Recall 200

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by FloridaSun, Mar 9, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Well-Known Member

I just looked up my VIN on the recall site and it tells me there are no recalls for my car. Does that mean I won't be affected? Or just that available info is incomplete? I did get the last battery recall last year, so I've been expecting to be included in this one.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. doggyworld

doggyworld Active Member

Well.. I got the email saying they would change my limit to 80%. However, I kind of need 90% otherwise it's cutting it too close to my range. Can I change it back to 90% after they've set it to 80%? Or you think that would void my warranty if anything were to happen?

Also.. it's not exactly possible to park outside as the charger is in my garage.

They also only offered $200 gift card.. I thought it was supposed to be $250!

Last edited: Apr 5, 2021
    electriceddy likes this.
  4. ttsherpa

ttsherpa New Member

Good question I was wondering, when and if the same email is received here in Europe.
    I seldom charge over 80%. Never in DC and in AC only when in a longer trip. But what are they exactly doing when they "limit" to 80%? And do you break anything if you need 90% once a month?

5. I think many of us are on that "range edge" where 80% is either not possible or way too close for comfort. That's one of the main reasons I purchased the Kona...for the range. I checked my Hyundai App and it only lists recalls that I've already had done. However I got a phone call from my local dealer asking me to bring my car in for THREE new recalls (including the one to adjust max charge to 80%)! None of them are listed on the App.

6. Could you identify where you're from and what app you're referring to, please? I'm in Canada and the only app I'm aware of is Bluelink and I have never seen recalls listed there or even any place for recalls to be listed. Thanks.

XtsKonaTrooper likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. I'm in Massachusetts, and I'm speaking about the Bluelink App MyHyundai. It has an email icon in the top menu (iPhone) that indicates unread email. Of course reading the messages does NOTHING to change the icon. It remains in place because the App is lame. I have two recall notices showing in their email and have already had both of them done, but they keep reminding me to schedule an appt!

Clamps, HepKona and Toolworker like this.
  9. The recalls they called me about are as follows:

Requested Services:

• SETTING MAX. CHARGE TO 80% (21-01-027H)
    • 00D036R0 - In-Cable Protection Cover(21-01-013H)
    • 00D111R1 - KONA EV VCULDC SOFTWARE UPDT(21-01-019H)

10. The Canadian Bluelink app has a notifications section you can click on but the only ones I have ever received are Bluelink maintenance notices. Never anything from Hyundai regarding recalls or service bulletins.

11. My thoughts are this; once the car has been set to the new "temporary 80% maximum charge limit" and you have acknowledged this safety feature by receiving the $200 payola, than Hyundai is releasing any indemnity caused if the owner decides to change this resolution and exceed set 80% limit even if it is still possible via the cars software settings. You may still be provided a new battery, but any damage including the car going up in flames or worse may not be compensated.
    For argument sake, it is of course best to have the limit changed and not be able to exceed that limit with the cars software by the operator/owner.
    Personally I am glad I made my decision back in October to purchase a model out of the recall dates and not to become involved as I could foresee this happening given some of the Korean reports at the time and the class action lawsuit following. I view the access trade in value I received at that time (78% MSRP) was my portion of any future compensation paid up front.;)

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. You may be correct but if having the battery software work done actually did indemnify Hyundai the legal language would need to be available and obvious to the owner in advance of doing the work. If it wasn't then there would be no indemnity. Read your correspondence and work orders closely and don't sign off on anything you don't agree with or don't understand.

electriceddy likes this.
  14. Well, so far I have not been notified of cutting the charge to 80%. I have not received anything in the mail, email or bluelink, just the website VIN look-up, and it does not give a percentage. When I called the dealer before, it was not mandatory that I bring in the car, and said I could change it myself to 90%. So I will stick with that. In reality, most of my charging is to below 80%.

15. Yup pretty much same, no notification from Hyundai or my dealer. Despite some pointed questions they are actually quite silent about the matter. I typically only charge to 80% but still need to charge to 100% periodically for work related travel although its less often now that its warmer. Until Hyundai tells me otherwise I am not particularly worried as I have 100% new car replacement insurance coverage for another 9 months. If guidance comes to limit charge to 80% after that, it is going to be very problematic loosing 60-100km of range going into the winter. $200 wouldn't even come close to compensating me. I pretty much would have to switch to an ICE vehicle as the loss of 20% charge will not get me home from many of my work obligations especially if you consider the general absence of a decent DC charger infrastructure in my province.

