Reverse

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by lars2885, Jul 9, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. A possibly stupid question: is Reverse an actual gear, or does the motor rotate in the other direction? I ask because I'm sometimes a bit lazy and shift before the vehicle is completely stopped.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. The motor turns the other way.

4. Thanks.

5. SkookumPete

SkookumPete Well-Known Member

And there is no regen, which makes backing up a good way to exercise the friction brakes.

6. Especially if you go 60mph backwards on the highway. Oh wait, it's limited to something like 20mph or so backwards.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Try the left paddle hold in reverse. It works, regen is present, but it won’t hold once stopped.

9. Tim94549

Tim94549 Active Member

I usually press "D" when reversing before actually coming to a full FULL stop ... It seems to change "gears" without any issue.

10. I sometimes get too complacent about that while backing up. Sometimes it doesn't actually enter "D" when I think it did and consequently I once reversed into a brick wall.

electriceddy likes this.
  11. Did it not slam on the brakes? Do our Konas not have Reverse Auto Braking? I may be thinking of my other car, where I know it does (and has been tested).

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. I wish it had!

14. No brick walls for me, but several trees are a little worse for wear:D

15. SkookumPete

SkookumPete Well-Known Member

Tried it, paddle had no effect.

16. I'll try mine again, it's been over a year now. I had done a number of tests regarding the "rolling back when stopped" complaint, going both downhill and uphill at slow speeds.

electriceddy likes this.
  17. Just keep an eye out for those brick walls, they can sneak up on you:D

Last edited: Jul 12, 2020
    KiwiME likes this.