Has software update reduced your Kona Electric range?

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Domenick, Aug 5, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. 2019 Kona Ultimate. On a trip from New York to Florida December of 2019 I used 265 kws. After two BMS updates my same trip December 2020 I used 256 kws. So I actually used 9 kws less after the updates.

On a 1200 mile trip like that, there are just so many variables from outside air temperature, highway speed changes and so on.

So in summary, I have not really seen any loss of range at this point. The GOM does act quite funky trying to calculate it but that's always going to be like that. I usually just base my range on the state of charge left (percentage) and the average miles per kilowatt shown.

Bill Carter and KiwiME like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. BaylorBob

BaylorBob Active Member

That is astonishing. I haven't seen EV Mileage like this before, ever. I'm still trying to get back up to 325. I am posting a longer reply today. I think it is on this forum. It has to do with Hyundai replacing every battery in every Kona EV due to fires. I started it earlier today but I went back to read all my previous posts and replies, when I saw this post by you. If I complain to the Hyundai Dealer or to Hyundai America they say read your manual and the sticker on your car window. It says the car is rated at 258 so what am I complaining about.

4. XtsKonaTrooper

XtsKonaTrooper Well-Known Member

I know after I got the update, my average range went down. Now lately , my charger will stop charging the car. If I unplug it and plug it back in, usually it starts charging again.
    I'm not liking these recalls. As much as I like the Kona, if I can figure out a way to get rid of it without much of a loss, I will either get a Ioniq5 or a Tesla.

5. Tim94549

Tim94549 Active Member

Yep - 325 miles is astonishing.. The most I ever got at 100% was 311 miles. I charge to 80% like 99% of the time though. And I definitely have seen a drop in my GOM since the BMS recall(s). I was averaging 230-234 miles every charge at 80% before the BMS updates - I'm now getting 209-211 pretty consistently. I also have a OBD Dongle and monitor my cell amps. they are all within .02v of each other. And my last 100% Charge I got 290 miles GOM. This was the day after I had the FEB 2021 recall done - just as a test.

6. Aren't you guys being a little panicky and short sighted? There have definitely been some new model/technology issues with this car. But if they are fixed, incl with this battery recall, why would you want to sell it now? I see it a little differently. With the just announced battery recall, I can see that increasing the resale value of this car. That's basically setting the odometer back to zero. And the longer it takes them to do it, the better.

As for all the recalls and fixes (incl the tapping issue), I have had them all, and never an issue incl with the dealer screwing up, or a long wait time (never more than a day). And no loss of range either. Mine is still as good as ever.

So at this time, I am quite happy with how my car is performing, and selling or trading it in, is the furthest from my mind. Of course, there are always new models coming out to tempt us. But nothing yet, that would compel me to want to trade out. The Kona range is still good compared to all the new ones I have seen so far.

Clamps, Fastnf, electriceddy and 5 others like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. XtsKonaTrooper

You do make a good point about, how long it will take for them to replace the battery.
    I just hope once they replace the battery, there are no longer battery issues.

R P likes this.
  9. I agree. I've had my motor replaced due to the tapping noise. The dealer was great about it and they resolved it fairly quickly with little inconvenience to me. I expect the same for the battery. Although I'm driving a fraction of the time I did pre-pandemic, I'm still very happy with the car, it's range and its performance.

10. I'll add another positive vote. With over 9,000 miles on my year old Kona, I have had none of the motor or reduction gear issues that some on the forum have had (at least not yet;-). I certainly have seen a significant reduction in efficiency which I attribute to sticky snow tires and the Maine cold, and look forward to getting the LRR tires back on and warmer months. Only then will I have a better sense as to whether the two earlier battery tweaks have affected efficiency. In the dead of winter it's too early to know.

