Public Charger Cable Coiling: The Shopping Cart Theory of the BEV World

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by F14Scott, May 16, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

Is Scott right?

1. Yes.

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. Yes, and he is also very good looking.

4 vote(s)
    80.0%
  1. F14Scott

F14Scott Well-Known Member

Shopping Cart Theory

In a nutshell, if you don't return your shopping cart to the corral, you are an animal.

I submit my cable after charging and then the one at the neighboring charger.

Correctly placed:
    20210516_122822.jpg
    Incorrectly placed:
    20210516_122828.jpg

Last edited: May 16, 2021
    bldxyz, polyphonic and Toi like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Chicago

Chicago Member

and some poor kid who returns the carts loses his job... (bet you complain about your passengers not coiling their David Clarks!)

just kidding... these days it has more to do with Covid and fear of surface contamination than anything primal...

I loved your broken horn ring dilemma, the only pilots who have ever broke anything on any of my aircraft were both F14 pilots! The F4 and F16 guys were just fine. (Not kidding)

Last edited: May 16, 2021
    Toi likes this.
  4. F14Scott

Ha! Just used to honking around the bell cranks and push rods, I guess (although, as a RIO, I only did that in the sim).

As for the "keeping the cart boys employed" argument, Frederic Bastiat called that fallacy:

The Parable of the Broken Window

5. Chicago

Chicago Member

You are comparing apples and oranges.

6. Chicago

Chicago Member

What you have to understand is that is not a single person coiling it like that. It takes a dozen or so for it to get that bad. With Covid, until every user is fully vaccinated, you can't call out anyone as savage for not untangling it.

(And yes, that was me using the one next to you.)

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. F14Scott

I would counter that if one is willing to take the risk of touching the J1772, one is not gaining much marginal exposure by touching the cord.

Also, contact transmission in COVID had been shown to be extremely unlikely:
    "...the risk of SARS-CoV-2 infection via the fomite transmission route is low, and generally less than 1 in 10,000, which means that each contact with a contaminated surface has less than a 1 in 10,000 chance of causing an infection."

bldxyz likes this.
  9. Chicago

Chicago Member

"Willing to take the risk of touching" another assumption with flawed reasoning. Worse than your comparison of braking a window to putting a cart in a corral.

You have no idea how many times that nozzle would twist in your hand. Count the number of twists and tell me the odds of my pair cheap nitrile glove surviving it.

Wait, maybe you do know, since you did it for the one. I will see if I can pull the garage video and share it, we can all count!

10. F14Scott

I'm confused by a couple of things:

a) I don't understand how my analogy fails. A person who acts (breaks a window), or fails to act (doesn't return a cart to its corral or doesn't coil a cord), and causes unnecessary work for other people is not benefitting society. Society then must use its scarce labor to clean up the mess, labor that would better be used to build or create, not to repair, as Bastiat suggests.

2) Are you being facetious about your being the one who left the cord uncoiled, near me? There was no car there, and if you actually know that location from those pictures, it would be an unbelievable coincidence.

D) Are you gloved up, full time, now? If so, you would, around here, be an outlier of the extreme kind. The sort of whose opinion I would have a hard time taking seriously as it related to COVID risk being the cause for cord etiquette failures.

This was supposed to be a lighthearted thread about a personal pet peeve, but it's taken quite the weird turn.

11. Chicago

Chicago Member

I fly enough down to Texas, actually own a small ranch there, so I guess I am a fellow Texan, and run into F14Scotts every once in a while.

It is not their intent, it is their intelligence I find myself questioning.

The good thing for society is that they are a rare bird.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. F14Scott

bldxyz likes this.
  14. Lainey

Lainey Well-Known Member

When I was a child my sister intentionally locked me out of the house (being the mean older sister picking on the younger that she often was) while a friend was over. As I was loudly knocking on the door, a window pane broke. I had to work off the debt, not her. Never felt that was fair as she was intentionally taunting me and I had to use the bathroom. Fault often is put to blame poorly.

I'm sure that it is numerous people mucking it up. However I am with you, this irks me and I didn't even see it in person. I personally would be the one to try to fix it assuming I had time. Some people really do not think beyond themselves. It really does remind me of those awful "does this agitate you" pictures where something is off (either a lot or a little)

F14Scott likes this.
  15. chrunck

chrunck Well-Known Member

Back to the original post, I agree, people should pick up after themselves, but a lot of people don't seem to care too much about how their actions affect others these days...

16. Chicago

Chicago Member

Exactly, like refusing to wear masks when they are not fully vaccinated, and making fun of them when they don't appreciate it.

