I was told today because of recall 200, Hyundai wants buy back our cars

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Mattsburgh, May 11, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

Tags:
  1. E-Shark

E-Shark Active Member

I don't think they will have enough Ioniq 5's with the production delays. If roll out is anything similar to the Kona when it first came to NA, they will have more demand then what they can ship. Here's to hoping that they do make some sort of enticing offer.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Shark

Shark Active Member

The Lemon Law statute here in New Jersey is similar. But at least here in New Jersey (and I suspect in most other states), the statute does not provide the manufacturer can unilaterally declare a car to be a Lemon and take back the car without the owner's agreement. In fact here in New Jersey a Lemon Law legal action can ONLY be initiated by the owner (or lessee).

While there is nothing to prevent Hyundai and an owner from mutually agreeing to a buyout, AFAIK there's no law stating an owner has to agree to what Hyundai might offer, even if the terms are consistent with the state's lemon law.

I still say in the end Hyundai will end up replacing batteries in at least the vast majority of the cars. While there might be some exceptions for whatever reasons (such as some owners invoking their state's lemon law), I don't see how buying back many of the cars could possibly make financial sense for Hyundai, especially assuming replacement batteries are going to be available once there has been sufficient time for them to be manufactured and distributed. Not surprising that Hyundai has not given more detail on timing. Their battery supplier(s) must be absolutely scrambling. Not saying that's acceptable or fair to owners, but it must be a huge logistical puzzle.

Will be interesting to see what the actual unsolicited buyback offers are.

There are some very high end cars that often go up in value after the initial sale. If Lemon laws allowed manufacturers to unilaterally buy back cars with the owners having no say, can you imagine the abuses that would take place?

Last edited: May 18, 2021
  4. doggyworld

doggyworld Active Member

I'd prefer to keep my Kona if they will replace the battery. I love the car and there's nothing really that I can get that is in the same price range anyways. I think even if I were to take a buyback, I may just buy another Kona and it might cost an extra $5k for a new one after factoring the rebates again. I'm hoping they don't require us to sell back the car and just replace the battery.

5. DasMeister

DasMeister Member

It took quite a bit of back and forth but will be picking up up my 2021 Kona electric (ultimate trim) tomorrow after dealership takes 2020 back (swapped)

6. Straight up swap? No additional cost? Leased or purchased? Very interesting.
    *Whoops! See you leased.

MarshaH likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. DasMeister

DasMeister Member

lease. - and just swap

They did admit to accidentally using my car as a shuttle car for customers while it was in for service though so that really helped move things along

ITown, navguy12, Mattsburgh and 5 others like this.
  9. And so it should:eek:

mho, navguy12 and Andre Laurence like this.
  10. Jim1960

Jim1960 Member

{This is just what Chevy did with our 2017 Bolt, which also had the battery issue. Bought it back. At a fair price. }

Mattsburgh likes this.
  11. Former VW TDi enthusiast here with buyback experience: "Dieselgate" was due to software switching on the emission controls when attached to diagnostics, and sw switching off when not. EPA told VW to fix or buyback: VW bought two of my cars, compensated me about $3000 above purchse price, so I essentially got to drive cars for free for 2+ years. Buyback process was relatively painless: enter VIN + loan data, wait, wait some more, get offer, deliver car. IIRC, it cost VW like $10Bn.

XtsKonaTrooper and Mattsburgh like this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Can you share the url?

14. Call whom? Dealer or corporate? Did you mind sharing the number you called?

Konasu and Mattsburgh like this.
  15. I have to disagree with you. Setting the max charge to 80% and never replacing the battery is not only not a fix, it's a lawsuit, and an easy one at that. They can't have it both ways, either the car is part of the recall, needs to be set at 80% temporarily and then the battery replaced, or, it's not part of the recall in which case it should be able to charge to 100% if that's what the owner wants.

16. EXACTLY. You can't have it both ways, Hyundai. Either replace the battery, or buy back the vehicle. 80% of what you sold me is an unacceptable solution.

17. Mattsburgh likes this.
  18. I am impatient and not a fan of "you'll hear something in 1 or 2 weeks" so I did some follow up calls today. This information is likely only going to be relevant to folks in the US, but here goes.

