Clunking Vibration type sound

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by blakehaas, Oct 22, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. You would think they would realise that guessing is not a requirement of their job and just makes them look unprofessional. They must have left something loose as you're thinking.

I like the design as well but for purely packaging reasons. The pinion width on the second motor is downright scary and it appears to have an outrigger bearing.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Excellent article, please re-post this in the Ford Mustang Mach - E category , lots of important details to mull over. ;)

4. Hey folks, little update here.

Took my car to the dealership on July 23. They had a tech ride with me, and he could clearly hear the sound. They kept it overnight and determined with Hyundai engineering support that a new motor was needed. Confirmed that they're ordering a 701 motor.

Scheduled that out for Tuesday, August 11, and they got started, with an estimate of 2-3 days for the replacement. Got told on Wednesday that engineering support wants them to also replace the reducing gear, and that that part will hopefully be in today.

Checked in today, parts are delayed, apparently as long as next Thursday. :eek: Hyundai consumer affairs emailed me last night, and I'm waiting for a call back.

Few comments about the process:
    - I'm really glad the dealership took this seriously and it seems like they're doing a good job pushing the repair along. My service advisor has been doing a great job keeping me informed.
    - The dealership keeps telling me that this is the first motor replacement for the 2020s in the US anywhere... not sure how accurate that is, but congrats to me I guess?
    - Apparently my dealership just "doesn't do loaners", which seems kind of ridiculous for how much I paid for this car. This is the first vehicle I've had that's been new enough to merit taking to the dealer for service, but even my 12 year old Subaru got a loaner when they had to do the airbag replacement recall.
    - Holy crap, this ICE rental I picked up (a Buick Encore) is a POS compared to my Kona. :D

Looking forward to hearing back from Hyundai consumer affairs.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2020
    apu likes this.
  5. Pretty fast response , hope it all works out. Should be better than new with gearbox and 701 motor:)

6. I think that's a first as well, at least on this forum. Reduces the possibility of a second repair. Would love to know if they found any discoloration of the gear oil.

navguy12 and electriceddy like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Mine has once again started as the overnight temp went to 13 degrees C but only when first running, when it warms up it stops. Hopefully Hyundai Canada follows suit with the automatic motor/gearbox replacement instead of the three step procedure. Pretty soon it will be cool enough for the techs (and myself) to hear the tapping noise on a consistent basis and at that point I will arrange for repairs.:(

9. wizziwig

wizziwig Active Member

Blatantly false. Plenty of 2020 Konas in USA have had their motor replaced. Even some reported on this forum. They all leave the factory with 700 revision motors.

In Europe, they've been exchanging both gearbox and motor simultaneously in some countries. That is definitely the preferred option because for some owners swapping them individually has only offered a short-term solution.

10. Can someone with a 701 motor upload a recording of their car? My dealership is saying my noises are normal noises.

11. wizziwig

wizziwig Active Member

@Alex2802
    I posted a recording of my eNiro 711 replacement motor revision (equivalent to Kona 701) somewhere around here (see this old post for some links). But that recording was made at high speed for a different issue so may not have the slow range you're looking for. Also Kona may have different sound profile.

Is your replacement 701 motor failing?

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. @wizziwig No, I haven't gotten a motor replacement. Still on the 700. The service department replaced the wheel bearings and then said the rest of the noises were normal.

I've gotten a bunch of new recordings, and I wanted to have one from a known good motor to compare against.

I'm going in again some time next week to drive a new car they have in stock and my car with someone from the service department to compare the noises the cars make.

14. wizziwig

wizziwig Active Member

Unfortunately, most people that post recordings are doing so because they are trying to demonstrate some anomaly. As a result, nobody posts recordings of "known good" drivetrains. Someone here would need to make a Kona recording for you. A properly working 700 motor should also suffice. I don't think you need a 701 recording to show your dealer what a non-defective car sounds like. If you really want a 2nd revision motor sample, I can upload some recordings from my Niro at slower speeds (where the tapping noise used to occur).

I can sympathize with your situation. I also required multiple visits to different dealers before finding one with enough EV experience to agree this noise was a defect. My closest dealer gave me the same story - that it was normal and all the cars are doing it. :rolleyes:

15. I have the 701 motor and it doesn't make any unusual noises. Before, it was the clicking sound at low speeds that was unusual. It was faint at first but very distinct. It didn't always make it, seemed to be very temperature dependent, not when cold (sitting garage overnight), and not when warm (after driving for a bit). It is very obvious, though, and dealer tech also acknowledged it right away.

I have never recorded the sound, and don't see the point of doing it with the 701 motor if it is not making any unusual noises (like before). All you will hear is the VESS at low speeds, and then road and wind noise, no more clicking. I have had the new motor in for a couple thousand kms now, and all is still good. If your motor is not making any clicking sound (very obvious), then I don't think you have a problem (yet).

16. I do have clicking sound at low speeds. I recorded it multiple times, see https://photos.app.goo.gl/eJzYgHjzMKtnUX8F8. My dealer keeps telling me it's a normal noise even though this forum says it's not and it didn't make the noise when we bought it. They even had a brand new 2020 model with 60km on the odometer that made the same noises.

I want to get a recording of what a good car sounds like to prove to them mine is actually faulty.

electriceddy likes this.
  17. Not sure where your mic is located for these sounds. With mine I heard the clicking sounds inside the cabin at very low speeds, and it was very distinct. There was no mistaking or denying it. Once the dealer tech heard it, that was enough.

Yours sounded different, but that is probably because the mic is inside the engine bay, and there would be all kinds of sounds from the drive train, wheels, brakes, suspension, bearings, vibration, etc. So from your recordings I am not sure if that is normal or not. And if a new car made the same noises, that does not help your case.

But if you can hear/record a clicking sound at low speeds inside the cabin, then it might be more recognizable for me. Then if your dealer says that is normal, you might try a different dealer. Or contact Hyundai corporate.

18. I think I listened to all of them incl the low speed one. But the sound is not exactly the same, and may just sound different to me because of where it is recorded. Can you record it from inside the cabin? Then it might be more recognizable for me.

19. The one I linked was from inside the cabin.

20. Yeah, I don't hear anything in this one...

21. I'll see if I can get another recording. It was making a great sound when I took it in . Seems like smooth roads make it sound much worse.

22. Mine only made the sound at 10 - 15 kph, and then it was very distinct. No way you could miss it. No clicking at faster speeds.