KiwiME, Fastnf, electriceddy and 3 others like this.
  11. I'm on the same page. Love the car as much as on the first day.
    No signs of any range loss at all even after updates. The Ioniq 5 is tempting, but I think it might be less efficient. The 300 mile take is with a 70+ kWh battery. So it might be a wash.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Tomek

Tomek Active Member

So far, I do not see a car on the market that would be a newer or less problematic replacement for Kona, eNiro or eSoul (each in its segment). Ioniq 5 is a bigger and more expensive car. Therefore, if someone already has Kona, if he likes it and has no major problems like a brick, he should probably wait for the battery to be replaced. Well, unless it has leasing and can easily change it to a newer, even more expensive model without losing too much.

Esprit1st and Wildeyed like this.
  14. BaylorBob

BaylorBob Active Member

Since August 2020 when I first started posting that my mileage dropped from the 320-325 range to under 300 I have now charged my car at least another 10 to 15 times (about once every 3 weeks) and my mileage has slowly climbed to 316 miles as of this morning. My last two prior charges were 315 miles each. So, I think this car has reached its plateau and will never go any higher. If I get the new battery update what can I expect? Has anyone that received the new battery update had experience with a change in mileage from what they had Before getting the New Battery and what it was After getting the new battery? If so, please let me know. Thanks

Domenick likes this.
  15. GeorgeS

GeorgeS Active Member

This mileage increase is typical of summer temperatures. Warm temperatures allow the batteries to function better. Mine is going up as it had last summer too. It also goes down with cold temperatures.

16. I gained 10km (on 80%charge) just this past week when daytime temperatures went from 10°C to 15°C. Being my third summer with the car I fully expect to gain between 50 and 100km more.

XtsKonaTrooper and navguy12 like this.
  17. XtsKonaTrooper

Took a 450km return trip today, when I first stopped to charge at petro can , to have enuf to get back to charger, topped back up to 80% it peaked at 51kw charging.
    On way back, hit charger to get me enuf to get home, peaked charging at 73kw.
    Normally this time of year leaving with full charge , I would only need to charge for about 5bux on the road...today cuz of that 80% crap, had to stop twice for charges and basically cost me 19bux..

navguy12 and electriceddy like this.
  18. Keep a record of extra charge costs, then bill Hyundai, and if it exceeds the reported $200 voucher charge them double (your personal time is worth a lot more);)

mho and XtsKonaTrooper like this.
  19. XtsKonaTrooper

Yeah if only it worked that way in Canada, we basically get screwed with recall stuff cuz transport Canada is in the bed with car mfgs.
    I keep getting pissed with this battery replacement stuff and no solid remedies from Hyundai Canada, ill get their attention with "Kovid Kona" signs plastered all over it.
    I bought this vehicle to basically save money and here I am having to charge on the road at crazy prices or take my ice vehicle which defeats the purpose of having the electric vehicle.

navguy12 likes this.
  20. Aren't you taking advantage of the free Petro Canada charging with the RBC card? Just waiting to get mine...

XtsKonaTrooper likes this.
  21. XtsKonaTrooper

Definitely, I put the charges on the card and we will see , when my bill cycle rolls over, that they credit me. Yesterday was a trial run of the card, cuz since this 80% stuff, I've been using the ice vehicle and that prolly costs me $30 in gas. I did the same run in the Kona in January but because it was colder, it prolly took about the same and I was charging to 100%. I also got freaked out, cuz I was at a Flo charger and had to reconnect the cable 3 times because the station kept giving an error about the cable at which point I thought I was gonna have to get towed.
    I guess one of my points is, I buy a new car for dependability and at this point the Kona is not providing that. Don't get me wrong I love driving the Kona and is great value for the buck but driving it, creates a sense of paranoia and I'm not happy about that.

22. I just received the latest batch of updates today. When I dropped the car off my battery was at 78% and I was showing 205 miles to empty. When I picked the car up it had been driven 1 mile or less, the battery was still at 78% but the range increased to 222 miles.

23. Aside from following the recommendations to keep the battery at 80% unless I absolutely need to go higher, I haven't noticed a big difference in range since the updates.