Are EV's Fun to Drive?

Discussion in 'General' started by Ecobrap, Jan 11, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Ecobrap

Ecobrap New Member

Made a video highlighting the amazing paddle regen system on the Niro EV. Belongs on every EV in my opinion! Enjoy!

davidtm likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

EVs are a blast:
    • 2014 BMW i3-REx
    • 2019 Tesla Std Rng Plus Model 3
    We're always across the intersection first and reach the speed limit about 200 yards ahead of the pack.

Bob Wilson

4. davidtm

davidtm Active Member

Agreed! Having four, count 'em, four levels of regen is perfect for novice EV driver's. They can select how much regen they want as they learn this new way of driving!

Oh, and Auto Regen!

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

5. Ecobrap

Ecobrap New Member

There are 5! 0,1,2,3, and fifth one is holding the left paddle down. In that 5th "option" I have seen 100+kW of regen! Wonder if it is actually charging at that rate because the DC charging limit is something like 70kW!

GetOffYourGas, Esprit1st and davidtm like this.
  6. It's actually 150kW Max Regen at "left paddle hold". And yes, switch to the energy consumption screen to actually see that number there. It can do it because it's only for a short period of a few seconds. And probably limited to SOCs of less than 90% or so.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Paul K

Paul K Active Member

The heading is "Are EVs fun to drive?". Well yes they are in a different way. With ICE cars I always tried to obtain harder and harder to get manual trannys. I just love using a clutch and taking them through the gears and did wonder about missing that. Standard transmissions are apparently now less popular than EVs in the U.S. The EV is a different kind of fun. Listening to your music without the engine drone is "fun" as is the perky accelerating darting into traffic. While I've hung on to my old gasser for nostalgia as well as tax purposes, like most commenters here I wouldn't want to go back to an ICE vehicle.

brulaz and Esprit1st like this.