Recall 196 now shows on US Hyundai Recall website..

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by FloridaSun, Oct 15, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. FloridaSun

FloridaSun Well-Known Member

Haven't tried to charge to 100%.. May try doing so tomorrow..

electriceddy and KiwiME like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. For some anecdata, I got the update done at Tustin Hyundai in SoCal. Took about an hour and fifteen minutes at the dealership, and they said the car checked out fine. Currently fast charging at an EA station; started out from
    15% at about 50kw, then jumped to 75kw after about 15 minutes. Ambient temperature is 44° F, so I suspect the initial slowish rate was due to temperature and the jump to 75 was once the battery warmed up.

4. Got my 196 recall update done today. Took about 2 hours. I'll be charging tonight so fingers crossed.

5. FloridaSun

I charged to 98% right now and stopped the charge as I'm not home.. I want to record via Torque Pro the last 2% of the charge to record the voltages etc...

6. echeck

echeck New Member

Got mine done this morning. I don’t have any fancy dongles to read anything, though. I’m going to charge up to 100% on Wednesday and see if max range is comparable.

My wife is leaning towards trading in for a Mach-E in 2-3 months. I still love the Kona, but I’m starting to get behind the idea...

electriceddy likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. That would be a very nice trade up, hopefully you get a good value on trade in and MSRP without ADM (additional dealer mark up);)

9. echeck

echeck New Member

I’m actually very curious what the trade-in value would be. I have the Ultimate Kona, so the cost isn’t that much different than the Premier Mach-E, aside from ADM, of course.. :rolleyes:

Probably won’t happen since we don’t want a payment that’s $200 more per month, but it’s a nice thought...

electriceddy likes this.
  10. I recently did well trading to a newer model, 78% of MSRP (YMMV):
    https://insideevsforum.com/community/index.php?threads/post-pics-of-your-kona.6276/page-6#post-113151
    There is no reason you can't accomplish a similar equivalent value;)

echeck likes this.
  11. Konasu

Konasu New Member

My recall notice further states, " Hyundai is continuing to actively investigate this condition for identification of a specific root cause" leading me to believe they don't really understand the problem. So are you (electriceddy) going to take yours in for the recall? Limit your charging level? I'm unsure what to do but definitely want to park in my garage, especially with winter coming on.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. From what I have read in the various "recall" threads (and there have been a lot of them to date), the chances of an issue is remote but would conform to the requirements suggested until your pack has been cleared by this latest update (#196 is the new one , #960 was the original).
    My original 2019 model sits (as I write this post) on the dealer's lot, waiting for the 196 update as well as the motor replacement procedure which was in the works for some time.
    Details here:https://insideevsforum.com/community/index.php?threads/post-pics-of-your-kona.6276/page-6#post-113151

14. So I did my update about a week ago now and something strange started happening.

I started getting an alarm about the 12 v battery voltage being low, it's happened a couple of times today, the first time it went away by itself so fast I was barely able to read it, the second time I turned the car off waited a minute or so then turned it back on and everything was fine.

Has anyone else seen similar issues?

It didn't have any issues unlocking the car before giving me that warning.

15. Got the letter in the mail and I'm getting my recall update done tomorrow afternoon.

electriceddy likes this.
  16. DAS14

DAS14 New Member

I live in NJ. The update was performed. I attempted after to charge to 100%. After completing the charge the car was bricked and needed to be towed to the dealer. Hyundai does not know what the fix is.

17. Be sure to have a sufficient SOC on the 12 V battery, maybe leave it on in run mode or utility mode for a couple of hours or of course a battery tender would also work.;)

18. doggyworld

doggyworld Active Member

He probably died in an exploding Kona.

19. Genevamech

Genevamech Active Member

The fix for that is a new battery.

The updated BMS did some diagnostics and decided that your battery had a fault serious enough to completely disable it. The dealer will not have the tools or training necessary to dismantle the battery pack for repairs, so Hyundai will ship them a new battery to swap in.

Good luck, apparently this could take a while. Please keep us posted on any major updates!

20. Yeah, my BM2 always shows good charging and near 100% SOC on the aux battery. I have never had it run down, so should be in good shape.

For my dealer visit tomorrow for the recall, I unhooked the BM2 as well as removed the OBDII dongle. Just as well they don't what I know. Now I just hope I don't end up with a bricked car when I do try to charge it to 100%.

21. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Well-Known Member

Had the recall done yesterday. Charged when I got home in my slow but lovable wall socket with no apparent differences. If any of the tweaks only impact DC fast charging I will hardly ever experience them.

electriceddy likes this.
  22. FloridaSun

I charged on DC Fast to 91% and had no impact due to the updates except for a 0.5% later charging rate drop which is likely to them adding 0.5% to the buffer..

23. Thomas Mackay

Thomas Mackay New Member

Hello, relatively new member

Took mine into the dealer today for the 196 update. The manager said it was not the first one they have done, even if that was a lie I felt better about it.

It took maybe 1-1/2 to 2 hours. I noticed no significant changes when I got the car back, other than no option for aux battery charger option being gone.

At this moment its plugged into the granny charger, reads 47% and 32:10 till charged (have it set to 80% for AC)

Attached Files: