Regen breaking and fuel efficiency

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Kingemail, Oct 30, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Kingemail

Kingemail Member

Hello so I've had my 2018 clarity for about a month now, and here come the questions!

So is it true that if I use the paddles for braking, I am or am not using the brake pads?

Also, when I drive everyday, I usually use ev only until it's all gone, then I go to hv. Should I be switching to hv when I go freeways and switch back to ev when I do more city? That's what I did when I had the volt and don't know if it's better efficient that route.

Another thing, am I getting the same mpg if I am using hv with a full battery charger vs using hv when I'm out of ev juice???? When the sticker on car shows 40-42 mpg, is that referring to driving in HV only, when you're out of electric?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. JFon101231

JFon101231 Active Member

Yes paddles are regen only

2nd question depends somewhat on total distance driven and whether types/speeds varies during trip.

Pretty sure the HV might rating is on "empty" battery, ie 2 bars. Usually with more EV than that you would expect the motor to turn off in certain conditions so you'd see a higher effective mpg...

4. jdonalds

jdonalds Well-Known Member

If I know my round trip distance is within the EV Range I'll just stay in Econ/EV mode.

If I know my round trip will not complete in electric only mode I'll switch to HV. I set the SatNav to my destination. When the number of miles to the destination is less than the EV Range I'll switch back to Econ/EV mode. That way I'm maximizing my use of electric power. This makes sense unless you have access to cheap gas but expensive electric recharge power. In our case we charge the car with solar at home.

5. ClarityBill

ClarityBill Active Member

Regeneration is limited when the battery is full, so it is best to let the battery level drop before switching to HV mode.

No brake pads with paddles.

6. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

In fact, to the consternation of many (OK, mostly me), the Clarity will start its engine in response to regen braking if the battery is fully charged. Somehow, the running engine burning gasoline uses up the power coming from the traction motor performing regen braking.

In contrast, when the battery of a non-plug-in Honda hybrid is fully charged and regen braking is invoked, the regen braking power is used to spin a deadened engine (no gas is burned). I've been waiting 3 years for Honda to explain why the Clarity does not also do this.

JFon101231 likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. JFon101231

JFon101231 Active Member

Not just you, my biggest annoyance with the car (even more so than weak regen (compared to Fit EV) and the fact the chevrons reset if not in Sport)

9. Peter CC

Peter CC New Member

Honda certified technician noted 9mm on front brake, 7mm on rear brake at 27,000 miles. He asked if I had replaced them because they had so little wear. Car was driven about 80% freeway 20% surface streets. Kept in "ECON" mode at all times. Primary driver never used paddles, sport mode or any such thing. Brakes and foot off the accelerator only.

10. I use EV where I feel it is more efficient. Lower speeds, heavy traffic or downhill, etc. HV is used for higher speeds and “long” uphill stretches. Some EV range does get used at higher speeds when there is a surplus.

It is important when switching from HV to EV, to allow the SOC set point to return to the original level before changing modes. It takes a minute or two for HV mode to get up to speed. EV range will diminish initially. It may continue to diminish while going uphill. Give it a few minutes after cresting a hill or getting to a flat part of road.

I don’t use any OBD tools or Hondalink to monitor SOC. I generally consider the EV range estimate to be useless as far as actually estimating range, and certainly for determining battery capacity. About the only function where I’ve found it to be useful is when reestablishing the set point. If I set it at 30 miles and it dips to 25-26, I’ll wait until it gets back to 30, or 29.9 before going back to EV. If you don’t wait, some EV range will be lost each time the switch is made.

insightman likes this.
  11. not surprising. Even without the paddles, the brake pedals use blended braking and are often using regen only if applied lightly

12. To remove this ad click here.