New problem since 196 update: Pre-heating doesn't work on the first try

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by TheLight75, Nov 21, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. TheLight75

TheLight75 Active Member

Since I got the 196 update last week, I've noticed that cabin pre-heating doesn't work on the first try any more. On three separate occasions, I've used the Blue Link app to pre-heat the car to 75F. The app tells me that the request was successful. But when I go out to the Kona after 10-15 minutes, the car interior is still ice-cold. What's interesting to note is that when I start up the Kona, the climate set point is changed to 75F (which I would expect) even though the heat never kicked in. Of course, when I tried to pre-heat the car again right after while sitting in it, it worked fine.

Has anyone else had this issue after the recall update?

Dag Lindquist likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. BC-Doc

BC-Doc Member

Yes, same issue. Blue Link remote heating isn’t working for me either. I hadn’t used it since last winter so I’m not certain it’s the BMS update that’s causing it to fail even after telling me the request was successful.

4. We are now having the same issue. Update was done this week and BlueLink app no longer works with climate.

5. Looks like Bluelink app in Canada has had at least 2 updates to fix bugs in the past couple of weeks, possibly related? For what ever its worth I have not any problems with calls for climate control on the app but I have also not had the BMS update yet .

6. BC-Doc

BC-Doc Member

Update: I deleted the Blue Link app from my iPhone, powered down the phone, restarted the phone and reloaded the app and remote heating start seems to be working. I will test it a few more times this week to verify that all’s well.

Dag Lindquist and apu like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. I tried this also and it worked (although BlueLink said it failed). So reinstalling it appears to fix it.

BC-Doc likes this.
  9. So I had the issue reoccur. After some testing I think I’ve resolved.

On iPhone, BlueLink doesn’t work if you use facial recognition or the finger print to unlock the app.
    Using either method allows us to unlock, but it never actually turns on the climate.

Once we disabled it on both phones, the climate turns on as expected (although it still sometimes says it fails when it actually succeeds).

Hope that helps anyone with BlueLink woes.

BC-Doc likes this.
  10. Kona Bill

Kona Bill Member

I have to say that I have not had any issue starting the heating system remotely. I use it before I leave for work (about 47*c) and it works just fine. Hope it all works out for you.

11. BC-Doc

BC-Doc Member

Remote heating no longer working for me either after I thought I’d fixed it.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Kona Bill

Kona Bill Member

Hi,
    If no one else has posted this, give it a shot.

If you’ve reloaded the app and that didn’t work, here’s what I had to do:

(I just got off the phone with Blue Link)

There is a reset button on the dash (right above the radio volume knob), you’ll need a pen or paper clip to activate it.

1) start the car
    2) hold the button in for 5 seconds and release (you may lose your radio presets)
    3) turn off the car
    4) get out of the car, lock it (click the lock button twice) and try to remote start something again.

This worked for me. I hope it does for you too.

BC-Doc and apu like this.
  14. NRH

NRH Active Member

Yes, having the same issue since the 196 recall. Heat seems to activate, but then immediately stops. 2nd activation (also via the app) works every time.

15. Same here, frequently does not start climate on first request or rather it will start briefly for a second and then stop . Bluelink then reports back an incorrect successful start. I see there was a new app update today, crossing my fingers its going to address this bug.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Inside EVs mobile app

16. NRH

NRH Active Member

Thanks for this Kona Bill. Did this fix your problem long-term? Have you had any reoccurrence?

17. Tim94549

Tim94549 Active Member

Just a thought - the DOORS must be LOCKED for the remote HEAT feature to work ... I had this issue until I figured that out. Haven't had a problem since. I just issue a REMOTE LOCK, wait for it to complete, the issue the REMOTE START HEAT. Has been working every time ... knock on wood.

18. Hi Tim I don't think that is a rule, my remote climate will start with the doors unlocked. I suspect by issuing the remote lock command first you might be waking up the head unit and possibly making it more receptive to completing the remote heat request successfully. Its a software bug for sure, for the moment it seems remote climate is more reliable since recent bluelink app update.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Inside EVs mobile app

19. Tim94549

Tim94549 Active Member

APU - you may be right. However that has been my own experience. I used to never be able to get the pre-HEATING to work if doors were unlocked. I always received the Bluelink message that it was "SUCCESSFUL" only to arrive to a cold vehicle. After uninstalling/reinstall the POC App, I started issuing the Door lock first and suddenly I've not had it fail since. YMMV ... thanks.

20. To be clear I am experiencing exactly the same issue since the last BMS update, weird thing is its not consistent. It seems worse if the car has been idle/stopped for even a relatively short period. I sat in the car a couple of times and sent the start command and observed the car trying to start fan and HVAC for a brief second and then stop. In all cases it would report back to bluelink app that the climate was initiated successfully. I suppose it was successful for about a second. Nonetheless if I sent a follow up HVAC start command it usually took on the second attempt.

21. NRH

NRH Active Member

I’m at the dealer for the braking recall, and had them look into the heating problem. We observed what was happening (started the heat, which quit after 20 seconds. Then worked the next time), and tech was interested to hear about the forum information. He looked at another forum with a similar thread, and then called the tech line. They had him reset the radio (button by the screen) and do a “cap discharge” (disconnect power harnes and jump the pos and neg wires in the harness).

We tested it and it worked for at least 3 min, so maybe that sorted the issue.

Good experience with the service guys today. They were interested in figuring it out.

22. Thomas Mackay

Thomas Mackay New Member

I have the same issue, hopefully, I will have the same experience when I go in for the braking recall on monday.

23. NRH

NRH Active Member

Stopped working again. :(