Should I buy the Clarity PHEV at lease end?

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by d99, Sep 20, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. d99

d99 Member

The three year lease on my 2018 Clarity PHEV comes due just a few months from now. The buyout is about $16,000 It seems tempting to buy it.

What should I be thinking about? Any qualms about long term reliability.

I live in a warm climate and am not a fast driver. I got 45-47 on the first few charges and never again after the software update. I give up trying to get answers from the dealer. The best I got was 42 this summer dropping into the mid 30's when the temp drops into the 40's and 50's at night.

The only vehicle feature that really annoys me is the loud engine noise when not running on electric. I probably run 2/3 gas 1/3 electric since I have no ability to charge the car at home.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. petteyg359

petteyg359 Well-Known Member

No. If you can't keep it charged, just get a non plugin hybrid or something that gets better gas mileage. Getting a PHEV and not using the PEV part of it is nonsensical.

JFon101231 and Daniel M W like this.
  4. ClarityBill

ClarityBill Active Member

That price is really tempting. Depending on the mileage, you might even try to resell it.

I have found the engine noise is reduced by using premium gas. You might want to try a couple tankfuls of 93 octane, just to see if it makes a difference to you. Octane of 89 or 91 also reduces noise, but not quite as much. I suggest 93 (or 91) as the first try, to get the full effect.

5. JFon101231

JFon101231 Active Member

Would need to know what current miles are

6. I’d recommend a battery capacity test. Your EV mileage seems low.

If charging at home, or elsewhere (work?) is not an option, a PHEV or ICE is probably what you will be driving.

If you don’t buy it, would you spend $16K on something else? What would you get?

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Hoon

Hoon Member

What does gas octane have to do with an engine noise? These engines are not even built for high octane gas. Where's this idea coming from?

$16k buy-out? I paid $28k for the car (2019 base model), and then there was $10k worth tax refund and OR state rebate, making it $18k. I would look for a better deal.

9. ClarityBill

ClarityBill Active Member

There was a thread that discussed the possibility of using premium gas, without a consensus... My experience (and a few others) says it reduces noise.

I believe: If you are using 87 octane, and think your engine is too noisy, it may be worth trying higher octane.

10. petteyg359

petteyg359 Well-Known Member

I believe there's a thing called a placebo. "Noise" and "knocking" are two very very different things, and higher octane only affects the latter. But it spending an extra $10 per tank makes you feel better, go ahread.

11. The Gadgeteer

The Gadgeteer Active Member

Wether high octane gas should or should not make a difference was debated in another thread but in the end many, myself included, do notice the difference. Mpg is higher too. I was surprised. I was of the thinking it should not matter.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Mark W

Mark W Active Member

CT
    I have the same decision come up in only a year. I am waaay over my lease milage so I will have to buy it for the $13,XXX buyout price, since my overage would be expensive. I have intended to buy it at the end of the lease all along. First car I ever leased. Where would I get nearly as nice of a car for $13,XXX?

14. soobaerodude

soobaerodude New Member

If you ever decide not to keep the car, then get a purchase quote from carvana or vroom and see how much they'll offer you, might be surprised.

15. The Gadgeteer

The Gadgeteer Active Member

I have the same decision in about 17 months. My buyout is about $15K for a Touring. I am doing well on miles but only because of the coronavirus has me working from home so I am saving all those commuting miles.