Ioniq 5 - a Kona EV replacement?

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Lars, Feb 24, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. To remove this ad click here.

2. persianrider

persianrider Member

Same boat here

2021 we bought last June ...

Told my wife the exact same thing today. Although I doubt the 5 will qualify for the 13k discount we got with Quebec and Canada ...

3. Well, there will be a spring Budget from a federal government with lot's of environment friendly ideas. :)

4. By the time one would be available for CDNs, there will be lots of beneficial European real time reviews and forum owners input information (The good news and the not so good). In the meantime, Canada ZEV program would have be revamped to include models up to $80,000 (~ 45,000 pounds in the U.K.) and ditch the base trim $45K clause. Actually not a bad idea as range can go to half as shown by apu's posts in severe Canadian winter conditions, and with our unreliable charging network needed just when the range reduction could be a safety/health issue.;)

Last edited: Feb 24, 2021
    Lars likes this.
  5. Tomek

Tomek Active Member

No, the Ioniq 5 is not a successor to the Kona, it's a different segment. A car with a wheelbase of 3 m and a length of 4.7 m, huge inside, definitely attacks the positions of Tesla, VW Id.4 and Mustang. The successor of Kona on the same platform as Ioniq 5 is still being built, the prototype of the new Kia Niro is already running (but it is not known whether also eNiro). Even the prices of the Ioniq 5 will be correspondingly higher than the Kona.

6. To remove this ad click here.

7. I would not second guess myself as there will always be "something better". I am sure Hyundai has learned a lot from the benefit of our beta testing, that said I would not buy another new model from them unless it was at least 2-3 model years old. Probably the better buy from a reliability perspective will be 2022 Kona. It will probably be just about perfect by then.

Lars likes this.
  8. Given all the bad press, I would not be surprised if Hyundai stopped making the Kona.

9. My wife had the same concern last August. I told her that Hyundai makes Kona EVs for a few years now. And see where my trust get me with my 2021.:(

10. Hey, if we get a brand new battery out of this, and the rest of the car is good now, I'll be happy!!

11. To remove this ad click here.

12. Kevin Nguyen

Kevin Nguyen Member

Ioniq 5 has the first 800V EV system right?

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

13. First for Hyundai, Porsche Taycan would be the first on the market, Rivian and GM are also indicating they will have 800v batteries/charging

14. XtsKonaTrooper

XtsKonaTrooper Well-Known Member

If they gave me a good trade in on my Kona, I'd definitely grab an Ioniq5. As much as I like the Kona, I like the looks and size of the Ioniq5.

15. Kevin Nguyen

Kevin Nguyen Member

Just test drove a model 3 s+ yesterday. I can tell much quiet than my Kona. It does not have the hissing noise at low speed . The seat is a little bit smaller and kind of weird when sit in it. Much prefer my kona lether seat

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

XtsKonaTrooper likes this.
  16. E-Shark

E-Shark Active Member

I think I agree with you

17. E-Shark

E-Shark Active Member

18. I was a little disappointed in the ground clearance, only 6.2", same as the Kona. That is not very good for a CUV. We have a rough road to our cabin, so need more clearance.

19. XtsKonaTrooper

I've got that opinion too. I look at it, that I got an extra 2yrs out of the battery.
    I sure hope I'm getting loaner while they replace the battery.

20. Oh, I think you will get more than extra 2 years out of your original battery. I suspect this recall will take some considerable time to complete. Look at the Takata airbag recall which is in currently into year 8. Much higher numbers for sure but in the end probably similar logistical complexity.

R P likes this.
  21. XtsKonaTrooper

Yeah, very true its gonna take them quite awhile to do this.
    I also think, what sux, if a person was thinking of trading in, its gonna be reflected on trade in value.