What happened here?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by R P, Jan 21, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. To remove this ad click here.

2. This is interesting. The only statement made from Tesla is that something impacted the bottom of the car. What kind of impact is required to set off the battery? Or was it something else?

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

I think we'll have to wait more formal analysis. However, even a 12 V battery can start a fire in ordinary cars. Once started, there is little that can be done to stop it BUT they tend not be an explosive event. Cells will cook-off and make a loud bang but we don't know.

My understanding is the 2710 cell electrolyte is combustable. As for the future 4680, it looks to be a dry electrolyte which should reduce the fire hazard.

Bob Wilson

4. Recoil45

Recoil45 Active Member

There is a difference with a standard 12v battery vs lotion ion. It is only the hydrogen gas that can cause a fire issue. Components of the battery are not flammable un like lotion ion.. You really have to get into a significant overcharge issue to generate enough gas to cause an issue at the same time an ignition source is available. As we know hydrogen explosions in gas/diesel vehicles are extremely rare.

I had not heard that the 4680 cells have a reduced fire risk and a Google search turns up nothing. Do you have any links to share concerning this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

6. To remove this ad click here.

7. Recoil45

Recoil45 Active Member

Seems like you own personal conclusion/opinion.

Is this based on science or claims made by Tesla?

There are plenty of items that are dry but burn really really well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk