New Car Charging

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Silver Surfer, Apr 12, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer Member

I have a two day old Clarity. Great car overall. It has been charged three times. My charge is saying 43 miles of range in the morning. Currently, it’s been on the 110V charger twice and on a level 2 charger once. The temp has been mid-50°F. Shouldn’t the range be showing 47 miles especially for a brand new car?

Thanks in advance for helping this newbie out.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. The displayed range estimate is just an estimate. It is based in the past few previous drives. If you drive in slow traffic for a few days it may show an estimate in the mid-50’s or even 60’s. If you drive 80mph for several days it may show 35-40.

It could show 55 miles and you may only get 42 miles, or it may show 40 miles and you could get 52 miles. Basically, it can’t estimate how many miles you will get, unless you drive in a consistent manner.

Did the dealer provide you with a pre-delivery report that shows the capacity of the traction battery?

4. Great response Landshark.

5. JFon101231

JFon101231 Active Member

One other thing to note, besides driving habits as noted above, for me in New England I usually see best range closer to around 65-80*F where the battery is most efficient and I'm not using HVAC or seat heaters/windows down.

6. jdonalds

jdonalds Well-Known Member

Your estimated will vary from day to day. As said already the previous trips are used to calculate an estimate. Go to the same place day after day and don't vary your route it will somewhat stabilize. But the ambient temperature during a charge cycle will cause the estimate to vary. Take a slightly different route, or vary your speed, even if it the fault of traffic, and the estimate will vary. Have more people in the car or carry a load and the range again can vary. Have the AC on, heat on, etc will also have an effect.

We bought our second Clarity in October 2020. Only this week, with warming temperatures, did we finally see the first over 50 miles of estimated range.

Enjoy the car. There isn't another car on the market that suits our family as well as the Clarity.

JFon101231 likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. 2C75DB98-41C7-4295-8E7D-307BFA9A1D9D.jpeg And, if you go down a long mountain road you can get an EV estimate like this.

Dr. Kris and Richard_arch74 like this.
  9. Groves Cooke

Groves Cooke Active Member

Like others have said, just an estimate based on your driving habits. High speed and uphill climbs kill the range.

10. TomL

TomL Active Member

@SilverSurfer, hope you like your Clarity as much as I do after 2 years and 36,000 miles. FYI, with the temperature returning to the 70's here in Wisconsin my EV estimate dramatically jumped up to 50 but as the best among us are willing to admit, I drive like an old lady.