BaylorBob and XtsKonaTrooper like this.
  16. BaylorBob

BaylorBob Active Member

I don't know where the Dealer who told RP the car battery charging level should be set to 90% got his Misinformation. I read the full Notice and Hyundai wants us to immediately set our Battery Charging Level to 80% (Eighty) for both the AC and the DC Charging Port. And if you don't do it Hyundai will do it through your BlueLink Connection "within the next week" which means before April 9th or 10th since the notice was dated April 2, 2021. Then to compensate you for your 20% Loss in Battery Capacity you must take your car to a Hyundai Dealer where the notice states: "Once Verified at the Dealership you will receive a $200 gift card due to the inconvenience of reduction of range. Please provide the dealer with a valid email address and allow 10 business days for processing".

I don't know about you but I bought my Hyundai Kona EV for the Range it was getting (Picked up at my dealer with 325 on it which I knew the car had before I drove it off the Lot.). Of course we all know that the car Sticker says the Range is 258 Miles but as most on this forum know we have been getting 300 or more miles per charge. In fact if you followed my postings on this forum I signed up to find answers as to why I was getting 325 miles per charge consistently from the day I picked up my car on December 12, 2019, which dropped to 296 miles after the dealer did the 1st and 2nd battery updates. Unfortunately the highest mileage I ever got back to was only 311 to 315. Others on this forum said they were getting 360 or more AFTER the original battery software updates! (I wish I had their tech).

But here is my real fear. My car seems to be stuck at 311 for the past 3 charges. A 20% Reduction off of 311 gives me a range of 248, ten (10) miles Less than the cars 258 Sticker rating. Supposing the New Batteries they install only give us 258 and never go higher. If I was still getting the 325 that I originally got, a 20% reduction would bring me down to 260 miles. But what about the owners who never got above 258 in the first place or who maybe were getting 275 to 280 (I presume there are some). A 20% reduction for these owners who only got 258 would bring them down to only 206 miles with the new batteries. Does Hyundai really think we are going to be happy owners and accept a $200 gift card for such a loss of mileage down to 258 or even lower? The extra electricity cost would eat that $200 up in a few months for some of you, especially if you don't have your own home charger. On the other hand (trying to put a positive spin on it) maybe the new batteries will give us 325, or 350, or 375! Wouldn't that be nice! But we won't know about this until the new batteries are installed and we start talking about it on this forum. By the way the Hyundai Notice says not to charge your battery near structures (assuming they mean your home or garage) until you have lowered your settings to 80%.

XtsKonaTrooper likes this.
  17. XtsKonaTrooper

XtsKonaTrooper Well-Known Member

Well $200 compensation is a joke and I bought it for the range.
    I've gotten nothing in the mail advising me of a 80% range setting and as far as their concerned I don't read the news. My dealer isn't even in a hurry to do any of the recalls as he wants to wait till the charge cover adapter comes in.

syntaxfx likes this.
  18. FloridaSun

FloridaSun Well-Known Member

So, has anyone received the gift card yet?? Still wondering if it's just a gift card for Hyundai parts/service or if it's actually something that I can use?

19. I am in Canada, and our website recall notice does not mention 80%.

20. doggyworld

doggyworld Active Member

I think the 80% I'm OK with up until the winter time when I think I need 90% charge. If they haven't figured out how to swap out most of our batteries by then, I'm thinking they should be able to give a deep discount on trading in our Kona EV's for a newer model or maybe the Ioniq version that's supposed to be similar.

21. Every country's Hyundai importer will formulate their own policy. Australia and New Zealand are both recommending 90% max SoC for the interim and neither have yet implemented a formal recall. In about a year I'll be back to 100% with a new battery which will vastly improve resale value.

syntaxfx and R P like this.
  22. greinstein

greinstein New Member

Stopped by my local Hyundai dealer (Norm Reeves in Cerritos, CA) for the 80% verification and their first response was ???. They looked up my car and said there were 4 outstanding recalls since I brought my car in for #199 in Feb, and they could not verify the 80% without doing the recalls. Also, they did not have the parts for one of them, a charger handle ???. The end result is 2 weeks + for the parts.
    I like my Kona, but this is getting ridiculous.

Ronny likes this.
  23. Parts? Charger handle? What the heck is that all about? And somebody else mentioned a charger door recall or service bulletin?