Subaru Solterra announced as first all-electric for brand

Discussion in 'Solterra' started by Domenick, May 12, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Subaru has announced the Solterra will be its first all-electric vehicle.
    Here's how they introduce it:
    The next generation of Subaru SUV capability has a name: Solterra. The 2023 Subaru Solterra, which was named by combining the Latin words for “Sun” and “Earth,” is built on the e-Subaru Global Platform, a new all-electric vehicle architecture.

While Subaru refers to this platform as the e-Subaru Global Platform, it is thought to be the e-TNGA ( Electric-Toyota New Global Architecture). Subaru is now officially part of the Toyota Motor Group.

It is expected that the Solterra will share its powertrain and much of its structure with the Toyota bz4x.

Subaru Solterra tease.jpg

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Well, I certainly like the Subaru model name, Solterra better than Toyota's, bz4x.

4. Yes! And I'm also not a fan of the styling of the bztfzzztx (or whatever), so hoping Subaru design will be a significant improvement.

5. aamyotte

aamyotte Active Member

Domenik, I too hope the styling is better. I am waiting for the lease in my WRX to come due in 2023 to jump into electric. There will be too many choices by then.

Domenick likes this.
  6. Yeah, wish Toyota would get over those big gaudy front ends. Started with their Lexus and spread to the other models. Very ugly in my opinion. But I do like Toyota engineering competence and the reliability reputation of their cars.

Subaru has been hit and miss, some very reliable, some not. I have owned 4 Subaru's (currently have a 2018 Crosstrek,... great vehicle) all were good and went to very high mileage, and still running good when I got rid of them. But that was not the case with some models and years. So if they do come up with a decent off-road capable BEV, I will be very interested. Means I can get rid of my Crosstrek (pass it down in the family).

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. [​IMG]

Kind of has that Cybertruck look:cool:

9. This is what they originally were calling the e-Voltis. Thankfully, it looks like they've moved away from this styling. At least, it seems like it, judging by the new teaser at the top of the thread. I tried to lighten up the teaser for hints of what may be shrouded in the shadows, but there's nothing visible.

electriceddy likes this.
  10. More Solterra pics and info. Looks like it will follow in the footsteps of their current off-road capable SUVs. That niche is still open in the EV world.
    https://www.subaru.com/solterra-ev

electriceddy likes this.
  11. I wonder if there is any doubt they will be Panasonic battery packs, could they also be similar to the improved cells manufactured for Tesla:
    Tesla (TSLA) new 4680 battery cell to be produced by Panasonic, report says - Electrek
    Somehow, I doubt it, but Panasonic does have a good reliability record so far.

mho likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. 4680 is getting a little long in the tooth now. Given the Toyota engineering behind this, I suspect they will be a little more advanced.

14. Oh, that's interesting. Here's the main image enhanced with Photoshop AI, flipped and cropped.

Subaru-Solterra-enhanced.jpg