So Hyundai "closed" my case on Thursday last week and "sent it" to Sedgwick for the next step of the buyback process. It took some work but I found Sedgwick's number and called them and they did find me in the system but they claimed they don't have all the paperwork yet from Hyundai. She said it takes 7-10 days, and it has only been 5, and 2 of those were the weekend.

So ok, but I did ask some questions and was nice and polite and she was actually pretty helpful. She told me that the calculation for what the car is worth is based on where you live (so I think I'd say this confirms your own specific state lemon law is what is likely to be relevant here) and I told her for me PA and and I asked if she could tell me how the value is calculated. She looked it up and then said exactly what I'd hoped, she basically said what I'd read about PA's lemon law which is .10 cents per mile only up to the first time the problem occurred (I have no idea how to figure out that date and I don't care, because...) but a limit of 10% max of purchase price for the deduction.

I only have 13,000 miles. So the way I see is it my deduction could be as low as $1300 or even less (the whole "date of first problem" part), but at most 10% of my purchase price which would be around $4000. My personal opinion is, if I hadn't spent $4000 on vinyl wrap, a deduction of $4000 would not be bad at all for 2 years of driving the car. She also confirmed b/c I had no trade in and paid cash I would be refunded taxes in full.

Finally, I asked about the vinyl wrap I put on my car which cost about $4000. She said I would be able to submit paperwork / receipts and request reimbursement but of course she can't say whether it would happen or what my chances are there. (of course I also have a small concern: what if Hyundai says we don't want the car with wrap on it, it needs to be the way we sold it to you.... the problem there is, the place I went to didn't wrap the bumper, they painted it... which, obviously, I was fine with...at the time.... now, though... :( )

Final piece of information: Sedgwick puts the paperwork together, calculates the depreciation deduction based on which US state you're in and your mileage... and then sends it BACK to Hyundai and then Hyundai will email you an actual offer letter with price, which you can accept or reject. If you accept, they then set up an appointment where you will meet with their rep at a dealership to hand over the car (and get paid).

I will continue to post updates as I go through the process.

19. Good info. This will be helpful as I progress down a similar path. Some questions:

1. Did Hyundai give you any insight into why they are buying back vs. replacing the battery? I would think battery replacement should be cheaper, but maybe I'm wrong.

2. Other than WeatherTech mats, I haven't put any additional money into the car, so this type of offer would be very good for me. Now I'll need to decide if I want to replace it with a newer Kona EV model or look into a Tesla. And, if I decide to go with Tesla, I'm thinking of waiting it out to see if Biden's infrastructure plan will include reinstating the federal rebates for Tesla.

3. Can you share the number you used to call Sedgwick?

20. 1. No, they just told me they aren't aware of any plans Hyundai has to replace any batteries in the US at this time. I guess we can ask, but I doubt they'll tell us because it's probably something like "we really want to get people out of that 'lifetime' battery warranty" or "the US is so litigious we decided it would be more cost effective to just buy the cars back at this point".

2. That's funny because I actually said to the woman at Sedgwick today "I mean if I bought Weather Tech floor mats I could just remove those and sell them, but this is a vinyl wrap that is attached to the car, I can't just take it off and sell it to someone else".

3. Sure, np. It's 800-215-6230 just keep in mind until you start the process with Hyundai I doubt they'll talk to you. In my case they had my name in the system and my car and vin but were awaiting formal paperwork from Hyundai. The Hyundai corporate numbers are: 844-462-5557 and 833-462-8722, the first number is best to start with, but once you have an open case and a person assigned with an extension, the 2nd number is better b/c it'll let you bypass waiting and enter the extension of the exact person handling your case.

MarshaH and Esprit1st like this.
  21. autopro20

autopro20 New Member

After reading everything here, I am a little confused. Do these recall/battery issues only include the 2019 Kona EV, or is the 2020 Kona EV also a concern, as I have a family member who is in a lease with the 2020? Are there any issues with my 2020 Ioniq EV, and if any of our cars were being recalled, shouldn't we have received a recall notice from Hyunai?

22. navguy12

navguy12 Well-Known Member

Not suprised this isn't in the news.

Signed,

TM3 owner.

23. I suggest you enter your vin on the recall website to see if it's included or not. Or, just call Hyundai corporate and ask them the exact questions you just asked. I thought some 2020's were included in the recall, but I was told "Hyundai intends to offer buyback on all 2019's involved in this recall in the US" that's what she said. She didn't mention 2020 at all, whether you choose to read something into that is up to you, I certainly did.