Keep hands on steering wheel

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Paul DeLeon, Jul 8, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Paul DeLeon

Paul DeLeon Active Member

Recently my Kona has been nagging me with a tone and message. Thing is, my hands are on the wheel.
    Only happens at highway speeds and relatively straight roads.
    Anybody else bothered by this?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. It's not about the hands on the steering wheel!
    You need to wiggle the steering wheel once in a while, otherwise it will nag you.

4. I'll have to say I've never had it complain unless I fully let go of the wheel. Perhaps I don't use it enough - all it does is fight me when I pull slightly towards the verge when a huge truck is approaching on our narrow roads.

5. Well, it's trying to keep it in the middle of the road. Which of course you try to give the truck a little more room or margin of error if you want to put it that way, which makes sense.

I use it all the time on every highway and even on the large 3-4 lane roads in town. Actually I leave it on all the time since it kicks in only above 40 mph anyways.

6. This happens to me all the time. The Kona uses a torque sensor on the steering column to determine if your input is different from the cars self driving input if it's not it assumes your hands are off the wheel. On straights if the car is not wondering I usual don't see a need for a change the steering input as no steering correction is needed. As electricEddy said if you just jiggle the wheel lightly (not swerve like your trying to heat your tires in a nascar race) the warning goes away. I have gotten so use to the warning that I jiggle the wheel from muscle memory when the beep goes off and by the time I look down at the dash the warning is gone. You can also run closer to one side of the lane or the other and the car will try to center in the lane and not give you the warning

GeorgeS likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Tim94549

Tim94549 Active Member

Very strange ... Isn't this all about the LKA (Lane Keep Assist) ? Yes, if I remove my hands from the wheel for more than like 10 secs while LKA is activated, I get that "nag".. Makes total sense, right? The LKA isn't meant to be "autonomous driving" ala TESLA Models. You DO have the option to turn off LKA (the buttons lower left under the steering wheel or in the Settings).

9. GeorgeS

GeorgeS Active Member

To add to this the sideways torque you need to satisfy the LKA is very slight indeed. I use a couple of fingers. That said when driving on a curvy roadway, I keep don't use the LKA at all. It is a little too weak for me. It drifts slightly and so I turn it off. I've used it for thousands of miles on Calif. highways. Along with the adaptive cruise it is the magic for the freeways. Totally relaxing and if my attention wanders slightly in heavy traffic, I am not a nervous wreck.

Esprit1st likes this.
  10. To add to the confusion Konas such as my EU model have LFA as well as the gentle-nudge-at-the-line LKA, where LFA actively centers the car in the lane when using cruise control. It's unclear if these features are combined in N-A cars or one is missing and/or the other renamed.

11. I believe the US cars have both, which you can select in the dash menu.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Likewise Canada, you can bounce along like a guided pin ball (LKA) or keep it in a position closer to the center line than comfortable(LFA);)

Esprit1st likes this.
  14. I couldn’t find any reference to LFA in the N-A owner’s manual, hence my confusion.

15. I know because I only used the lfa in the beginning and I was disappointed how bad it was.
    Until I found the lka switch/menu.

16. But on mine, the LKA is useless and the LFA is not.
    Am I reading your post correctly?

17. I might have mixed it around.

KiwiME likes this.
  18. Tim94549

Tim94549 Active Member

LKA = Lane Keep Assist

LFA = ??????

19. LFA = lane following assist

20. Tim94549

Tim94549 Active Member

duh ... Thanks !! and YES, I *LOVE* the combo of LKA + LFA when in Cruise Control mode !! So cool.

KiwiME and Esprit1st like this.
  21. It is called LKA with the Active setting here.