Hard wired charger vs plug-in

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by leehinde, Nov 10, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. DucRider

DucRider Well-Known Member

Indeed.
    I work with PGE on EV adoption, and was went an invite to join this pilot project before rolling out to the general public. Right now, the Chargepoint Flex is the only EVSE listed as qualified (it has to be a "smart" unit they can communicate with to work with the program).
    I actually researched the Chargepoint Flex prior to purchasing, and a couple of these issues stood out. When I reached out to their customer support, they assured me that it could be mounted in a way that could be tool free (contrary to to online manual), This turned out not to be the case. They also stated that it complied with the ventilation requirement and labeling. Also not the case.
    I went back and further reviewed both the 2017 and 2020 NEC andt at PGE. I prepared a document that listed all the things I felt were issues. My contact thanked me and forwarded it to another department. I got an email from them thanking me for the feedback and stating that they had scheduled a meeting with Chargepoint to discuss the issue.
    NEC 625 is a bit of a mess and definitely needs some cleaning up and clarification in areas that it contradicts itself. Specifically it states that the Personnel Protection System can be contained in the EVSE and defines cord lengths for the plug and other parameters when it is, but in another section demands the receptacle itself be protected.

I decided that choosing to install it hardwired on a 60A mitigated the major code violations and potential safety concerns and went ahead with it.

Even if I accidentally change it in the app to draw the maximum 50A instead of 48A, it is unlikely to create an issue on a 60A circuit. I don't have vehicle that will draw more than 32A, and 48A seems to be the new ceiling anyway (Rivian, Tesla, Lucid, etc). Theoretically, an older Tesla with the dual chargers using the J1772 adapter could draw 50A if the app got changed. Not high on my list of concerns.
    I am also extremely unlikely to have a vehicle in my garage with lead acid batteries and a J1772 charge port (I can't even think of one with that combination). The ventilation request issue is basically moot. EVs with LiIon batteries have no need for ventilation and will not request it.

Interestingly, the Leviton EVSE that came with the Honda Fit EV has a tool free mount and is labeled "Ventilation Not Required" and will refuse to charge an EV that sends a ventilation request. When I installed it in 2014, the NEC did not require the 6-50 receptacle to be GFCI protected.

And as a note, various jurisdictions will use different versions of the NEC (or other standards), and will often incorporate additions/deletions as they see fit. I am governed by a County Code based on the 2017 NEC (but moving to the 2020 version). While they have incorporated some changes, none are to section 625.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. leehinde

leehinde Active Member

I hadn't thought of needing portability until making a warranty claim was mentioned.

4. DucRider

Only plugs of 50A or less are allowed by the NEC for charging electric vehicles. Anything more must be hardwired (and any circuit over 60A requires a separate lockable disconnect), so a 48A EVSE also requires hardwiring.

5. MrFixit

MrFixit Well-Known Member

Like so many other things in life, this all seems to have become over-complicated !!

6. Only if we let it.

50A receptacle, 32A charger. Done and dusted.

jdonalds and MrFixit like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Just wanted to confirm.

I’ll be getting a 32A plug-in with no “smart” features. No need for anything else, including having someone else control my charging.

And I don’t need $50/yr for the inconvenience.

9. DucRider

No inconvenience. Just plug it in when you get home. If they send a notice that they want to slow or delay charging, you can so "no" and charge immediately. Before we got the new EVSE, we delayed charging until 11PM anyway. Now we plug in and charge immediately and let them slow or delay it if it is better for the grid and their load management. I see zero situations where our car will not be fully charged in the AM (and they promise just that). $21 installed cost for a 48A EVSE is a fantastic deal. Pretty sure your 32A Plug-in will be more than that (my "dumb" 32A plug in was "free" with the Honda Fit EV). I like being able to see the daily usage in kWh and $ (tied directly in to PGE rates) from the Chargepoint App.

10. Perhaps intrusion would have been a more appropriate word.

Yes, it will be more than “free”.

And worth every penny.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2020
  11. TomL

TomL Active Member

That is exactly what I did with full functionality and no regrets.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. DucRider

I used my no frills Leviton 32A EVSE for almost 7 years (and it is still installed).
    I like the Chargepoint better, but without the PGE rebate I would still be using the Leviton.
    It's good that there are choices on the market.

