Porsche Taycan Charging: Everything You Need To Know

Discussion in 'Porsche Taycan' started by Tom Moloughney, Feb 6, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

Tags:
  1. Tom Moloughney

Tom Moloughney InsideEVs Staff Subscriber

Hello everyone. We just posted an in-depth Taycan charging video. It's loooong - and has a lot of basic charging points explained so the more experienced EV drivers may want to skip ahead which is why we included a bunch of timestamps to specific topics. We hope you find it useful.

https://insideevs.com/news/486327/how-to-charge-porsche-taycan-review/

Sep likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. kort

kort New Member

In my very limited experience with my new 2021 taycan 4s the charging with Electrify America has not been very good.
    in four visits to an EA charger I have only been able to initiate a charging session once without assistance from the EA help line.
    one time we could not get the car to charge at 8 different units and I was lucky to find a greenlots unit close by where I was able to charge the car albeit slowly on a 50kw unit.
    the plug and charge system has not worked for me and the cumbersome apps interface is clunky. as an after thought I believe it was a misconfiguration on my porsche connect app that caused the charging failure. nonetheless the system is not close to being as reliable as the tesla superchargers are. in about 7 years of owning teslas I never had a fail to charge incident.
    Btw I enjoyed your video that covered the home charger porsche delivers with the car.

4. Tom Moloughney

Tom Moloughney InsideEVs Staff Subscriber

Thank you. Yes, Electrify America still has some bugs to iron out, as there is an uneven user experience based on which station you visit. The stations that I typically use in New Jersey are pretty reliable now, and I only rarely have an issue. However, I do hear similar reports as yours so I know they still have a way to go to improve the user experience. Hang in there, it will get better.

5. Sep

Sep New Member

Hi
    Thank you for the depth review it's very useful for me
    But I can't get two things:
    1. Should I order 19.2 kW On-Board AC Charger?
    2. Do I need Mobile Charger Connect or the regular Mobile Charger is enough or better to consider buying a third party charger instead?

6. 19DF506F-44C3-4A31-8A95-23718E2E14A1.jpeg I pulled up to this EA charging station a few weeks ago in Las Vegas, there was a Porsche there and another one pulled up as I was initiating my charging session. The two owners were talking about charging, I wasn’t paying close attention to their conversation but they didn’t seem to be complaining about it. By the time I got back with my takeout lunch, one had left and another was still charging.

looking at PlugShare checkins at that location , seems Taycans are able to charge at 100+ kW half the time. With a lot of owners oblivious to internal charge management constraints, that doesn’t seem like people are having consistently a hard time.

7. To remove this ad click here.