Are EV owners more scared of COVID-19 than ICE owners?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by FloridaSun, May 5, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. cmwade77

cmwade77 Active Member

Nope, LA county and Orange County are still 10 days and you usually can't get an appointment for 3 days.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. FloridaSun

FloridaSun Well-Known Member

Hopefully, they will catch up and be able to do it quicker soon..

4. cmwade77

cmwade77 Active Member

They did for a short amount of time, now it is longer again.

5. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

Joe Biden:

Former Vice President Joe Biden and Senator Kamala Harris are calling for a three-month nationwide mask mandate to limit the spread of coronavirus.
    . . .

"Every single American should be wearing a mask when they're outside for the next three months, at a minimum. Every governor should mandate mandatory mask-wearing," Biden said, suggesting that widespread mask use could save 40,000 lives over the next three months. "Let's institute a mask mandate nationwide starting immediately, and we will save lives."

Bob Wilson

6. FloridaSun

If you can tell me how this would be constitutional???

10th amendment:

"The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people."

So, what particular "power" in the constitution delegated to the US Government gives that power to the Federal Government??? 3.....2......1...

The Federal Government has the right to require masks at businesses as they may regulate COMMERCE.
    Being outside your house without engaging in commerce is NOT COMMERCE.
    Therefore, good old Joe is advocating for a UNCONSTITUTIONAL POLICY!
    A pandemic does not suspend the constitution.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2020
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. bwilson4web

When a natural disaster occurs, the area can be occupied and order imposed to protect life (see Trump's little green men in Portland OR.) More commonly, we see this level after a wide area fire, tornado, or flood destroys a town. Normally this is handled by the National Guard especially to prevent looting, who can be reenforced by Federal troops as needed.

Any Federally operated facilities are subject to a mandatory mask rule for post office, banks, courts, and prisons. Federal contractors and those taking Federal money can also have a mask requirement. Then there is "interstate commerce" that is subject to regulation which covers airport, bus terminals, and even trains.

A national mask policy does not have to be 100% effective. So self-isolating religious communities like the Amish can follow their practices. I'm also a fan of large churches and religious schools being allowed to go mask-less ... and it isn't because I admire them.

Bob Wilson

9. FloridaSun

Natural disasters don't suspend the constitution. There are plenty of examples where governments LOST in court when they attempted to suspend constitutional rights because of a natural disaster..
    New Orleans confiscated guns prior to Katrina from gun owners so that they were defenseless against looters.
    Courts declared that this was 100% unconstitutional..
    States tried to shut down gun dealers during COVID19. Courts ruled that this infringes on the 2nd amendment.
    States tried to shut down abortion clinics for COVID19. Courts ruled that this infringes upon women's rights.
    There are more examples.. A pandemic or natural disaster does NOT suspend constitutional rights.
    I already said that they can mandate it for commerce or federal buildings but NOT for being out in public.
    States could mandate that but NOT the federal government as per the 10th amendment.

10. bwilson4web

Then let the courts set the limit.

Bob Wilson

11. FloridaSun

The courts are just supposed to rule if government acts and policies are constitutional or not. As I pointed out, those things were clearly unconstitutional and the courts decision was clearly correct based on the constitution. There is no way that a Federal Mask Requirement when you leave your home is 100% unconstitutional and any court would rule it unconstitutional.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

A state/local mandate probably would be constitutional.

You are required to wear pants when you go outdoors. Nobody disputes this. You would get arrested if you walked around naked.

Health department regulations require shirt and shoes to eat in a restaurant. A restaurant can ask you to leave if you do not have shirt or shoes. Nobody disputes this.

I just don't understand why people are so bent out of shape about having to wear a mask.

Esprit1st and bwilson4web like this.
  14. What I don't understand is why Biden said everyone outside, no matter where you are, needs to wear a mask. I can certainly understand it if you are in the vicinity of other people, but not outdoors somewhere not even near any people. And he didn't mention that you should wear them indoors.

Trump has said that it is patriotic to wear masks anywhere that social distancing can't be practised, indoor or outdoor. That certainly makes sense.

I think what puts people off is this broad brush approach to the problem. There's seems to be a lack of plain common sense. That only makes people more opposed to following mandates or even recommendations, just because they have lost faith in their leaders. And remember those same leaders first said don't wear masks. People are not as dumb as some leaders think.

