Map update

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by bobcubsfan, Aug 26, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. bobcubsfan

bobcubsfan Active Member

$35000 Clarity. Honda charges for map updates. $1000 iPhone (there are lower-cost models) Apple charges $0 for map updates.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. moka

moka New Member

In this FAQ: https://honda.garmin.com/honda/resources/faqs/en_US.html

Do I have to pay for map updates?
    For Honda vehicles with Garmin navigation, a user gets 5 years of map updates at no cost.

How much longer will I receive free map updates for?
    Garmin Express will display how much time you have left in your subscription.

petteyg359 likes this.
  4. petteyg359

petteyg359 Well-Known Member

1. As already stated, five years of updates are included.

2. Honda doesn't charge for updates. Garmin charges for updates. Use Android Auto or CarPlay if you don't want to pay Garmin.

Though it would've been nice if Honda installed decent hardware and a full Android system for native Maps support and kept it up to date with firmware...

5. bobcubsfan

bobcubsfan Active Member

I use car play,

6. bobcubsfan

bobcubsfan Active Member

6 months to do on the lease. Can't wait to turn it in.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. jdonalds

jdonalds Well-Known Member

The Garmin maps are okay but the search function is nearly useless. I've used Garmin GPS devices since 2005 and they are all the same. I was driving from Redding CA to Sacramento CA, a trip of about 2 1/2 hours. I wasn't using the map but just wanted to get an estimate on my time to destination. I tried for more than 5 minutes to have the Garmin recognize the word Sacramento but it never did.

Honestly if we want to use a map function we simply use our Android phone and the Maps app which works quite well. There's no way I'll pay Garmin for a map update in a couple of years. I gave up waiting for Garmin to improve their software. Great hardware, lousy software.

9. bobcubsfan

bobcubsfan Active Member

Absolutely. We use Apple Maps. "Hey, Siri, route me to Tomm's Joynt."

10. Six months. That can be a long time. Are you sure you don't want to get rid of it sooner?

JFon101231 likes this.
  11. bobcubsfan

bobcubsfan Active Member

Maybe. Depends on what is available. Looking at Lucid and Mustang EV.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. JFon101231

JFon101231 Active Member

It's been a while since any car GPS units were better than a mobile phone (if ever)...

insightman likes this.
  14. bobcubsfan

bobcubsfan Active Member

Makes you wonder why. We mostly use iPhone CarPlay. Maps show on the Clarity screen.

15. stacey burke

stacey burke Active Member

I have never had problems with the gps in the car, works great for me. I don't ever use my apple phone in the car for mapping.

16. This is why fewer cars are coming out with nav systems.
    Just one more source of customer complaints.

17. Because you don't use the navigation?