Kona replacement

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Paul DeLeon, May 15, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Pobre

Pobre Member

Kandi Motors based on Texas USA, is pretty decent cheap EV. another choice for us here in USA, not sure if they offer outside US at this time.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Pobre

Pobre Member

Kandi Motors based on Texas USA, is pretty decent cheap EV. another choice for us here in USA, not sure if they offer outside US at this time.

4. Paul DeLeon

Paul DeLeon Active Member

I finally test drove a 21 Bolt. It has a crummy seat and a high 82dB noise level. It'll charge to 265 miles and has adjustable regeneration paddle. No navigation at all. No heat pump. On the positive side, the 22 is said to be a much better car, so big discounts are on offer.

5. I wish this were happening six months from now.

The only car I'd consider today, other than a replacement Kona, is the Mustang Mach-E. It has a bunch of features I really wanted when I bought the Kona, including a 360 degree camera (compensates for the larger vehicle size). But I would miss the heads-up display and cornering lights. And no EV I've driven is as fun as the Kona.

My second choice would be a 2022 Kona EV. They are being delivered now in other countries, but no U.S. date or specs have been announced.

When I bought the Kona, the Niro was my second choice, and I might look at it again before jumping. But it lacked some features and the steering was stiff. The new Kia EV might be worth a look, but like the 2022 Kona, delivery is months off.

So as it stands today, I would probably get a 2021 Kona EV, pocket the $7500 profit from the tax credit, and consider it a temporary car that I would replace again in a year or two, when there will be more choices.

I might also consider buying something used as a temporary car and wait for the perfect keeper to hit the market. I might even consider a used Chevrolet Volt, which I've owned. It's a great driving car and can be considered a pure EV with a 60 mile or so range, plenty for my driving habits.

6. E-Shark

E-Shark Active Member

The VW ID.4 will have a heat pump in Canada. Maybe you can get your dealership to order you one in with it? It does seem to have very good features and a good price. The tracker system from factory to US seems like a good addition.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. mikeselectricstuff

mikeselectricstuff Active Member

Not looking good for them :

Lainey likes this.
  9. There will be a lot of new EVs this year to chose from with very decent (~ 400km+) range. The new BOLTs are interesting with many old issues fixed (seats!). It seems that the only remaining issue with them is the low DC power intake - @50kW? I guess GM is waiting for their Ultium Battery.
    The Canadian pricing of the new BOLTs is quite aggressive. Below comparable "economical" EVs. Also the VW ID4 has a good list price. The Ioniq 5 (in 2022?) also looks nice. Love the power plug at the back - like Teslas.

As for me I will keep my Kona. Both my wife, lady lead foot, and I love this car. It does exactly what we need it for.

BC-Doc likes this.
  10. My mistake. The power inlet on the back is on the KIA EV6.

11. NRH

NRH Active Member

It seems to me that the next big development for EV practicality is faster DC charging, so if I change vehicles as a result of the recall, I'd like to get something with a higher charge speed.

Not that we do much DC charging, but it seems like one possible point of obsolescence for EVs as new models come out. And a car that could charge at 125 or 150 kw would be darn close to gas-filling speed for road trips, considering that it takes us 30-40 minutes for most long-distance stops in our Kona. (Cut that to 15 or 20 minutes, and it's shorter than the time it takes me to pee and buy coffee.)

I pre-registered for an ID4 on a whim, and I'm curious about the Ioniq5, but frankly, I really like our Kona. We might also decide that a new Kona is still the best bet for us. (Or maybe the Ioniq5 will become available in time to be a contender). The Niro's similarity, heat pump and increased space SHOULD make it a contender, but it's just such a dull-looking car! I'm having trouble getting over that.

Is anyone else considering faster DC charging speed as a factor in their next-car options?

BC-Doc, Lars and electriceddy like this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. I am itching to find out the time frame to exercise a buyback. How long will we have after receiving an offer price to deliver back the car?

I'm assuming that my only alternatives are models available from a dealer today. I fear nothing else will be ready soon enough, not even the 2022 Kona EV in the U.S.
    There are so many variables in EV design. The only constant is that selection of an EV is deeply dependent on the purchaser's individual pattern of use.

You take long trips. I drove a Chevrolet Volt (60+ mile EV range) for almost two years without ever turning on the gas engine except for automatic fuel and engine maintenance, and charged almost exclusively at home.

I love all the new models coming out, with different sets of features and gadgets. But the big game changer - hopefully - will be the Ford F-150 Lightning, which might show a whole new cohort of drivers that there is an EV for them. Once they mash the accelerator on one of those babies, there'll be no going back.

I can't wait for the Ford forum posts about VESS modifications to make a muffler cutout sound.

14. Pretty much the first thing I try to find out is the charging curve, hopefully more 800V systems get installed into up and coming EVs. Not sure if Fords new Lightning p/up is there. Not even sure about the actual pack sizes either.
    Also I consider when EV "shopping" is the availability of a heat pump and ground clearance.

BC-Doc likes this.
  15. Bing
    Bingo! The same reasons the Bolt lost out to Kona in my research. My mid-range Preferred Kona also has nicer interior, a heat pump, better seats and ride and a host of safety stuff, including Smart Cuse. It is a really fine car!

Toolworker likes this.
  16. With a 400km+ range for me the DC fast charging speed is no big thing. But it may be for some. It really boils done to what one needs are, that is how are you going to use the car, and what one can afford or willing to pay.
    On the other hand one can wait for batter cars with better features, better deals and end up driving a gas/diesel car to their old age. :( I for one feel sorry for those. :)

BC-Doc likes this.