Scheduled Maintenance Costs

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Wildeyed, Jul 22, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. If my car is out of warranty I tend to delay it up to 3 years for the reason I think you're referring to, that we don't have particularly high humidity. The fluid in the reservoir yellows as it ages and I have assumed that this is a sign of water being absorbed. On one car I had used a very cheap brand of fluid and it became not only yellow but cloudy after only 2 years. Best to stick to the quality stuff, DOT 3 or 4. The 3 is supposed to last a bit longer but has a poorer temp spec during its life.
    Since it's quite a laborious job I've heard that some workshops only change the fluid in the reservoir, thinking that's enough when clearly it isn't. The other risk of a shop doing the job is that they accidentally spill fluid around the reservoir onto the paintwork. It only takes a moment to drape a rag around the working areas. When I do this myself I keep a bucket of warm soapy water nearby so that I can frequently wash my hands and can pour it over any spills.
    You can buy pressurising kits from several sources in N-A such as McMaster-Carr and there are also vacuum type kits that might work just as well, although I've never tried that method myself. However, as we've noted before, the Kona's brake system seems far too complicated to risk a DIY job.

navguy12 and electriceddy like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. My sister's Leaf dealer insisted that after one year she needed to change the brake fluid. $400. She still curses every time she thinks about going back for maintenance.

4. Yup, that was a total rip-off...

5. Even with the sophisticated braking system we have on the Kona the conventional part of it is not much more complicated than a bucket full of water with a hole in it. The system is 'open to air' when static (untouched and unactivated). If you open up the caliper bleed screws and correspondingly add fluid at the top, fluid will drain out with the reservoir level maintained. A bit of pressure at the top just speeds things up immensely.

The Kona's system has areas that are not going to get flushed using simple means but I suspect enough fluid can be renewed to keep the system in good order over time. The volume in the pipes and valves is very small compared with the cylinder and caliper components.

Once rid of dealer service and warranty obligations you could tick this off by opening all bleed screws and pushing 500 ml DOT4 through once a year.
    In the image below the pink and red show where the fluid flows in normal friction braking using the pedal. There are a few "dead ends" that won't get flushed, in particular the pink side of the motor-operated cylinder. But while doing this the secret to success is to not touch the brake pedal, switch the car 'on' or let the reservoir run dry. Once you're done, everything is back in its place and the car's HAL9000 is none the wiser!

upload_2020-8-8_17-47-27.png

navguy12, apu and electriceddy like this.
  6. cmwade77

cmwade77 Active Member

You can also go to any shop that does this service, you don't have to go to the dealer. At least in the u.s. this is true by law.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. So while we are talking about scheduled maintenance, has anybody noticed the difference in procedures and times (according to the Hyundai Canada website) between 2019 Kona and 2021 models?
    The following 2 pages I loaded for a 2019 and a 2021 Ultimate (30K kms on the odo) - see the full schedule column.
    2019 :
    https://www.hyundaicanada.com/en/owners-section/maintenanceschedule?year=2019&model=Kona+EV&trim=KE1SEFEME400&kmage=km&kilometer=30000
    2021:
    https://www.hyundaicanada.com/en/owners-section/maintenanceschedule?year=2021&model=Kona+EV&trim=KE1SEFEME400&kmage=km&kilometer=30000
    The 2019 follows the printed book schedule close, except the website now calls for reduction fluid change on the 2021 models @ 60K kms (instead of 120K kms - 2019 book ... all other services are listed as inspections only)
    Other changes from 2019 to 2021 is at 48K kms (replace brake fluid - every 48 K kms thereafter), also @ 60K kms (replace inverter coolant) additionally @120K kms along with reduction gear fluid - stays the same.
    Make a little more sense to me, what do you think?

9. I am curious if anyone has got a quote on the coolant change yet for 2020 or newer Kona with the blue low conductivity antifreeze. I am afraid to ask as it looks like it might be a zinger and without access to dealer GDS diagnostic tool not really a DYI procedure. Guys in the UK on speakev forum are getting 700 pound quotes. That is a tough pill to swallow every 60,000 km. 2019 Konas should be at least couple hundred dollars cheaper with the green conventional antifreeze, plus benefit from the longer change interval.

10. That is truly insane prices :eek:, not sure I could swallow that pill without choking on it!

mho likes this.
  11. cmwade77

cmwade77 Active Member

So, I am confused, I just checked my 2019 (bought used) and it has blue coolant.....so, I am confused what that means for my schedule.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Note this schedule is taken from Hyundai's Canadian website and follows "severe usage conditions". USA might have a different one, if checking and/or it is similar it would be nice to post it to compare any differences.

14. cmwade77

cmwade77 Active Member

My manual says 100,000 miles.

15. There has been a change in the 2019 Canadian printed maintenance schedule that comes in the car's equipped manual and the online one, and the latter is probably the one the repair shops will be using for reference. Just wondering if the the same situation is occurring in the States.

16. cmwade77

cmwade77 Active Member

Actually, I just checked the US manual, it says 120,000 miles or 120 months. I even redownloaded it just to make sure that is was current.

But it doesn't mention if the coolant should be blue or green.

Attached Files:

17. cmwade77

cmwade77 Active Member

And of course in this version it says 120,000 miles or 96 months.

So 5he milleage appears to be 120,000 no matter what, but either 8 years or 10 years.....not sure which.

Attached Files:

18. I would typically say just do what you manual says but I noticed your manual also says to add deionized water to top up low coolant levels. If your coolant is the blue low conductivity fluid that definitely would be the wrong advice. This is not shocking as I have noticed Hyundai is sometimes slow on updating manuals with rolling changes. I would clarify with another source.

19. Anaglypta

Anaglypta Active Member

UK
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2020
  20. Anaglypta

Anaglypta Active Member

UK
  21. Part of the confusion is Hyundai's fault. For example if I were to follow my printed manual I would have been led astray in regards to my coolant change frequency and maintenance. My printed manual gives advice for the older coolant. This is no surprise as my Kona was an early build 2020 and if you look closely you can note my printed manual is a 2019 manual with a 2020 sticker applied over the 2019 on the front cover. They updated their website with the correct schedule pretty much right away but the correct online pdf publication did not become available for several months after I received delivery.
    Its possible Wade's 2019 Kona is a very late model year production and they decided they should make a rolling change before the 2020 model production started. If that is the case I very much suspect the mid production change was to mitigate more exploding Konas in context to their past experience with leaking water pumps and associated electrical shorts. Keeping in mind that the shift to low conductivity fluid appears to be only happening in their EVs, 2021 ICE Kona only uses conventional coolant. If this is indeed true it makes you wonder why they would not communicate their concerns with the NTSA, Transport Canada or other international authorities and offer to "upgrade" or recall older models if its a safety related change?

Last edited: Aug 31, 2020
  22. cmwade77

cmwade77 Active Member

Mine definitely has the cap to match the blue coolant.

23. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

While my own 2019 Kona is still in the shop, my recollection is that I have the blue coolant. I wonder if we were to start comparing build dates and coolant color, whether they made the shift internally in the middle of the MY2019 model year.