Chevy bolts with LG batteries from S Korea now being recalled as well

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Fastnf, Nov 13, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Lars and GeorgeS like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. It could be a combination of the cells and software as well. Though, since it's only LG batteries from one plant in South Korea, it does seem like that's the main issue. Some 2019's have cells from Holland, Michigan, so those vehicles will be fine. The dealer should be able to tell if your Bolt EV is included in the action by the VIN (vehicle identification number).

4. It's certainly an interesting development and we await to see how GM will respond compared with Hyundai. I wonder if any other EVs use S.K.-manufactured LG Chem cells?

5. GeorgeS

GeorgeS Active Member

Then again if another LG chem kona or bolt bursts into flame after the fix, there might be some replacement batteries.

6. cmwade77

cmwade77 Active Member

GM is forcing a 90% charging limit until they figure out the problem.....at least we get to keep our full range. And to top it off, Bolts were already getting less real world range than the Kona based on the owners I had spoken with.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Now I really winder how long will it take to get my 2021 with ~3000km back? :( The fact that the problem is likely not unique to Hyundai is in some way reassuring.

9. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

I just wish they did a better job of communicating with us. Fear of lawsuits means that they basically say nothing about what they think the problem is, and whether they might have already made some changes that might correct it.

10. Genevamech

Genevamech Active Member

Kind of interesting that the GM recall is making the rounds on the news aggregate sites, but I never once saw anything about the Hyundai recall outside of EV-centric forums and sites.

I saw one Reuters article about the GM recall mention the Hyundai recall at the end, and it says the Kona's cells were made in Nanjing, China. Is that right? I thought the Kona and Bolt cells were all made in the same South Korean plant?

11. According to google the nanjing plant is pretty new and didn't start mass production until early 2020. I Suspect the affected batteries were all produced in South Korea.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Inside EVs mobile app

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. The Kona EV 2021 is affected by the recall?!

14. cmwade77

cmwade77 Active Member

I don't think so.

15. Update;
    1. I read somewhere that Kona EV customers in South Korea are suing, Hyundai - for ~$7,500 each - for loss of the value of their car.

2. No, the 2021 models were not part of the recall - neither is mine.

3. I dropped by the dealer a couple of days back. My car was still sitting on back of the dealer's lot, waiting for the new HV battery (since October 26). I was told the order was placed for the replacement but they have no information about a possible arrival date.
    In the meanwhile a couple of sales guys were in the middle of positioning two new Kona EVs on the front lot. When I asked I was told that neither of the cars "were spoken for" - i.e. sold. So I suggested to the service manager to replace the HV battery in my car from one of the newly arrived ones. I was promised that they will check with the General Manager and let me know.
    I figured that the dealership may need support/approval from head office to proceed. So I contacted Hyundai Canada Customer Service and explained the situation. Customer service very understanding. They gave me case# to follow up on. I called the service manager back and gave him the case# I got from Hyundai Canada.
    I will call Monday or Tuesday to follow up.
    All in all, as upsetting the situation is, I can not complain about my dealer or Hyundai Canada. It is not their fault. Maybe I will get my car back for Christmas? :(

ericy likes this.
  16. Hmmm, better yet, replace your entire car with one of the new ones.

17. This idea was quickly shot down. At this point, the new one may have other issues.