roy2001 Member

Mudguards mostly only require you to turn front wheels.

6. I suspect the bumper cover in question is the rear cover. Not sure how turning the front wheels would have much of an impact on installing rear mud flaps.

Boston_Pilot likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Boston_Pilot

Must not be OEM, because the job couldn’t be simpler. I did mine while the tires were off for balancing/rotation…..THAT helped a ton. No bumper cover involved though

9. SSpiffy

SSpiffy Member

10. Boston_Pilot

Kindly notice my vehicle with all 4 mudguards installed.

Still didn’t remove any part of the bumper

11. It appears that the instructions call to separate the rear bumper trim from the rear body panel, rather than completely remove the bumper trim.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. SSpiffy

SSpiffy Member

How did you access the inner fender to cut the reliefs for the spring nuts?
    Gene 2020 Honda Clarity

14. If you’re asking me, I have only installed the hitch, which required removing the bumper cover.

15. SSpiffy

SSpiffy Member

So, how did you remove the bumper cover? Did you just grab it and pull, or did you use some trim tool?
    Gene 2020 Honda Clarity

16. In a previous thread, Clarity Accessories, I posted some details on the procedure. In a nutshell:
    Remove all the snap connectors and other fasteners from below and in the wheel wells.
    Remove the wear guard in the trunk where the door latches. This will take moderate to tremendous force.
    Remove the tail lights.
    At this point, the snap connectors at the seam between the cover and the rear body panels are about the only thing holding it together. Two people and a bit of wiggling should complete the task.

Reverse the above steps to put Humpty back together again.

17. SSpiffy

SSpiffy Member

18. larrenz

larrenz Member

Any info about your hitch? I want to install one on my Clarity so that I can use my bike rack. I saw some hitch options from 4wheelonline though I'm not sure if the one that fits the Accord would work.

19. Search for the above referenced thread “Clarity Accessories”. In post #73, I discussed the installation process. The Torklift is well built. Installation is pretty straightforward. It is rated to tow 2000lbs with a 300lb tongue weight. The Clarity, however, is not rated to tow.

I opted for the 2” receiver, as we already had a bike rack of that size. Be mindful of driveway to street transitions, even without the rack installed.

larrenz likes this.