Big differences in resale values

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by TheLight75, Feb 18, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. TheLight75

TheLight75 Active Member

For those who might be looking to sell their Kona EVs, I discovered over the last few months that there are wildly different values out for our Kona’s depending on where you try to shop your Kona EV. As I was approaching the max miles on my 3-year lease, I decided it was prudent to determine my options.

2019 Kona EV Ultimate ($45k orig price):
    Buyout with HMF ($12k trade-in): $23,700

Carvana wasn’t interested.
    Carmax was the worst offer at $18,000.
    AutoLendersGo came in at $24,100.
    Vroom topped things out at $27,700.

Quite the range out there depending on where you look.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Kevin Nguyen

Kevin Nguyen Member

I’m looking for another car , since mine has a fail battery. Trade in value for my limited is ~23k . Vroom has the best deal at 27k. I think because most people will buy a brand new with a offset tax credit will take value down to a used one.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

4. FloridaSun

FloridaSun Well-Known Member

Carvana has used Kona EV's. The only SEL they have is $27990.. So, I'd think that if I'd offer my car privately for $23k to $24k, I should be able to find a buyer.. Of course, trade in is always a few grand lower.. I wouldn't trade in my car unless they would give me decent money for it.. As the only other option for me is Tesla, I wonder if anyone every traded in a Kona for a Tesla and how much they got?

5. Kevin Nguyen

Kevin Nguyen Member

Got a quote to trade my limited for model 3 @ 22k flat. Brand new limited is 43k

6. When I traded in 2019 model for my 2021 (same trim - Oct 20), I received ~78% MSRP back, converts to $33K USD. The high trade in resulted in minimal sales tax on the new model as well.:)
    Cdn black book value today would be ~ $30 USD on the 2019 model
    Kona EV still holding respectable trade in (and resale) value despite incentives up to $5K Fed gov ( once per calendar year), $3K B.C. Provincial gov (one time) cash rebates and B.C. "scrap it program" an additional $6K (new) or $3K (used purchase).

Last edited: Feb 19, 2021
    mho, BC-Doc and TheLight75 like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Kevin Nguyen

Kevin Nguyen Member

I know Hyundai is good at trade in. Last time they took blue book value for my trade in. They even give more if you trade in your own Hyundai.

9. Konasu

Konasu New Member

Why sell a 2019 Kona? It has a lifetime warranty on the battery for the original owner.

Lars, Mattsburgh and R P like this.
  10. That's my thinking. Not sure I'll ever sell mine. I've always wondered though, is the lifetime warranty only on the FIRST battery?

11. FloridaSun

FloridaSun Well-Known Member

For me, the only reason is the charging network and lack of chargers in an area that I want to drive to.. I love the Kona but we have family in South Texas which unfortunately has no Level 3 chargers.. Only way to get there is to drive 100 mile extra. (There is a 20kw charger at Harley Davidson in Corpus Christi but it's the worlds most expensive charger.. A 40kw charge costs about $135.. No kidding!!!. Then I'll arrive with close to zero battery and no Level 3 chargers at my destination (McAllen). With Tesla, there are 2 Superchargers between Houston and McAllen, so it's easy to make it without going out of the way.. Anyways, I'm going to stay with the Kona for a while unless the tax credit returns for Tesla.. There is a bill in Congress that would bring back a $7000 credit for Tesla until they hit 600,000 cars sold.. Once that tax credit is in place, there will be VERY LITTLE time to act as Teslas sell fast and they will hit 600,000 in no time.. So, the moment that the bill passes, I will order a Model Y Long Range.. In case that the bill does NOT pass, I'll keep the Kona for at least 2 - 3 more years.. I would really prefer to trade in my wife's BMW i3 and keep the Kona for her but she loves her i3 and does not want the Kona for her... not because how it drives but because it's not a BMW and it's not a "cute" as her BMW...

electriceddy likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. TheLight75

TheLight75 Active Member

Because at the end of its lease, it will be worth less than the buyout value and will end costing me $4k in excess miles at lease end. It also helps that I am making a $4k profit by selling it now. It’s been a fun little car, that’s for sure.

electriceddy likes this.
  14. I don't blame you, according to this a Model Y LR AWD would come in at a measly $43,190. Less a decent Kona EV trade in value and that equals peanuts for supercharger access.
    https://insideevs.com/features/490726/tesla-gm-ev-tax-credits-renewed-simulation/
    Of course you may have to change the picture in your profile, minor inconvenience:)

15. Hey Kevin,
    Did you look into alternatives such as private sale before deciding to go with a trade-in for a '21? I'm looking at what the most cost-effective option might be to get into an IONIQ 5.

16. Kevin Nguyen

Kevin Nguyen Member

No I just look over Blue book value. Private sell would be 30k for my limited. I would sell go vroom for 27.5 k without any hassle. Trade in value is only 22k for many quote that I requested.