My Mini Cooper SE Black Edition w/mods

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by electrocooper, Nov 16, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. electrocooper

electrocooper New Member

Hi folks,

i've got my SE for two months now and already did some mods on it. I thought it would be interesting for some people here, to see what's possible and i would also love feedback.

[​IMG]

Mods done so far:

- Rear Windows tinted black 95%
    - MaxWheel 18" winter tyres
    - Coilover Suspension
    - Some coding via BimmerCode (like foldable mirrors you see in the photo)

Of course you can ask me any questions. I also actively maintain an instagram account "@electrocooper" with videos, daily updates and so on.

If this kind of post is not appreciated here, just (re)move it.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Very much appreciated! How did you blacken the chrome strip between the greenhouse and the body?

4. electrocooper

electrocooper New Member

@insightman I didn't blacken any chrome yet (but already ordered some black parts;)) . Maybe the europe version differs? Could you send me a picture of what you mean in detail?

5. Lainey

Lainey Well-Known Member

Looks fantastic! Are you looking to black out further like the chrome headlights or the grille? I'm torn on doing that myself.

With Bimmercode were your using the Mini options or any of the i3 settings? I'm waiting on my SE but used Bimmercode on my current Mini. Was adding more last night when I left the car on too long on battery and got a low voltage warning so lost all my changes I planned to make including auto folding mirrors lol

SmartElectric and electrocooper like this.
  6. electrocooper

electrocooper New Member

Thanks, @Lainey
    I already ordered parts to black out head and rear lights and the door handles. For the grille i was unsure if it would fit on an SE.
    These parts just gets glued onto the existing ones. So it *should* be easy. I got the recommendation and saw some pictures, it didn't look cheap (but it's).
    If i tested myself i will do a review.

For Bimmercode i only used the easy mode, so only with the default available options for MINI. With i3 settings - are those in expert mode visible or you mean from beginning say Bimmercode it's an i3 ?

SmartElectric and Lainey like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. fizzit

fizzit Active Member

Looks really nice, what coil overs did you get? How's the ride? Looks like you have decent ground clearance in the front, does it scrape much on driveways or speed bumps?

9. Lainey

Lainey Well-Known Member

Whatever changes you do make, post pics after you finish. It likely will be winter solidly here when mine comes so I'm not sure I'll make changes until warmer weather hits. I love seeing what people do though.

I currently only have a '16 Mini, so I have not been able to play with the SE. I have read others have had luck using the i3 coding. I know some just selected i3, but I wasn't sure how well that worked. It was only for things like pedestrian warning. Most of what I will change will be in the Mini section.

10. insightman

I couldn't find the photo online of the SE I saw with everything blacked out, but I found this matte-black JCW on the BMW Blog that has the black strip replacing the chrome strip that separates the greenhouse and the body. I don't know if MINI makes this black strip or if it is an aftermarket creation, but it must be either difficult to procure, difficult to install, or both, because that chrome strip appears on many otherwise all-black MINI Coopers.

upload_2020-11-16_19-37-47.png

Attached Files:

11. Lainey

Lainey Well-Known Member

I know people who have done vinyl layers. That's likely the route I will go if I black all out. I'm still deciding. Lots of choices on etsy. They even have color change for the Countryman PHEV badges as well as the S. So if you want to change colors for that too, there's vinyl for that as well. I also saw someone vinyl their front grille all black.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. fizzit

fizzit Active Member

I believe it's called the beltline, there's plenty of results for blackout stickers when I search for "F56 beltline"

insightman likes this.
  14. Lainey

Lainey Well-Known Member

Yes it is the beltline. Lots of options out there. I was looking at matte vs glossy and unsure which I liked best.

15. idrw

idrw Member

Some pics of my 95% dechromed, 100% de-yellowed Cooper SE exterior!!!

20201122_123720.jpg
    Untitled.png
    Untitled1.png
    Untitled2.png
    Untitled3.png

16. Lainey

Lainey Well-Known Member

17. Tommy Electric

Tommy Electric Active Member

That looks great although the off-centred front plate looks very strange to my eyes.

18. idrw

idrw Member

19. idrw

idrw Member

My state requires a front plate. So used a tow hitch license plate holder to avoid drilling holes on the grill. I will be moving to another state soon that would not need a front plate and there I can just take it off the tow hook and keep a clean front end.

20. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

Your SE looks great.

My state also requires front plates, and cars are never sold without a front plate holder. I'm somewhat surprised you got your SE without one.

21. Lainey

Lainey Well-Known Member

Thank you! Did you do the work yourself? I'm debating doing all of this myself (or having it done)

My state dropped front plates this year so I plan to go without.

My dealer said it's not automatically put on. Said most cars they sell now do not have them. It's a request if you want it. So I bet if you tell your dealer not to, they'd oblige or at least discuss options.

22. insightman

@idrw, your red/black/no-chrome color scheme looks fabulous! For his very black SE, I expect @Matt Shumaker would be interested in the economical and easy-to-install beltline black-out solution you found.

My SE came with a front license plate bracket in the boot and I assume that's the norm where no front license is required. I thank my lucky stars when I see a car from another state with a front license plate that reminds me Michigan doesn't require them. For an extra $10, Michigan will make a copy of a personalized plate to mount on the front (or in my case, on the wall of my garage).

23. GetOffYourGas

GetOffYourGas Well-Known Member

I have always lived in a state that requires the front plate, so they just look normal to me. I don't understand the strong distaste for them.