Personally I wear a mask whenever I am inside a store, or somewhere near people I don't know, incl outdoors. But outdoors it is pretty easy to avoid people. I think masks are important, but we just need to use common sense about when to wear them. And of course continue to observe washing hands, etc.

15. FloridaSun

I agree.. As per 10th amendment, this is a STATES issue and not a federal issue and Feds have no business regulating such thing as per 10th amendment.. Localities and states CAN place such restrictions for sure.. This is not about mask or no masks.. This is about government overstepping it's authority. No matter what it is, we can't allow government to ignore our constitution.. It can start with ridiculous things like a mask..

16. bwilson4web

When I go to the dog park, I don't go where there are unmasked people gathered in a chatty group. I shop where everyone wears a mask. I eat and drink where there is enough space apart from others.

If someone comes in and insists on not wearing a mask, I let the manager know I may be back after the assh*le leaves.

Bob Wilson

17. FloridaSun

If I was in a higher risk group, I would probably do the same.. Don't blame you.. I actually would prefer to stay home until this is over and have everything delivered to me.. As a very active 49 year old with no health issues other than being overweight, I'm not really worried, but I am worried about my parents.. They are back in Austria and won't be back until next year, so I don't have to be worried about passing it to them..

18. *Cough*bulls****cough*

He publicly said he's not going to wear a mask to begin with. After about 3 months into the pandemic (because of public pressure) he finally turned around.

Does anybody really believe it's his opinion? No, he was "forced" to say that.

19. He actually said it early on, many times, that people should wear masks if they are in a situation where they can't socially distance. I saw him say it myself live on TV several times. I am not a Trump fan, but also don't believe all the anti-Trump rhetoric by the media. They have their narrative, and that's what they want you to believe.

I am Canadian, so have no bone in this fight. But I can't believe what has happened to the US in the last several months. We used to love going south for visits (Seattle is only 2 hours away). However, am staying away from there now, and all major US cities. It is just not safe from what I have seen on TV. I am sure glad I live here in Canada, where I know the police will always help if I need them.

Sorry to say that, as I have a lot of American friends. We have talked on email, and on the phone to some of them and they are all very unhappy and fearful about what is happening down there.

Esprit1st likes this.
  20. bwilson4web

Source: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-53378439

12 July 2020

The president was visiting the Walter Reed military hospital outside Washington, where he met wounded soldiers and health care workers.

"I've never been against masks but I do believe they have a time and a place," he said as he left the White House.

He has previously said that he would not wear a mask and mocked Democratic rival Joe Biden for doing so.
    . . .

We'll have to agree to disagree. July 12 was about 50,000 dead US citizens ago. The man's absence of medical understanding and calls for the opposite of a pandemic response makes him a danger even today.

Bob Wilson

Esprit1st likes this.
  21. Yup, I have learned not to blindly believe the media with their selective and out of context clips. I go by what I see and hear directly from the horse's mouth.

My conversation here started with why did Biden (I wasn't talking about Trump) say that everyone that goes outside (anywhere, at any time) should wear a mask for the next 3 months. And no mention of wearing masks inside. And I saw him say that live, so can't argue that he did not say it. A broad brush is a pure substitute for common sense. It will only cause more distrust in our leaders and defiance of actually valid mitigation practices. People aren't stupid, or at least most aren't. They don't like being told what to do when it doesn't make sense.

I believe the biggest issue we now have is with restaurants and bars, and young people. Here where I live, we almost had covid wiped out. But now it is coming back big time, with new cases going up every day now. And it is almost all in the 20-39 age group. When people drink, they let down their guard, and they forget just how easily this virus spreads. And guess which age group primarily works in restaurants and bars.

I fear this covid will last well into the fall, and maybe even winter, until we finally get a vaccine. The border closing has been extended for another month, so travel restrictions will continue. Not very promising for kids going back to school either. From my perspective, this is a time to be super vigilant again, and hopefully others will be, too.

22. bwilson4web

Perhaps ‘bumping uglies’ might be involved. Screening for common STDs might be advisable?

Bob Wilson

23. cmwade77

cmwade77 Active Member

Except, WHO and various other organizations have proven masks do NOTHING to prevent the spread and may actually spread other diseases.