I feel like I am back in 7th grade. The bullies are ganging up on the dork. Savage is a terrible term anytime and especially as used in this post. Light-hearted hurtful speech is still hurtful esp when the poster finds it entertaining.

When someone objects, stop. I said I was offended and you three continue to pile it on. The answer to F14 is to design a better cord not to insult half the population.

I do apologize for insulting F14's intelligence, that was uncalled for, clearly any RIO is a cut above the rest of us in that department. F14 and Lainey talk about their anger issues, so I thought it was fair game. I apologize. I don't think of you as strangers, sorry if I gave that impression.

F14Scott likes this.
  17. ColdCase

ColdCase Active Member

Chaos vs predictable.... My daughter often says that I take things just a little seriously, like pulling up to tire filling station and the air hose is tangled and sometimes being miffed. She says its not meant to be offensive, but just in a hurry and kids now days have a chaos influenced mine set, so she says. They deal with chaos and the mess, no big deal, nothing personal.

But yeah, paying it ahead a bit, being considerate by leaving the hose neat is just a small thing I prefer. Take care of your stuff and it will take care of you longer. Others have adapted to the chaos and throw away mind set.

Last edited: May 17, 2021
    Lainey likes this.
  18. Lainey

Lainey Well-Known Member

First of all I'm not trying to gang up. Really and truly. Just saw a Yiddish word used wrong and they are near and dear to me. Was not trying to pick a fight. Sorry truly that it came across that way. I'm not a dork, but an obvious geek myself so I don't go around trying to bully. So accept my apologies that my intent was not clear to you.

Though really the story I shared was amusing to me. My sister tended to actually truly be a snot to me because that's what siblings do especially older to younger. She thought it was funny to watch stress out because I couldn't get inside. Mentality changed when the glass broke. I'm sure she was in trouble too as she was taunting me. Parents never shared what our punishments were, but she was in trouble too. It truly was something I laugh about now. Though we each suffered consequences from it. Which really is important

Agreed. Partially because you never know who might struggle if the cord is all tangled. I'm one who always fixed the twisted phone cord though so this is something I'd need to fix myself.

19. Chicago

Chicago Member

Agreed, but it is uncalled for to call them Animals/Savages, esp. during covid. (My wife has 75 staples in her abdomen and I really worry about infecting her by something I touch just before getting back in the car with her.)

How about retractable cords like vacuum cleaners or aviation self-service refueling hose installations?

20. Chicago

Chicago Member

and for the person who privately asked why I had her in the car with staples still in her... doctors nowadays will NOT tell you over the phone if the 40 pound tumor was malignant or benign... you have to meet them in person...

and if you have to ask why I was playing with/touching other people's mess on the way to the hospital, I am an idiot (but not a Savage and not an Animal.)

(it was benign)

21. Lainey

Lainey Well-Known Member

Glad it was benign, and sorry for her medical issues. Though a friend did just get a call about theirs. Odd how different places handle things.

Much like I am in the Pfizer-BioNTech trial. We were unblinded in January/February. Met someone in the trial whose spouse was in Moderna. Us Pfizer-BioNTech people were unblinded on the phone. Spouse was unblinded in March in person. Same thing different response. Was glad to know my status as early as I did.

I'll be honest, if someone has a reason not to fix, it's okay. But all the people before that were not in the right either. Savage is the opposite of civilized and I get the point, if we could be more civilized someone like you wouldn't be stuck with it either.

22. Chicago

Chicago Member

It was the hardest and longest drive in my entire life... still today with 150 holes healing up, it is scary...

Lainey likes this.
  23. F14Scott

It is definitely a cultural gap. I liken our generation and our children's to the (and I realize I'm leaping off another cliff, here, risking offence by making a generalization about two different, foreign cultures with which I am mildly familiar) Japanese and Chinese cultures, as they relate to "selfish" behavior.

The Japanese run their society based on everyone's assumption that citizens will operate in the group's best interests. They stand in line. They get out of the left lane. They are ultra polite and honest, deferring their own needs for the greater good. To the outsider, it seems extreme and unlike "our way." Similarly, the Chinese seem driven to get to the head of the line, to be the first on and off the subway, to take all the crab legs at the buffet. Within their culture, the maximum benefit is realized by everyone placing themselves first, understanding they all work within that framework.

I feel our own society is shifting from the "greater good" model to the "self first" model. Certainly, Karens and their ilk appear to be proliferating, but that may just be an artifact of everything getting recorded, these days.