Can not see the appeal of the Kona Electric

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by miatadan, Apr 15, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. miatadan

miatadan Active Member Subscriber

At the local dealership in Sudbury, they had 2 Kona Electric Ultimate vehicles in stock. They were priced at $55300.70

Exterior was just okay for looks.
    Interior was the worst I ever seen in an electric vehicle.
    Dash itself ( gauge cluster ) was not nice looking.
    Cluttered look to it with roll of buttons under lcd screen/ AC vents , centre console total of 16 buttons and 2 knobs as well as shift buttons not done as well as the VW ID4 , Mach-E or clean looking interior of Tesla Model 3. Even lcd screen section way too many buttons ( 8 buttons, 2 knobs )

For the money they are asking you can get a Mustang Mach-E with an interior design that is modern and light years ahead of the Kona.

Like all electric vehicles, full torque from zero but not in the same league of Mach-E or Tesla Model 3 including SR+ RWD.

Can not find any area where the Kona electric does better than any of the competition at all.

Dan

Last edited: Apr 15, 2021
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. miatadan

But I am impressed with the minimalistic interior of the Ioniq 5 in comparison and exterior of the Ioniq 5 is the best I ever seen from Hyundia

4. Thanks for sharing. By all means let us know what other things in your life you find inferior and by all means start a new thread for each.

Jolee, PRGDénia, FlexTail and 11 others like this.
  5. miatadan

In Sudbury, for electric vehicles I have looked at the 2021 Chevy Bolt ( affordable but did not like exterior or interior )
    No Nissan Leaf's as local dealer does not want to sell electric, BMW dealership has the 2020 i3 on display but no 2021 models yet. ( like the it is RWD, nice interior and looks modern , BMW 330e plug-in is nice but not enough electric range )

I do like the Mustang Mach-E but does not get the $5000 EV rebate.

Always like the Tesla Model 3 and have driven it at one of Sudbury's EV Society meetings before Covid.

I do like the future Ioniq 5 but not know where pricing will be in future.

For me minimalistic interiors seem more futuristic and electric cars should not have the messy cluttered look of ICE cars in general.

6. Paul DeLeon

Paul DeLeon Active Member

I like my Kona. Everything is easy to reach. Everything works as it should. No menus 10 deep to find the defroster.
    300 Mile range.
    Just needs, a new battery.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. I thought I saw in another thread you already ordered a Mach-E. Why are you still talking about other cars if you have already made up your mind?

PRGDénia and XtsKonaTrooper like this.
  9. When I bought my Kona the only other EV on the market with anywhere close to the range was twice the price, the Model S. That was the "appeal" to me, little else mattered and the inclusion of the heat pump sealed the deal.

The selection is better nearly three years later but that's entirely expected.

10. miatadan

It is on order but will not see it until spring 2022, so yes I looked at other electric vehicles, and compared them to the Mach-E.

Maybe I should has just ask, what was it about the Kona, that it was chosen over other electric vehicles such as the Tesla Model 3, BMW i3, Leaf etc

In Canada there is good choice of electic vehicles that the $5000 EV credits can be used in 2021:

2021 BMW i3
    2021 BMW 330e $2500
    2022 Chevrolet Bolt EUV
    2022 Chevrolet Bolt
    2021 Honda Clarity
    2021 Hyundai Ioniq electric & Kona Electric
    2021 Kia Niro EV
    2022 Mini Cooper SE
    2021 Nissan Leaf
    2021 VW ID4 pro
    2021 Tesla Model 3

all of these have a $44950 price available

Last edited: Apr 15, 2021
    turtleturtle likes this.
  11. Pretty simple, some of those models didn't exist 2 years ago, and those that did, none appealed to me or met my needs. And I still wouldn't choose any of them (2021s) today.

My son owns a Tesla M3, and he was the one that recommended the Kona. Right now, I am happy with my choice. and once we get the new battery, it will be like a new car again. The Kona kind of grew on me (and my wife). Like it more now than when we first got it.

Having said that, I may like some others out there right now, too, or coming. I don't know enough about the Mach E to say whether I would like it or not. But so far, don't see anything wrong with it. I would have to see one in person and take it for a test drive before I could give a meaningful opinion.

I will be very interested to see what Toyota/Subaru come up with for their first BEV vehicle. In the mean time, we'll continue to enjoy our Kona.

PRGDénia and XtsKonaTrooper like this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Tomek

Tomek Active Member

Well, I share some of these reservations with the author of the thread, but when Kona entered the market, and especially when the manufacturer made design decisions, he was actually almost a lone wolf in the bosom of wild and untamed nature. A few years later, everything changed, so Hyundai and Kia will not continue the Kona line, but jump on a taller charger from the Ioniq 5 and EV. And in the segment occupied by Kona and eNiro, they will soon show more competitive successors. Nevertheless, the Kona still performs great as one of the first fully practical and energy-efficient electric cars. And that the passage of time strongly influenced his image? This is life.