Fastermac likes this.
  14. fotomoto

fotomoto Active Member

I went hardwired cuz I was going to wire it up myself (and remove when I leave) and it's the lowest cost option. Plus it's a "permanent" install in the garage as I don't have a need to transport it around (I have a PHEV). Total cost for materials: $28 for a nema 6-20 setup, 2ft run. 5 years later still running great (ClipperCreek 20 amp). The connecting point (plug & receptacle) is what typically wears out first. My C-max has a recall on the stock EVSE for potential connector failures.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2020
  15. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Even though neither of my current cars take more than 32 Amps, I thought I was so smart to "future-proof" by getting 60-Amp service in the garage and a 48-Amp ClipperCreek EVSE. However, now I'm stuck coiling an uncoiling a thicker, more unwieldy 48-Amp charging cord. As I walk around our neighborhood, I envy the other plug-in cars I see sporting their spaghetti-thin charging cords.

16. DucRider

Many of the newer EVSEs have cables that are thin and flexible.
    The Chargepoint cable on the 48A Flex unit is thinner and more flexible than the one on my 32A Leviton. No noticeable difference in heat between the two at 32A, but don't have a vehicle that draws 48A to see how warm it gets at nearly full throttle (the unit can be set to 50A on a 70A or 80A circuit)

insightman likes this.
  17. nrkmann

nrkmann New Member

Had an exterior NEMA 14-50 installed.

Use it for:
    EV Charging
    Travel Trailer
    Welder

IMG_1596.jpeg

insightman likes this.
  18. KEK

KEK New Member

We use existing 220 in garage with 32A EVSE (see photo). Honda Link App allows scheduling charging time. We set for 1AM--cheapest power. ESVE1.jpg

19. John321

John321 Member

The biggest advantage of hard wired is safety.

In a garage or outdoors all electrical work is required to have its circuit protected by a ground fault circuit for safety reasons.

Imagine if a person installed a plug in charger for 'portability' and then unplugged the charger to move it.
    Fast forward to Dad cleaning the garage floor one day and laying the hose down to run inside the house for just a minute - his little child then tries to help Dad out spraying the hose unsupervised and the resulting tragedy that results when little Mary or Johnny accidently sprays the water into the exposed 240 volt outlet receptacle.

Most reputable UL listed Chargers will have their own ground fault circuit internally for safety and when hardwired these units are very safe.

No licensed Electrician worth a dime would install a Car Charger that wasn't UL listed nor would he install a 240 volt circuit receptacle outdoors or in a garage without a ground fault breaker- he would lose his license!

20. Before you know it little Johnny will be smoking cigarettes next to gas cans.

Either one will be equally safe or dangerous, depending on the installation.

petteyg359 likes this.
  21. John321

John321 Member

QUOTE="Landshark, post: 115434, member: 17174"Either one will be equally safe or dangerous, depending on the installation.

Quick reply is No

https://clippercreek.com/ev-charging-station-installation-hardwired-vs-plug/
    "When it comes to installation, hardwired units are typically more permanent and are always recommended for outdoor installations as hardwiring the appliance provides a better and more weather resistant connection to power. They can be moved, but you’d probably need to have an electrician come out to uninstall and then reinstall the unit at your new location. With a hardwired station the supply power wires from the station will be connected directly to the power wires coming from the electrical panel (circuit breaker)."

22. John321,

I understand the difference between the 2 types of devices. Either can be used safely.

There are countless 30A and 50A receptacles installed outdoors, in outdoor approved enclosures, throughout North America. Think, RV resorts, for instance. A separate breaker can be installed in the enclosure, which has a lid that closes, to prevent little Johnny from frying his nuggets while left unattended.

It is also possible for hardwired devices to fail, melt, arc, burn or start fires. Nothing is completely safe.

petteyg359 likes this.
  23. MyTwoCents

MyTwoCents New Member

I had a NEMA 14-50 plug installed. While the plug is the failure point, it can be replaced. It also is a resale feature if someone has a different brand car. I bought a second mobile charger and did a “permanent” install as it was the cheapest solution overall. No plugging and unplugging and not locking into one charger either.

Attached Files: