Trailer hitch for Niro EV?

Discussion in 'Kia Niro' started by MLB, Jun 21, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Vincent Greene

Vincent Greene New Member

IMG_20200312_131316983.jpg I installed the Curt 13329. Rather than extending the holes I filled existing holes, then drilled new ones. Re-installed aero panel with minimal modification.

Ecobrap likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Derede Arthur

Derede Arthur New Member

LOVE your videos, Matt! Thank you for sharing this with all of us!

4. Texas Niro EV

Texas Niro EV Active Member

I know this is now an old thread but I came across something in the owners manual that I thought people interested in towing with the Niro EV might be interested in. Page 6-122 of the 2019 Niro EV owners manual states that towing is not recommended for the Niro EV but page 8-11 owners manual specifically lists additional maintenance requirements if the vehicle is used for towing a trailer. So, even though Kia does not recommend towing with the Niro EV, they do expect that the car might be used for towing and identified additional maintenance requirements for such.

5. bubzki

bubzki Member

KIA is just CYA'ing and nothing more. Keep towing to about 2000 lbs or so and it's going to be fine if you're thoughtful and know how to trailer. Install was easy.

6. MartyDow

MartyDow Active Member

Ecobrap has some awesome Youtube videos on this topic. But his requirements are at the extreme end of the spectrum, and require alterations to both the car and the hitch. A Drawtight Class II hitch with a 1-1/4" receiver, rated for 3500 lbs tow weight, 350 lbs tongue weight, does not require any alterations except to the aero trim panel if you want it back on the car. Part number: 36600. It cost me $350 to get the hitch and a 4-pin flat/7-pin round combo connector installed at U-Haul. The installation is really clean, and looks like at came that way from the factory. There is a video showing the hitch installation: . How much you tow is on you, but I would keep it under 2800 lbs...

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. MartyDow

MartyDow Active Member

Actually, it was closer to $400 total parts and labor...

9. Bender

Bender Active Member

Do we know if the attachment is the same for the Niro Plug in version?

Uhaul's site has a different hitch that comes up for the plug in and says it's the "only" hitch compatible with the plug in hybrid. Wondering if that would skip needing to modify it.

Part number is UHI36990
    It says it's built to order with 6-8 week lead time...

https://www.uhaul.com/Trailer-Hitches/2019/Kia/Niro-Plug-in/Front-Wheel-Drive/?ddl

Last edited: Jan 2, 2021
  10. MartyDow

MartyDow Active Member

That is correct; the PHEV requires a custom hitch. But the EV takes the Drawtight class II hitch PN 36600, made for the standard hybrid, without modification...

11. Bender

Bender Active Member

? Don't the drawtight instructions also include cutting off the studs from the vehicle? (or drilling holes into the hitch for them).
    Edit: or maybe this one looks like it doesn't need that.... limits me to using the 1 bike rack and not my 2" one for 2 bikes.
    Edit2: Actually, 2:25 in the video in your post... doesn't look like it's mounted right, it's down at an angle. Looks like that hitch needs the same modification (moving the mounting holes) and they just didn't do it?

Also, as an additional related question:
    Anyone have a part number for the aeroguard? I can't seem to find the niro ev on the third party parts websites.
    Reason is.... (looking at buying next monday) I might end up trading in at <6 months, so I might want to remove the hitch installation completely, and reinstall a complete panel there.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2021
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. MartyDow

MartyDow Active Member

14. MartyDow

MartyDow Active Member

The aero panel is the lowermost assembly on the rear bumper in the Niro EV parts manual. Repeating my earlier post, the Drawtight Class II hitch PN 36600, 1-1/4" receiver, is rated for 3500 lbs tow weight, 300 lbs tongue weight, which is plenty for as many bicycles as you could reasonably want. It bolts in perfectly without any modification to the hitch or the frame, only to the aero panel. If you don't want to modify the panel, you could just leave ut off. And no, it is not skewed up or down.

Bender, bubzki and blue_door like this.
  15. Bender

Bender Active Member

I've got the Curt hitch on order, arriving Wednesday. Prefer 2". Planning to try with the panel left off and holes drilled into the hitch rather than cutting off the two studs from the vehicle that attach the panel.

I was able to fit my 29" XL frame mountain bike (with front wheel removed) inside the vehicle with only a little effort though. Still going to install the hitch for the bike rack.

16. Bender

Bender Active Member

Curt 2" installed. Didn't have ideal tools to move the holes. I ended up moving the two holes on the side and the one for the bolts from the aeroguard to fit. No mods to the vehicle itself.
    The aeroguard looks like ~$100 to buy a replacement. Might modify mine to fit the hitch -- I think it looks like it would just need two slits on the ends and the square for the hitch and it would fit (the main "bar" looks like it would fit without modifying the panel). For now I just have it left removed.

20210122_181055.jpg 20210122_184116.jpg 20210122_185711.jpg

bubzki likes this.
  17. blue_door

blue_door Member

Let us know how your efficiency changes with the hitch installed and aeroguard removed.

It would seem like a simple thing for Curt to drill out that hole/slot in the bracket by default to fit around that stud on the car.

Also, what bike rack is that?

18. Bender

Bender Active Member

I don't currently drive enough to compare that, but I wouldn't expect much change for just the hitch on, though maybe more with the bike attached. I haven't even gotten around to letting out the extra air the dealer had in the tires (it was near 40PSI, now it's ~38 after I let some out)

It looks like I moved the holes to a different place than the poster above me, I wanted the bracket to sit directly against the frame.
    There's also an "extra" hole for the stud in the wrong place because I was initially trying to place it differently, and that's the first holes I drilled. I basically extended the three slots (the two on the sides, and the one for the studs to fit).

Rockymounts monorail solo.
    https://www.amazon.com/RockyMounts-MonoRail-Expandable-Platform-Bicycle/dp/B076WTCZD5

Last edited: Jan 23, 2021
  19. EVA 1

EVA 1 New Member

When U-Haul installed your hitch was the receiver set below the rear mud guard/fascia or did they cut into the mud guard to have the receiver set higher?

20. MartyDow

MartyDow Active Member

They cut relief sections out of the mud guard to accommodate the hitch mount points and receiver. For the Drawtight Type II hitch, no other modifications were necessary to either the hitch or the vehicle. If you go with the type III, modifications to both will be necessary...

21. EVA 1

EVA 1 New Member

22. EVA 1

EVA 1 New Member

Have you run into concerns about the height of your hitch? I saw the uhaul video that showed installation of a DrawTite 36600 on a ice Nero. For that job they placed the hitch higher and made a cut into the bumper fascia. As I want to put a hitch on my Nero I am concerned about the hitch riding too low.

23. snowy2020

snowy2020 Member

I just installed the 36600 and I'm going to have to take it off and modify it. The receiver tube sits at a significant downward angle. https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch/Draw-Tite/36600.html You can see on that page there's a review showing the installed hitch and you can see the angle. The rear mounting bolt holes on the hitch need to be slightly higher than they are in order for it to angle correctly. I'm going to try to correct mine this weekend, but might have to find a fabrication shop to fill and redrill the hole for me.