14. Ed C

Ed C Active Member

Frankly my dear, I don't really give a Dan what you like or don't like.

I am not here to convince anyone which car to buy....you have a brain, so decide for yourself instead of relying on other people to make decisions for you.

Only you know what's in your budget. Only you knows what kind of style you like.

I would recommend you to buy a Lucid Air....but I am not sure if you can afford it.

15. MSimpsonNJ

MSimpsonNJ Active Member

This.
    upload_2021-4-16_5-45-49.jpeg

Attached Files:

PRGDénia, FlexTail, nigels and 5 others like this.
  16. FYI Honda Clarity and BMW 300e are plugin hybrids are not comparable BEVs. I am assuming you know the Kona EV also comes in a sub $45,000 version. Keeping mind the Kona was introduced nearly 4 years ago and honestly it still represents one of the most efficient EVs and is one of the best range for dollar EVs you can buy in North America. Nonetheless, best of luck with your Mach e.

17. But it has knobs and buttons. KNOBS and BUTTONS!!! Won't someone please think of the children!

PRGDénia, Clamps and XtsKonaTrooper like this.
  18. I know its crazy. I am not sure what I was thinking when I bought my car. I think I need to hang out at the Mach E forum to make myself whole again :)

PRGDénia likes this.
  19. I don't disagree with you much. I bought a Kona Ultimate almost reluctantly last year. It's a very nice, average looking car (the refresh is far more to my liking, I would even say striking). The interior is average and uninspired but highly functional. It's not really fun to drive but the torque is a hoot. It's feature packed though and I prefer small cars so I chose it over a Model 3 for size and a Bolt for features. Where the Kona really shines is efficiency, that's where it beats it's competition. It's not even a ground up EV and is equally efficient to a Model 3 and way more efficient than a Mach E and almost all others. And of course it's relentlessly practical as a hatchback.

I will never be passionate about the Kona and if I were a car guy I would have passed and looked for something with more appeal. However, it's just such a great piece of EV engineering that it's hard not to be amazed at what Hyundai built.

R P's quote below is spot on for me.

PRGDénia, arhnold and FinYang like this.
  20. Pobre

Pobre Member

2 years ago, I was deciding between model 3, ENiro and/or wait for the Y to come out... I personally end up getting the Kona EV (2019 model) because of the Battery warranty, well at least here in the US. but Like Miatadan had mentioned, there are many other EV cars that is now more appealing than the Kona. I personally see the Kona as Too small and would have wished Hyundai Electrified the Santa Fe instead. Buttons and knobs are not the deciding factor in my case as I personally prefer to have a few of them easily accessed.

the bottom line is, without the unbeatable warranty (which they no longer offer anymore) and If I am to choose an electric car right now, I would be getting a different car.

21. FloridaSun

FloridaSun Well-Known Member

I was in the same situation in 2019. If Model Y would have been out at the time, I probably would have gone with it but the Kona has been fantastic for the last 22 months. I do have the Model Y on order and will sell the Kona after the battery recall. The Y is clearly the Superior car but at a significantly higher price. After tax, I'm paying US$ 57000 for the Y. I ended up paying (after tax credit and sales tax) just under US$ 31000 for the Kona SEL...So, I'm paying US$26k more for the Y.. I would have never considered the Ultimate for the additional US$ 10k.. Sure, adaptive cruise control and leather are nice but not $10k nice.

22. miatadan

I was just asking a question here. Was not trying to offend. Just a lot of options now... Realize now so have worded it differently. Should of ask what the pros were over the other EV vehicles available in similar pricing.

2021 BMW i3
    2022 Chevrolet Bolt EUV
    2022 Chevrolet Bolt
    2021 Hyundai Ioniq electric & Kona Electric
    2021 Kia Niro EV
    2022 Mazda MX30
    2022 Mini Cooper SE
    2021 Nissan Leaf
    2021 VW ID4 pro
    2021 Tesla Model 3

23. From that list the mini, mazda, ioniq and bmw have significantly smaller batteries, much lower range so not really directly comparable. The bolt has a comparable range but too bad about the cheap torsion beam rear suspension , otherwise very decent choice. The Niro is a little bigger but effectively the same drivetrain as Kona which is great. In a similar vein I would also include Kia Soul EV not your list as a comparable. Nissan Leaf has a similar range but too bad about their continued insistence on battery air cooling, still issues with heat on long highway drives and DC charging. Model 3 LR range is more comparable to the Kona when it comes to range, very good cars, very good charging infrastructure but now we are talking about much more coin for the larger battery. ID4 is bigger and more comparable to Model Y and perhaps Ioniq 5. Very nice looking car but I have some reservations with their software troubles. I would personally wait a model year or so for them to figure it out. Mach E numbers and stats look great and the only reason it would not be for me is my soured experience with ford quality in past owned vehicles. Hopefully they are past that.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2021
    XtsKonaTrooper likes this.